Counting sugar

Options
ofccat
ofccat Posts: 284 Member
I keep track of my sugar intake and am always over. :-( Anyway do you count your fruits and vegetables as sugars? What about yogurt? I am thinking maybe I am counting too many things against my sugars and worrying too much but not sure.

Replies

• Renea_Kay
    Renea_Kay Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I am not sure but I almost always go over in surgar and it is because of my fruit. My nutritionist never says anything about it, so i guess fruit surgar is not bad.
  • mursey
    mursey Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Why not replace some fruits with some new kinds of veggies you aren't currently eating, that way you won't sacrifice vitamins? There are some veggies that are higher in vitamin C than fruits, maybe look that up online and give it a shot. You might already know this, but if there's a variety in the color or the veggies you eat there's more of a likelihood that you're also getting a wider variety of vitamins.
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    Fruit sugar is complex sugar so it's technically not 'bad'. Processed sugar from things like cake and cookies IS bad. You really only need 1-2 servings of fruit per day. I've noticed that aas I got to my goal weight, I wanted my body to lean out more so I dropped my sugars down to below 20 a day and I leaned right out. So you can kind of alter things a bit like that.

On another note, yogurt in general is terrible for you sugar wise. It's all processed sugars. Try switching to Greek yogurt. It has no fat, low sugar, and high protein. My favorite is Oikos strawberry or blueberry.
  • mursey
    mursey Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I totally agree. I eat dairy but not yogurt very often because I can't find any low in sugar. Sugar and carbs can really slow down weight loss. I watch those even more than calories but I have been doing that lower carb lifestyle for so long it's no longer all that difficult (except when you go out to eat and get very tempted!)
  • kate_newlifestyle
    Options
    Fruit sugar is complex sugar so it's technically not 'bad'.

Fruits are simple carbohydrates. Fruit does contain a natural source of sugar called fructose which will need to be monitored especially if you tend to easily gain body fat from too many carbs. If your main goal is to lose large amounts of body fat, you definitely don't want to eat an unlimited amount of fruit.
    On another note, yogurt in general is terrible for you sugar wise. It's all processed sugars. Try switching to Greek yogurt. It has no fat, low sugar, and high protein. My favorite is Oikos strawberry or blueberry.

Flavored yogurt has a lot of sugars (5.3oz Oikos Strawberry Organic Greek Yogurt has 16g of sugar) which cause insulin spikes, and tell our bodies to convert the sugar building blocks into fat.

I would recommend switch to plain greek yogurt (fage or chobani it has better nutriciconal value than Oikos) and you can sweeten it yourself. Buy some fruit, agave nectar, honey, sucanat sugar or stevia to add. That way you aren't eating refined sugar and you can sweeten up your yogurt.