Exercise Plan Advice for Fat Loss

Options
micarla1
micarla1 Posts: 41 Member
Hi Guys and Girls,

So I've lost 2 and a half stone (35.05lbs) so far currently weighing in @ 182.05lbs. I'm 5'7 and looking to lose another 7lb maybe more. Have been losing it gradually as I wanted my skin to be able to cope with my weight loss so I have been doing this since October! So far so good but i really want to make sure that my routine is going to make me smaller in size in the most effective way. I personally prefer strength and resistance work to cardio but as I've got fitter I'm starting to enjoy this too.

At the moment I workout 4-5 times each week sometimes more but 4 times is my minimum. I ensure that I do at least 45 mins of cardio but recently have been doing 60 or 90 mins of cardio. The cardio I do varies from interval training and circuit training I have so far done all of this without using a gym. I use a variety of workout dvds and use the bits I like from each I must own about 20! Each workout always has plenty of body weight eexercises such as squats, lunges, press ups/push ups as well as typical interval training skipping, running and general aerobics. Every other session I do ab work crunches, reverse crunches, planks and v sit ups - lots more too! I also incorpirate bicep and tricep work and I tend to use the dvds that in the cardio has lots of knee lifts and russian twist type cardion components to double up the cardio as a bit of toning!

So I just want to see if anybody has any recomendations to help me get rid of my body fat. My Body fat % is 26% according to my scales - not sure how it works this out. But all in all I want to get ''leaner'' and tighter. My thighs are super toned (inner thighs I'm still working on - hoping the cardio burns these down''. I know you can't spot reduce but im pretty confident that if im working on my most troubled areas with both cardio and resistance work that it will all eventually come together. I have found that my weight has definitely dropped in my face (with the usual oohh u looking a bit gaunt - yet if people knew that i weighted what i did they wouldn't believe me!), my chest and shoulders as well as waist and legs.

So would it be good if i introduced some more walking? running ? jogging too? I have free weights, a swiss ball thing which i have not used.
Basically am i right to be hitting the cardio hard in a bit to basically get smaller. I have dropped I'd say 1.5 dress sizes since losing 2.5 stone.

Would love to hear your thoughts. Also what is the ideal fat % ? my body weight is still overweight obviously LOL!

Thanks

Replies

• smiler1978
    smiler1978 Posts: 28
    Options
    Hi
    Well done you!

Im 5ft 7 and 11.5

It sounds like you are covering most angles. Ive been doing two sessions per week with a PT - mainly weights work. I do walk a lot but my body is used to this. Reading what you get through has inspired me.

I'll be interested to see replies to this one

Keep up the hard work x
  • micarla1
    Options
    Hi Smiler,

Thank you for your kind words! I wish I was just 11.5 :) ! I have looked into PT in my area but the only trouble is the gyms I have been to they tend to not know what their doing and even with a review they appear to put half of the women on the same plan! Bet your PT puts you through your paces! I used to love the gym - but I have just found that I love working out at home, When i go back to the gym I think I'll use classes now as I love the variety of it! I think I'm going to start walking a lot more, I used to have such an active job and then went to a office 9-5 scenario and the weight crept on!

Thanks again! x
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    You've done really well so far, and your varied exercise routine looks great.

Can you incorporate any weights into your strength work?

Reducing body fat is very difficult, and requires a lot of focus on nutrition as well as exercise. I'm trying to get mine under 30%, so I'm jealous of your 26%!
  • micarla1
    Options
    Hi Melanie,

Thanks for that - well I am not sure if my % is accurate just using ym bathroom scales - which I am slightly addicted at checking! I use weights for my resistance - arm work some ab work and squats etc but usually lowish weight and more reps. You will get there keep at it. x
  • rachmaree
    rachmaree Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Strength training! Use more weights.
  • micarla1
    Options
    Thanks Rachel - I worry that If i use too much weight that I may bulk up?! Not sure if this is the case! Thanks for advice so far!
  • rachmaree
    rachmaree Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    You won't bulk up!! No way... so many women worry about that with weights...

You should get a copy of 'the new rules of lifting for women' it will help explain everything.

You want to lift as heavy as you can for 8-12 reps... you won't get bulky (unless you are taking steroids!?). Unfortunately a lot of women believe they should lift light weights with more reps, but that isn't the case. there is a thread you should check out, wait, let me find it...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/218284-the-results-of-lifting-heavy-pic
  • micarla1
    Options
    Thank you I will look into it and buy some heavier dumbells! Thank You
  • marigolds1
    marigolds1 Posts: 25
    Options
    You won't bulk up!! No way... so many women worry about that with weights...

You should get a copy of 'the new rules of lifting for women' it will help explain everything.

You want to lift as heavy as you can for 8-12 reps... you won't get bulky (unless you are taking steroids!?). Unfortunately a lot of women believe they should lift light weights with more reps, but that isn't the case. there is a thread you should check out, wait, let me find it...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/218284-the-results-of-lifting-heavy-pic

Agreeing with this! Try some heavy kettlebells if you must do it at home, or if you can make it to a gym start doing big compound exercises like squats, deadlifts, and bench press in the 8-12 rep range.

Don't worry about getting hyoooge--women who WANT to look super-muscular are often not able to get big, so you certainly won't do it by accident!
  • micarla1
    Options
    Thanks all, will introduce some heavier weights I think!