Quinoa Virgin -- How do you eat this stuff?

Options
Just picked up some quinoa @ the store for the first time... but no idea how you use it. What is your favorite way to eat quinoa? Any great recipes out there I could try?

Thanks, MFP!

Replies

• ejmcam
    ejmcam Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Its actually pretty versatile, and can be used so many ways! I suggest googling it for recipes and see what you like.
    I make quinoa pilaf most often, sautee onions an garlic in a tiny splash of oilive oil and then add quinoa and broth and cook until all water is absorbed. Its a great alternative grain as a side dish.
  • lagosgal
    lagosgal Posts: 17
    Options
    I must confess, I'm not a great fan but my mother boils it with chicken or beef stock and uses it as a rice substitute.
  • sarahliftsUP
    sarahliftsUP Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I've only cooked it once (not sure why because I really liked it!) and used it like I would rice. I just cut up a bunch of vegetables.. onion, zucchini, mushrooms, spinach, and sautéed them up. To cook the quinoa I used vegetable broth rather than water to give it more flavour.. I'll try to dig around for this recipe as it was really good.
  • Jennid27
    Jennid27 Posts: 15
    Options
    Great for you and tons of fiber...so very filling. You can try it for breakfast too..add some vanilla soy milk, cinnamon or blueberries. As my mom used to say 'it's an acquired taste' but I enjoy it now. :-)
  • SCC88
    SCC88 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Stuffed peppers - I fill them with spicy vegetable quinoa & roast mushrooms, shallots and baby tomatoes on the side and for the last bit of baking I melt a slice of mozzarella on top - so nice! Also you can add toasted pine nuts or feta and skip the mozarella :-) ... owh dear! I want all of that now!! x
    One other yummy way ive made it is to boil the quinoa in water that has rosemary & thyme sprigs mixed in. Serve with diced & roasted butternut squash and slices of halloumi!
  • kmreynolds11
    kmreynolds11 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Its actually pretty versatile, and can be used so many ways! I suggest googling it for recipes and see what you like.
    I make quinoa pilaf most often, sautee onions an garlic in a tiny splash of oilive oil and then add quinoa and broth and cook until all water is absorbed. Its a great alternative grain as a side dish.

awesome! thanks for the help!
  • shellgib
    shellgib Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    i mostly use is as a side dish or mixed in with my chicken/fish. i add seasoning to the water while it's cooking. also tried it as a sweet version with cinnamon/brown sugar like a breakfast blend...that was just "okay" though. I plan on trying a recipe i saw on BL for a quinoa/mango/black bean salad... http://www.nbc.com/the-biggest-loser/exclusives/nutrition/contestant-recipes/mango-quinoa-salad/
  • kmreynolds11
    kmreynolds11 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Stuffed peppers - I fill them with spicy vegetable quinoa & roast mushrooms, shallots and baby tomatoes on the side and for the last bit of baking I melt a slice of mozzarella on top - so nice! Also you can add toasted pine nuts or feta and skip the mozarella :-) ... owh dear! I want all of that now!! x
    One other yummy way ive made it is to boil the quinoa in water that has rosemary & thyme sprigs mixed in. Serve with diced & roasted butternut squash and slices of halloumi!

That sounds delish! I'm definitely going to try this one!
  • mustangurl
    mustangurl Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    i have a question!! where did you find it??? i have checked my local stores and can't seem to find it!!
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    JUST BE SURE TO RINSE IT BEFORE COOKING! Otherwise it'll have a pretty rancid taste.
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Here's one you'll love. It's delicious hot or cold.

Quinoa and Black Beans
    3/4 c. serving = 154 cal; 27 carb; 2 fat; 7 protein; 353 sodium; 491 potassium

Rinse quinoa and drain well. Saute onions and garlic in olive oil. (I like to add a bit of chopped red bell pepper) Add cumin, cayenne, quinoa and broth and bring to a simmer. Cook on low for 20 min. Stir in corn, continue to cook 5 min. Stir in beans and cilantro. Season with salt & pepper to taste. Makes about 3 1/2 cups.

Olive Oil - Extra Virgin, 1/2 tsp

Onions - Raw, 1/2 large, chopped

Garlic - 2 clove, chopped

Ground Cumin, 1/2 tsp

Cayenne pepper 1/8 tsp

Quinoa, Organic (Uncooked), 3/8 cup dry - rinsed

Chicken Broth - 33% Less Sodium (Swanson), 3/4 c. (or veg broth)

Corn - Sweet, yellow, frozen 1/2 cup

Black Beans - 15 oz Can Drained & Rinsed (50% Less Sodium),

Fresh - Cilantro 1/8 - 1/4 cup

Morton - Coarse Kosher Salt, 1/4 Tsp,

Black pepper to taste
  • hgellings
    hgellings Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I actually just purchased this for the first time too. I found some recipes from allrecipes.com and this site that I'm excited to try! Good luck :)