Can't weigh myself

Options
Solat37_Neil
Solat37_Neil Posts: 379 Member
Think I've done really well this last week, but I'm off work and I have to use the scales there (I work as an engineer, and they have a huge set of scales to weigh the metal) because I'm too heavy for standard bathroom scales AAAAAAAAARGGGHHHHH!!!

I've been off work all week so I'm really looking forward to getting back!

Replies

• SheilaSisco
    SheilaSisco Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    I wish you much luck! Just out of dumb curiosity... how much do you weigh?
  • Kirsty_UK
    Kirsty_UK Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    too heavy for bathroom scales? you dont look too big for that to me

but a week of weighing is good, means you stop focusing just on the weight, but how you feel, and how your clothes fit :)
  • Solat37_Neil
    Options
    I don't look massively overweight because I'm 6 foot 5" tall, last time I weighed in I was just over 24 stones, (340 lbs) Scary "/
  • Purple_Orchid_87
    Purple_Orchid_87 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I don't look massively overweight because I'm 6 foot 5" tall, last time I weighed in I was just over 24 stones, (340 lbs) Scary "/

I am 6ft1 and had a startign weight of 292lbs - if you are in the UK, weight watchers do scales up to 26st :o)
    I too was stuck because most scales only go up to 19st :o(
  • Walt75
    Walt75 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Ha! I'm clockin in at 380 ya lightweights!!! lmao! jk
  • BenKnowsFitness
    BenKnowsFitness Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I am an engineer too.

Two ways, both involve water: This first uses absoluetely no form of scale at all.
    Your bathtub can tell you. This will only work if you are a floater, not a sinker. Pour in enough water, that you know you'll be able to float in. Mark the the level in the tub. Jump in,lie down and float. Mark off the new water level. Do a little math to work out the volume of water in the tub that occupies the space between the two marks. A US gallon of water weighs in at 8.33 pounds. The weight of the volume of water you displaced is equal to your own weight. For example, if you displaced 20 US gallons, then 8.33X20= 166.6 pounds.
    The second way:
    One US gallon of water weighs in at 8.33 pounds. A paint can is a known volume of 1 gallon. Set up a perfectly balanced see saw ,teeter totter as some call them ( or use one), plasitc garbage pail one side, use the paint can to fill the pail and after each dump, see if you balance out.When it gets close, just add a bit at a time of the last can. When you achieve equilibrium, take the number of cans multiply by 8.33 and the fraction you used in the last can. It's won't be exact, due to factors like evaporation, spillage and the unknown weight of the plastic garbage can. You could measure that weight,using this method before starting, if you wanted to be more exact.
    If done carefully, this will get you within, likely 2-4 pounds or so.
    There's gonna be tons of other ways, these are just two that popped into my head.
  • Solat37_Neil
    Options
    I am an engineer too.

Two ways, both involve water: This first uses absoluetely no form of scale at all.
    Your bathtub can tell you. This will only work if you are a floater, not a sinker. Pour in enough water, that you know you'll be able to float in. Mark the the level in the tub. Jump in,lie down and float. Mark off the new water level. Do a little math to work out the volume of water in the tub that occupies the space between the two marks. A US gallon of water weighs in at 8.33 pounds. The weight of the volume of water you displaced is equal to your own weight. For example, if you displaced 20 US gallons, then 8.33X20= 166.6 pounds.
    The second way:
    One US gallon of water weighs in at 8.33 pounds. A paint can is a known volume of 1 gallon. Set up a perfectly balanced see saw ,teeter totter as some call them ( or use one), plasitc garbage pail one side, use the paint can to fill the pail and after each dump, see if you balance out.When it gets close, just add a bit at a time of the last can. When you achieve equilibrium, take the number of cans multiply by 8.33 and the fraction you used in the last can. It's won't be exact, due to factors like evaporation, spillage and the unknown weight of the plastic garbage can. You could measure that weight,using this method before starting, if you wanted to be more exact.
    There's gonna be tons of other ways, these are just two that popped into my head.

Or I could just wait until Wednesday when I go to work looolz
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,157 Member
    Options
    I am an engineer too.

The second way:

This made me laugh. Only engineers.
  • Purple_Orchid_87
    Purple_Orchid_87 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I am an engineer too.

The second way:

credit where cresdit is due - thats a very mathmatical mind there!
    Weight Watchers Digital bathroom Scales - up to 26st - £17.99 from Argos
    or Avon did some scales a few campaigns back that went up to 23st for £9.99 - they are very good too but at my fullest I too was too full for them :o(