than

running for half an hour?

Thoughts?

L.

Replies

• deb62pink
    deb62pink Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I just checked the excercise data base and it depends on how fast you walk and run I guess and also the impact on your joints. Running for 30 minutes @5klm and hour will burn approx 324 calories whilst brisk walking for 60 minutes will burn 406 so I guess it depends on time, fitness and preference by the look of it.
  • boku70
    boku70 Posts: 80
    Options
    The harder you work (as measured by heart rate), the more calories you burn per minute.

It's not an exact science, but based on information I've gotten from the hospital-directed weight-loss program I'm on, if I exercise for 30 minutes at 70% of max heart rate (aerobic), I'll burn 330 calories. If I exercise for 60 minutes at 60% (fat-burning), I'll burn 180 calories.

Take the numbers with something of a grain of salt, but the basic principle is, I think, sound.
  • boku70
    boku70 Posts: 80
    Options
    (Take the MFP exercise database with a big, honking shaker of salt, btw. There's lots that I love about MFP, but the exercise calorie counts don't seem super-accurate.)
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I don't have a HRM right now, so I rely on the numbers on the treadmill. MFP and my treadmill are WAY off. Now, my pedometer on my ipod and my treadmill are very close (usually within 25-30 of one another). MFP is usually MUCH higher!
  • papastu
    papastu Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    (Take the MFP exercise database with a big, honking shaker of salt, btw. There's lots that I love about MFP, but the exercise calorie counts don't seem super-accurate.)

agreed, treat yourself to a HRM, we are all different

all the best
  • nextrightthing
    nextrightthing Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    sorry I posted this the wrong place and can't delete it
  • kristarablue
    kristarablue Posts: 707
    Options
    Sorry, I just came for the title......but I kind of think my brain is in a different place.....Ah what the heck, I will answer...neither..HIIT...it!
  • believetoachieve
    believetoachieve Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    It entirely depends on what your goals are!
  • glfprncs2
    glfprncs2 Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    In all honesty, it really depends on your Intensity. You can get similar caloric burns in a shorter workout with higher intensity than a longer workout with less intensity.