Replies

• Steph_Marie29
    Options
    Thank you for this. I've been considering this lifestyle
  • heniko
    heniko Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    Thanks Nan, sbwood888 and Steph!

Steph - please join us on our Paleo/Primal group or our No Grain No Prain group

sbwood888 - Thank you very much for your comment! Not measuring and weighing really liberating! And since I'm eating more protein getting fuller on less calories...

But BTW to squared I do track my calories cos i want to be sure I'm on track. Another person posted about not weighing or counting ... but in fact if you eat clean and eat your proteins you get fuller hence eat less calories so essentially it's not a must to count calories

And the religion part - you call it religion another may call it dedication to not staying fat and unhealthy
  • FitJ1210
    FitJ1210 Posts: 754
    Options
    Bump :flowerforyou:
  • JohnnyNull
    JohnnyNull Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    It's not about reality or science.
  • heniko
    Options
    what is it about then? Cos I would science nor reality says we should lose weight and be healthy by microwaving meal packets or downing shakes
  • Bdde
    Bdde Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    bump!:wink:
  • seansquared
    seansquared Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    But BTW to squared I do track my calories cos i want to be sure I'm on track. Another person posted about not weighing or counting ... but in fact if you eat clean and eat your proteins you get fuller hence eat less calories so essentially it's not a must to count calories

I'm glad you track, because I'm of the opinion that you should. Eating anything to capacity makes you full, and most people don't understand their body's own self-reporting mechanisms around hunger and fullness, which is why it's so important to track caloric intake. Because even professionals might think they have the numbers right, but they can be off, miscalculate, etc.
    And the religion part - you call it religion another may call it dedication to not staying fat and unhealthy

Please don't misunderstand, I wasn't calling it a religion. I was just saying don't turn it into one. Dedication to health is spectacular and I would never try to sway anyone from that. I've simply been seeing a number of these "defending my choice" threads lately from a number of people, and they do sometimes get very dogmatic about it. I wasn't specifically referring to you whatsoever, and I apologize for making you feel like I was.
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options

Glad to see the local Jester is still with us. :)
  • DianaPowerUp
    DianaPowerUp Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    It is the only way I have found to be healthy, from the inside out, in my whole entire life. And I have been "dieting" since I was 12-13 yrs old. For the 1st time in my life, I am not dieting, but look and feel better than I ever have.
  • Zeromilediet
    Zeromilediet Posts: 787 Member
    Options

Help me out here ... let's set aside the 'catchy' name (paleo/primal) and tell me why you feel eating meat/poultry/fish, vegetables and fruit is not about reality or science?

It is a fact that there is absolutely *no* amino acid available in these food sources that can only be obtained in grains, beans or dairy products. The converse is not true. Therefore, why eat low quality food sources?
  • padkat
    padkat Posts: 75
    Options
    What an interesting thread. Thank You:flowerforyou:
  • heniko
    Options

Help me out here ... let's set aside the 'catchy' name (paleo/primal) and tell me why you feel eating meat/poultry/fish, vegetables and fruit is not about reality or science?

It is a fact that there is absolutely *no* amino acid available in these food sources that can only be obtained in grains, beans or dairy products. The converse is not true. Therefore, why eat low quality food sources?

Wonderfully put dear!
  • roqoru
    roqoru Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for putting this up here. I am looking into it, doing research, etc. Consistently, I am over my daily goal in carbs, and I know that if I don't make a drastic change, nothing will change. That's not true for everyone, just me. :)

I am going to jump in with both feet and go grocery shopping tomorrow. My husband is an avid cook and already has more spices than I knew existed, so it should be pretty easy to eat something interesting every day.

The only question I really have is. . . what do you eat for breakfast? I'm used to oatmeal or cereal, which are no-nos, and I'm not a big fan of eggs first thing in the AM.
  • heniko
    Options
    Hi Roqoru!

I would like to invite you to the No Grain No Pain group which is for general low carb http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/226494-no-grain-no-pain?page=17#posts-3212928

But also the Primal/Paleo group here http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/232749-palelo-support-group?page=13#posts-3212969

Here on this page I have listed a few breakfast ideas ... many non-eggs page 7 http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/226494-no-grain-no-pain?page=7

Please feel free to take a look and ask questions in the groups - everyone is friendly and helpfum. Also feel free to add me if you like also!
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for putting this up here. I am looking into it, doing research, etc. Consistently, I am over my daily goal in carbs, and I know that if I don't make a drastic change, nothing will change. That's not true for everyone, just me. :)

I am going to jump in with both feet and go grocery shopping tomorrow. My husband is an avid cook and already has more spices than I knew existed, so it should be pretty easy to eat something interesting every day.

The only question I really have is. . . what do you eat for breakfast? I'm used to oatmeal or cereal, which are no-nos, and I'm not a big fan of eggs first thing in the AM.

I eat leftovers from supper the night before sometimes.............
  • mocha76
    mocha76 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    bump
  • heniko
    Options
    One of the most beautiful things about the Primal Nutrition guidelines, is that other than what you shouldn’t eat, there are no guidelines.

It's not about eating 3 square or 6 small meals evenly spaced throughout the day as society or trendy diets dictate. It's about eating when you are hungry.

It's not about eating certain types of food for any given meal. It’s interesting how Americans have come to view cereals, eggs, bacon, pancakes, biscuits etc. as only “breakfast” foods. We also consider a sandwich to be a universal “lunch” food, and for “dinner” we usually have some type of meat with vegetable and bread sides. Eat what you want when you want!

Adding to the previous, you don’t have to combine foods to balance a meal or for that matter worry about combining too many different foods.

It's not about limiting portions, because your body will do it for you once you get all the junk out of your system. Your body will be getting all the nutrients it needs, thus sending the proper hormonal messengers to your brain signaling satiety. Even if you willfully try to eat too much, as long as what you’re eating isn’t triggering a large insulin response, your body has other mechanisms in place to regulate itself. Still, practice eating until you are no longer hungry, not until you are “full”.

It is about the importance of intelligent exercise. Intelligent is the key word here. Changing your body does NOT mean having to sweat it out through an hour and a half of spin class every dayIt is about
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    It is NOT about counting calories, carbs or anything else.

Weird, I guess then you are on MFP for the support and not the calculator. I love the calculator and hate the "support". Have been doing sooooooo much better myself ever since I got rid of 8 pages worth of "friends" just on the news feed ("friends" are still there, not deleted there but the news feed is gone now).

I eat as clean as possible w/ very rare processed food items, my meat is NOT grass fed etc - it's just not worth the investment for me (I love deals!) and have sucessfully bumped up my fat intake to about 25-35g a day. I was struggling to eat about 10-15g before (WW frame of mind since I memorized all that years ago but NEVER paid to be part of WW. Gained 2 lbs in 1st semester and freaked out, lol, 2 lbs, woop de doo!) so this is a big step for me, I know 25-35g is still low for those on primal diets so I value several of the rules from the primal diet.
  • penmillion
    penmillion Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, I'm starting to think you all are onto something here. I've got a lot of reading to do.
  • heniko
    Options
    I think for practical reasons people in the beginning esp for weight loss maybe need to track but this type of lifestyle it's not manadatory since meats, fruit and veg really don't contain that much calories or carbs or sugars. You can eat a whole 4oz chicken breast for the same calories as one slice of toast ... personally a chicken breast would fill me up not a slice of toast.

Support vs tools I think depends on the person. Both have been helpful to me.