sharing blueberry banana muffins..mmmmm

Options
OK, this is out of the Jillian Michaels Master Your Metabolism Cookbook and is straight up freakin delicious. A couple notes of caution:

I've made these with GREEK yogurt rather than regular yogurt and it significantly cut down on the cook time. The recipe says to cook for 35-40 minutes, but these bad boys were browning up at about 15 minutes in, and completely done in 20. So if you use greek yogurt, I would recommend setting the timer for 15 minutes and then watching them for about another 5. They are ready to take out when a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean.

Also, pay careful attention to the part where it says 'Place tin in the oven and reduce heat to 400 degrees." Heh, I missed this little step first time around. Coupled with using Greek yogurt which cut down the cooking time, you can imagine how disgusting and burnt they were at 30 minutes. Glad I got them out of there before 35 minutes, LMAO!

OK, so here it is. Enjoy! They are REALLY good!

Blueberry Banana Muffins

Makes 12 muffins

Make up several batches and freeze what you don’t plan to eat right away. These are great for a before workout snack, breakfast or dessert.

Ingredients;

Olive oil spray for the tin
3/4 cup mashed very ripe bananas (about 2)
3/4 cup nonfat plain yogurt
1/2 cup honey
1/3 cup olive oil
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
21/2 cups white whole-wheat flour
2 teaspoons aluminum-free baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 generous cup fresh or frozen blueberries
1/2 cup chopped walnuts, toasted (optional)

Directions:

Place an oven rack in the center of the oven, then preheat the oven to 425°F. Lightly spray a 12- cup muffin tin with olive oil or line with paper liners.

In a large bowl, place the bananas, yogurt, honey, olive oil, and vanilla. Stir together until well mixed.

In a separate bowl, sift together the fl our, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.

Add the dry ingredients to the banana mixture and stir until just combined.

Fold in the blueberries and the nuts, if using.

Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin tin. Place the tin in the oven and reduce the heat to 400°F. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until tops spring back when lightly touched.

Let cool in the tin for 10 to 15 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack. Serve warm.

For longer storage, let cool completely and store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to three days or in the freezer for up to 2 months.

Nutritional information

Calories: 216.0 kcal
Fat: 6.8 g
Protein: 4.5 g
Carbohydrates: 37.1 g
Sodium: 234.5 mg

Replies

• karlz87
    karlz87 Posts: 37
    Options
    mmmm sounds delish... but i just wanted to ask the amount of calories at the end is per muffin??

will give it ago this week. :)

thanks for the recipe
  • CeleryStalker
    CeleryStalker Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    216 calories per muffin. The stats at the bottom of the recipe are for using regular 0% yogurt. I have not calculated the difference when using greek yogurt, but I'm going to eventually, as that's how I make them.

Again, if you use greek yogurt, CUT THAT COOK TIME WAAAAY BACK. LOLOL! I was SERIOUSLY PO'd when I burned the first batch. I pulled the black, burnt top off one, tasted a bit of the base to see if the recipe even yielded a decent tasting muffin, and was happy/sad all at the same time because while they were yummy as all get out, they were unsalvagable and I knew I had just wasted all those ingredients and time and would have to make them again. I hate wasting time and money! >=o(
  • peanut352
    peanut352 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    bump...saving for later. Thanks :wink:
  • snkeller24
    snkeller24 Posts: 459
    Options
    bump
  • marga79
    marga79 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    bump! sounds delicious!
  • perrytyra
    perrytyra Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I just made these! I can't wait for them to come out of the oven. I only put them in for 20 minutes to start because I have never had muffins take more than 25 minutes. The batter was certainly yummy! My muffin tins must be smaller than usually. I got about 22 muffins. Filling them almost to the top.
  • mamamudbug
    mamamudbug Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Bump