What do you say/do when...

Options
jjr123
jjr123 Posts: 47 Member
What do you say/do when you need that last little bit of motivation to complete a work out or stay on track.
When I'm climbing the trails near my house and my thighs are burning I say (sometimes out loud) ...

"These pounds are not going to loose themselves"! And then I get that last bit of energy that I need.

What do you say...

Replies

• mursey
    mursey Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I listen to really upbeat music and also. . cheesy songs that are in a "you go girl" kind of theme.
  • corsayre8
    corsayre8 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    One simple word everytime I find myself slowing down or backing off. It has become a bit of a mantra for me:

"MOVE!!!"

Funny thing, my spin teacher just started saying it to me as well - I never told him I use it for self motivation.
  • Daddy_Jacob
    Daddy_Jacob Posts: 34
    Options
    when ever i am on that last hill of my run and i just want to walk the rest out i say out loud " come on jacob you going to let this beat you"
  • grouch201
    grouch201 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Finding Nemo Style "Just keep walking, just keep hiking, just keep moving, moving. What do we do? We move, move!" It makes me smile and that helps give the extra oomph!
  • JakeLX
    JakeLX Posts: 8
    Options
    I honestly start talking down to myself and tell myself that they are all true if I don't keep going and push through it. Haha. Glad I don't have to workout in a gym.
  • SpazEMcGee
    SpazEMcGee Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Well, what helps me is...well let's say I'm running on the track and my thighs are screaming and my lungs are burning, I'll look at something up ahead into the distance and say to myself "I can take a break when I get to there" but before I get there I look ahead and find another goal point and say the same..."now I can take a break when I get THERE" and I keep doing that until I feel like my entire body is going to explode and then I realize that I've already gone alot further than I would have!!
  • shreddingit
    shreddingit Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I let jillian do all the talking....
  • sarah307
    sarah307 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    "I will feel so much better seeing how much i accomplished when i'm done !!"

or "If the contestants on biggest loser can run a marathon, then i can go 30 minutes on the elliptical!" hahah (my friend and I would say this to each other)
  • irishgal44
    irishgal44 Posts: 1,181 Member
    Options
    Jillian says in her 30 day shred video "FINISH STRONG". For some reason, those 2 words have motivated me and pushed me through just about anything. When I feel I'm at failure with my reps or running, I just say out loud or to myself, "FINISH STRONG" and I do it. An energy comes out of me that I didn't even knew existed and I get this determined look on my face and I finish better than my best was possible. It's a great feeling and I feel so accomplished when I'm finished.
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    Jillian says in her 30 day shred video "FINISH STRONG". For some reason, those 2 words have motivated me and pushed me through just about anything. When I feel I'm at failure with my reps or running, I just say out loud or to myself, "FINISH STRONG" and I do it. An energy comes out of me that I didn't even knew existed and I get this determined look on my face and I finish better than my best was possible. It's a great feeling and I feel so accomplished when I'm finished.

LIKE. :)
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    Well, what helps me is...well let's say I'm running on the track and my thighs are screaming and my lungs are burning, I'll look at something up ahead into the distance and say to myself "I can take a break when I get to there" but before I get there I look ahead and find another goal point and say the same..."now I can take a break when I get THERE" and I keep doing that until I feel like my entire body is going to explode and then I realize that I've already gone alot further than I would have!!

I do this with music--I make myself listen to "just" one more song...and then another...etc...
  • stacimusmax
    stacimusmax Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I just remind myself that the pain is temporary and push through....it only hurts for a few minutes really
  • TaneeisFitforLife
    Options
    I repeat my second quote in my signature :)
  • dustyhockeymom
    dustyhockeymom Posts: 537 Member
    Options

I tend to say this to myself also.
  • MooseWizard
    MooseWizard Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I usually tell myself something along the lines of "You didn't do all this just to come up short!" or, borrowing from a podcast I listened to when I was doing C25K, "You can do it, PUSH!" I may have to adopt the "finish strong" mantra.
  • TexasNurseMom78
    TexasNurseMom78 Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    I remind myself that I am cheating myself if I dont push as hard as I can. And that is also why I like to run/walk outside instead of at the gym. It is way to easy for me to just get off the treadmill or the bike at the gym and quit. When I am outside, I have to go the whole way so I can get back to my car! lol!
  • shellbell1993
    shellbell1993 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    When I am running I think of how a man named Terry Fox ran across Canada for Cancer in the 80's(google his story) he inspires me! If he can run all those miles with only one good leg, then I can suck up a few miles here and there. Also praying helps too!! :)
  • maccabeth
    maccabeth Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Since I tend to do out and back runs, I remind myself that the quickest way back to my car (and to be done) is to keep running! I also like to do random mental calculations of how much time it will take and how many songs and focus on that to keep me distracted. I have a strong sense of guilt that I would be cheating if I stopped, so I don't let myself stop unless there's something really wrong!
  • jenellelastchance
    Options
    I always think nothing tastes as good as skinny feels! soooo true!
    and for working out I just always think its not going to kill me and once you get to that point it will feel so good to push yourself.
    Good luck everyone!
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,737 Member
    Options
    I repeat my second quote in my signature :)
    I like that one!