Sodium.. Why are we avoiding it?

Options
Helice
Helice Posts: 1,075 Member
I'v noticed alot of people waching their sodium and i don't know why.
If you eat alot of sodium does it make you gain weight? And if so why?
Or does it just make you less healthy?
Surely salt can't make you fat...?
I need an education lesson in this!
Why are we not suppose to have alot of sodium?!?!

Replies

• VampKisses
    VampKisses Posts: 5
    Options
    High sodium cause water retention, which gives you wrong numbers on the scale, also too much salt can be bad for you, the nation heart association wants you to limit sodium consumption to 2,000 g a day
  • FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    i kinda watch mine but not real close, mainly because i have highblood pressure.
  • joannbuist23
    joannbuist23 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    It can lead to high blood pressure, plus causes water retention.
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    For me it causes water retentions a bloating. Also at my weight it could push me into hypertension. I don't avoid it. I will on occasion use kosher or sea salt, but other than that I prefer to season y foods with herbs and spices. I don;t like eating processed foods so worry about sodium form that.
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    I heard the heart association lowered it to 1500mg daily
  • joannbuist23
    joannbuist23 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I heard the heart association lowered it to 1500mg daily

I also thought 1500mg per day
  • carlfry
    carlfry Posts: 62
    Options
    Too much sodium = heart problems. That would be the main worry over bloating.
  • skinnyminnie
    skinnyminnie Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert - but this is what I've read in articles. Sodium can be bad for you - IF you're a person that is salt-sensitive. In those cases, it can be bad for you. Tons of salt is of course not ideal, and it does bump your weight up artificially by a few lbs by causing you to retain water, but it does not make you fat.
    If I were you, I'd just ask your doctor to be safe. That way, you know if you're salt sensitive or not.
    For me personally, dieting is a stressful enough experience without cutting out all of the things I like, salt being one of them. Since I'm in good health and not sensitive to it, I know the scale will get bumped up by water weight from time to time, but I don't worry about it other than that. :)
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    It causes water retention, high blood pressure, heart problems, etc.
  • nytenurse03
    nytenurse03 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    High sodium leads to high blood pressure, water retention, heart disease and more. When your heart has to work to hard to function systems fail and weight loss will be the least of your concerns.
  • terryapple
    terryapple Posts: 1
    Options
    Well, for years the docs have been telling Americans to eat a low sodium diet for a healthy heart. But recently, there's a bit of a new take on sodium. The kind of sodium you use makes a difference. I don't know all the reasons, but have read that sea salt is great for you. Eating sea salt is believed to give you essential minerals. So, noticing no difference in taste, I've moved our family exclusively to sea salt. I've also read that you really don't have to worry about your sodium intake when it's coming from sea salt. Anyone else out there heard the same?
  • r99samigrl
    r99samigrl Posts: 25
    Options
    Talk with your doctor about what your ideal sodium consumption should be. Depending on your cardiovascular and gastrointestinal status, you may need to be eating more or less than the recommended amount. If you have low blood pressure or malabsorbtion, higher sodium levels may be necessary. You can modify your personal settings on here to reflect whatever is optimum for you (I have my goal set at 5,000mg sodium a day per my MD recommendation for the issues mentioned above). Again, only your doctor can tell you whats really best for you!
  • dd_salas
    dd_salas Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    We switched to sea salt too. I've noticed that I need to use less to get good flavor...anyone else same thing?
  • nytenurse03
    nytenurse03 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I'm a nurse and salt in excess can be very damaging whether it's sea salt or table salt. Salt is salt and the effects are the same.
  • KayleighDawn13
    Options
    I'll shorten this up a bit...my father has had many health issues because of high sodium levels. He's had high blood pressure, his kidneys aren't even close to working at 100%, and was hospitalized. He was hospitalized because of the high blood pressure. Once there, they discovered that his heart was the size of a football. The family doctor we had been seeing missed this..how he missed it I don't know but whatever. Also, because his heart was so big, it put pressure on his lungs. He then had fluid in his lungs. His kidneys basically shut down, but they are working some. He may have to under go dialysis later. He's only 45 and is now on six different medications just to keep him going. People don't think anything of it but they really do need to watch their sodium.
  • Newfiedan
    Newfiedan Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    the salt on the table is not where the problem lies, it is with the amount in the processed foods that are deadly. It takes a cleaner diet to get it under control and keep it there. I add some salt to my meals for added flavor but it is amazing how much more you can taste when you have it under control, my sense of taste is crazy now compared to before when I did not watch what I ate.
  • kaddydaddy
    kaddydaddy Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Well, for years the docs have been telling Americans to eat a low sodium diet for a healthy heart. But recently, there's a bit of a new take on sodium. The kind of sodium you use makes a difference. I don't know all the reasons, but have read that sea salt is great for you. Eating sea salt is believed to give you essential minerals. So, noticing no difference in taste, I've moved our family exclusively to sea salt. I've also read that you really don't have to worry about your sodium intake when it's coming from sea salt. Anyone else out there heard the same?

Table salt is Sodium Chloride (NaCl) with some added Iodine to keep people from getting goiters. Sea salt is 98-99% Sodium Chloride, with some other trace minerals. Basically, there isn't much difference between the two, save the iodine and taste preference.
  • Taylor521
    Taylor521 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Unless you have heart problems, or dont drink alot of water, its not a big deal. People over react to it.
  • xxx29
    xxx29 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    It would behoove each of us to research how different things affect our bodies. We all know that calories and sodium are bad, right?

Wrong. TOO MANY calories, and TOO MUCH sodium can lead to undesirable consequences, but they're both important nutrients that our bodies can't do without. TOO LITTLE sodium can cause problems, too! My mother's heart doctor put her on potato chips, because low sodium was causing arrhythmia (no lie!)

Here is a website with the "skinny" on sodium:

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/002415.htm

If you don't want to click on it, here's a sampling:

The body uses sodium to regulate blood pressure and blood volume. Sodium is also critical for the functioning of muscles and nerves.

Too much sodium may lead to high blood pressure in those who are sensitive to sodium. If you have high blood pressure, your doctor will probably recommend that you reduce your sodium (salt) intake.

Sodium may lead to a serious build-up of fluid in people with congestive heart failure, cirrhosis, or kidney disease. Such people should be on a strict sodium-restricted diet, as prescribed by their doctor.

Healthy adults should limit sodium intake to 2,300 mg per day while individuals with high blood pressure should consume no more than 1,500 mg per day. Those with congestive heart failure, liver cirrhosis, and kidney disease may need much lower amounts.
  • NikkisNewStart
    NikkisNewStart Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    I'm a nurse and salt in excess can be very damaging whether it's sea salt or table salt. Salt is salt and the effects are the same.

Thank you for this! It is amazing the misinformation that is spread here. To the original poster... please visit the American Heart Association's site and research the effects of sodium for yourself. The information is more credible than hearsay you may read from other posters but I second what this nurse is saying.