More than the recommended 1200 Cals?

Options
Ok, I think I saw on one of the threads somewhere where it said 1200 calories is very low. I have 55lbs to lose and know that I tent to plateau easily. With the 1200 calories I'm at a deficeit of 790 or close to that.....is that about right? Or should I be working with 1300 or 1400 calories so I have room to lower it if I hit a plateau? I also plan to use my exercise calories.
Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks
Suni22 :smile:

Replies

• Sunibc22
    Sunibc22 Posts: 330
    Options
    Ok, I think I saw on one of the threads somewhere where it said 1200 calories is very low. I have 55lbs to lose and know that I tent to plateau easily. With the 1200 calories I'm at a deficeit of 790 or close to that.....is that about right? Or should I be working with 1300 or 1400 calories so I have room to lower it if I hit a plateau? I also plan to use my exercise calories.
    Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks
    Suni22 :smile:
  • obliged
    obliged Posts: 465
    Options
    i think the general jist (from what i can tell about reading posts from those who have plateaued) is that to beat a plateau you raise your calorie intake
    as for your calorie in take i can't really give you any suggestions for that, but that is kind of low
  • klikittyklak
    Options
    As long as you are running a deficit, you will continue to lose. If you don't want to go as low as 1200, you can always change your calorie intake. :smile:
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    790 Calorie deficit is reasonable, as long as you are eating your exercise calories as well. Depends more on where your body fat % is and BMI then how much you have to lose. Simply because most people don'k KNOW where their goal should be. You may think you need to lose 50, but that doesn't mean 50 lbs SHOULD be what you need to lose. Check your BMI, if it's above 27 or so (and something to note, BMI is a flawed calculation, only to be used as a very rough estimate) then 790 cals is ok, but if your BMI is below 27 then that's probably too big of a deficit. As you're BMI and body fat % move closer to normal, your deficit should decrease.

Body fat isn't as simple a measurement, which is why people use BMI, you need to have that done professionally to get it done right, usually either by calipers (less accurate) or some kind of x-ray or water displacement machine (far more accurate). They can cost upwards of $100 for the machines.
    And for you ladies, a Body fat % anywhere from 20% to 27% is considered normal.
  • zumbagirl
    Options
    As a personal trainer I would tell you to eat about 1400 calories or so depending on your height weight but to eat 6 small meals all day about every 2 hrs to keep your metabolism up...people think they should eat only when hungry when in actuality you should really never feel that hungry. Healthy carbs and protein is the key to weight loss. Try writing times down and it will help knowing when you have to eat instead of waiting till you get hunger pangs:)

I hope this helps a little.

Lauren
  • zumbagirl
    Options
    Sorry 1 more thing if you are really good for weeks at a time you need to have 1 day a month that you eat something really fattening that will give your system the shock it needs .... don't lower your calorie in-take, you will have to keep doing this to lose... pretty soon you will only be eating 100 cal:) Also consider what you are doing for exercise... if you run all the time try to bike, swim, or use the elliptical and make sure to add some type of body sculpting 2 times a week... keeping your body guessing to what exercise you will do next and this will surely get you out of this rut.
  • Sunibc22
    Sunibc22 Posts: 330
    Options
    Thank you guys for all the advise!!! Day 3 of this and I'm learning tonns!!!!