jicama hash browns

Options
heniko
heniko Posts: 796 Member
just made these hash browns for my afternoon snack after inspiration from my pals who were talking about sweet potato hash browns!

Hash Browns
(Makes 4 servings)

Ingredients
1 large jicama
1/2 large red onion
1 tsp. garlic powder (optional)
1 tbsp. olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste

Find a nice, large, beautiful jicama.
Peel it. You can use a knife or a potato peeler. They peel similarly to an apple.
Grate it on a cheese grater.
Chop your onion.
Put your oil in the pan.
Saute your onions in the oil until they are translucent. Be sure to do this over low to low-medium heat so the oil doesn’t cook out completely.
Add your jicama to the pan and cook, covered for about 10-15 minutes. Then remove the lid and cook until the jicama is slightly browned.

Note: You can cook this on low heat until it reaches the texture you prefer. But be aware that it WILL have a tiny bit of crunch to it no matter how much it’s cooked.

Nutritional Content
1 serving = 1/4 of the recipe

Calories: 157
Total Fat: 4 gm
Saturated Fats: 1 gm
Trans Fats: 0 gm
Cholesterol: 0 mg
Sodium: 15 mg
Carbohydrates: 30 gm
Dietary fiber: 15 gm
Sugars: 7 gm
Protein: 2 gm
Estimated Glycemic Load: 5

Replies

• trishlambert
    trishlambert Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Great recipe. I love jicama, but usually have it in salads or as part of a crudite platter.

I wonder if it would work with turnips. I'm getting turnips in my biweekly CSA veggie box and am trying to find creative ways to cook them. If I give it a try, I'll report back.
  • luppic8
    luppic8 Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I love jicama! Especially in salads or mixed in with fruit! This sounds delicious...I will totally try it! Thanks for sharing!
  • heniko
    Options
    turnips huh? something to try also! i tried with courgette/zuchinni but they tasted terrible!
  • Perfectlycrooked
    Perfectlycrooked Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Wow!! That's such a good idea(:
  • trishlambert
    trishlambert Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    turnips huh? something to try also! i tried with courgette/zuchinni but they tasted terrible!

Laugh!!! Good to know...won't try this when the zucchini start showing up in my box!
  • heniko
    Options
    :p
  • bridgeville
    bridgeville Posts: 43
    Options
    bump, sounds good
  • jw17695
    jw17695 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    This sounds good. Thank you!