Phone got washed accidently during laundry duty

Options
WalkingGirl1985
WalkingGirl1985 Posts: 2,047 Member
It's a flip phone, accidently washed it..does anyone know if theres any chance if it will work again? The battery doesn't even want to come out.

Replies

• PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,656 Member
    Options
    http://www.wikihow.com/Save-a-Wet-Cell-Phone

It's a long shot, but it's worth a try. Good luck!
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    You can try removing the battery and battery cover and then putting the whole thing in a big bag of rice. Seal up the bag and leave the phone there for several days--don't peek! The rice will absorb as much of the moisture as possible.

This trick worked with an mp3 player of mine that went into the ocean and my mom's flip phone that was dropped in the toilet, so it's worth a shot!
  • LindsayChick
    LindsayChick Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I know this sounds crazy but my mom has (accidentally) washed AND dried her phone several times while mistakingly in her pants pocket.... and the phone has come out working every time!! Maybe it needs a date w/ the dryer? Haha.... crazy, I know.
  • Jennjenn1974
    Jennjenn1974 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I agree with the rice trick. If it has a SIM card take that out too. However did it actually go though the entire wash? Or did you realize it before it went through. If it sat in the water for any length of time, it may not be salvageable.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    Rice will work.

I ran my phone over with my car and it ended up stuck in a snow bank. Sat there for quite awhile before I realized it was gone. Brought it home, took the battery off an left it in rice for 5 days. Voila! It worked again - though it did have a couple of quirky things going on afterward. lol.
  • ruffledviolet
    ruffledviolet Posts: 260
    Options
    You can try removing the battery and battery cover and then putting the whole thing in a big bag of rice. Seal up the bag and leave the phone there for several days--don't peek! The rice will absorb as much of the moisture as possible.

This trick worked with an mp3 player of mine that went into the ocean and my mom's flip phone that was dropped in the toilet, so it's worth a shot!
    This worked for me as well. Sort of.
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    I've used the rice trick after dropping my phone in a POOL! (butterfingers...) Its not a guarantee but it worked for me, you rally need to take it all apart and make sure you take EVERYTHING out...like sim cards, mini sd cards, batteries etc. And let it all completely dry out before trying to turn it back on.
  • Aesop101
    Aesop101 Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    I laid my phone on a heating/AC unit in a motel. Next morning it was sitting in water. I got it to working again and tried all the tricks. It was never the same. What's worse is I couldn't even get another one on the way home because it was out of my area.

My advice, toss it.

Ever see Transporter II? They threw cell phones away like candy wrappers.
  • WalkingGirl1985
    Options
    Okay, I put my phone in a bowl of rice. Says let it sit for 24 hours. I'll try that..I still think its possible I can save it. It was in the wash cycle for 25 minutes, I even out it out where its warm to dry in sunlight..(dont think that was the best option..I got advice to put it over heated areas..so we will see) I have a spare phone..basic boost..nothing special, ill go back to it if i have to.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Okay, I put my phone in a bowl of rice. Says let it sit for 24 hours. I'll try that..I still think its possible I can save it. It was in the wash cycle for 25 minutes, I even out it out where its warm to dry in sunlight..(dont think that was the best option..I got advice to put it over heated areas..so we will see) I have a spare phone..basic boost..nothing special, ill go back to it if i have to.

Good luck! As it was wet for such a long time, I'd leave it in the rice for a few days. ;)
  • WalkingGirl1985
    Options
    I'll be traveling tomorrow..I can't leave it that long..I can see how it looks tomorrow before i leave, take it back to michigan (from massachusetts) and re-put it in rice when i get there.