Whatever floats your boat??

Options
How many of you feel that it is possible to eat whatever you want and still lose weight???

Replies

• Higglyjiggly64
    Options
    So far it's worked for me. I'm now exercising portion control and incorporating exercise. I'm not dropping weight like some of my MFP pals, but so far I've lost an average of 2 pounds a week. I'm living my life the way I want, I'm comfortable. What point is there to starving yourself or eating like a rabbit when once you lose the weight you go back to the way you want to eat and gain it all back? Been there, done that. Of course, I did deny myself a peanut buster parfait and had a small soft serve cone dipped in butterscotch instead, so maybe I don't count.
  • Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on what it is you want LOL
  • Perfectlycrooked
    Perfectlycrooked Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Me(: but that's mostly because I chose to only WANT to eat healthy.
    I want to be healthy. It's whatever I want(: haha
  • amymrls
    amymrls Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    I do s long as they are controlled portions and you are watching your caloric intake. I have lost over 100 lbs and i eat hersheys kisses everyday.
  • ruffledviolet
    ruffledviolet Posts: 260
    Options
    Me(: but that's mostly because I chose to only WANT to eat healthy.
    I want to be healthy. It's whatever I want(: haha
    Agreed.
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    It's all about how much of that something that decides whether or not you lose weight. I eat what ever I want, I just know that I should eat half of what I could so that I don't go over my alloted calories. And if you still don't believe that you can eat what ever you want, try the twinkie diet:

http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/index.html
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,396 Member
    Options
    I eat whatever I want as long as it fits in my calories. What that means is moderation and portion control and I will often make the choice that the calories for that item just aren't worth it. For example, this morning I made a yummy omelette for breakfast. It was awesome and only about 200 some odd calories (tons of veggies, ham, cheese). Then my husband got doughnuts. He does this almost every Sunday and I usually pass on them. Today, it sounded really good so I ate one. I have now used almost half my daily calories for the day on breakfast! So, I'll get a workout in later on to make some room and eat lighter for lunch and dinner. I've also found that not only are some foods just not worth the calorie cost, they don't taste as good anymore.
  • laurenlei
    laurenlei Posts: 96
    Options
    I have up until now... chocolate, cakes, burgers, pizza, pasta, been eating the lot (although feeling rather guilty lol) but now im at a point where i have to change my diet to meet my goals. I exercise pretty much every day, or failing that 6 out of 7, and really put in the effort (e.g. today and every sunday morning i do a 120mins Zumba class) hence why i think i can eat what i want, but that flat stomach is not going to come if i carry on eating the way i do, so goodbye chocolate, hello salad... :'(
  • srp2011
    srp2011 Posts: 1,829 Member
    Options
    I think you can lose weight eating whatever you want as long as you are at or under your calories for the day. The real question is, are you healthy? And if you eat junk food for most of your daily calories, you probably are not and it will catch up to you at some point.
  • janalayn
    janalayn Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I eat mostly healthy but I live with a chef and I love food so it is unreasonable to think that I would give up good food forever. I just make better choices and have smaller portions. I am losing consistently and exceeding my goal of 1 pound per week.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    If you have a great deal of weight to lose, you can still eat nothing but crap, just less of it, and lose for a very long time. There are two problems with that approcah though: once you get close to goal weight, your portions will be so small that it won't be sustainable and your nutrition is going to be awful.

Folks with little to lose or with fairly ambitious body fat or fitness goals can't get there on a steady diet of junk though.
  • Adudynski
    Adudynski Posts: 31
    Options
    I think everything is healthy in moderation
  • Aesop101
    Aesop101 Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    I eat pretty much the same things as I did before I dieted with the exception of red light foods, like peanut butter and ice cream sandwiches. The biggest difference is like other I don't gorge or portion control. I no longer eat a whole large pizza at one time. Also breakfast seems to help with portion control and I wasn't eating breakfast. I had been exercising though prior to dieting. So I had that down.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    I think you can lose weight eating whatever you want as long as you are at or under your calories for the day. The real question is, are you healthy? And if you eat junk food for most of your daily calories, you probably are not and it will catch up to you at some point.

Very much agree with this!!!
  • amymrls
    amymrls Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    Me too.
  • corsayre8
    corsayre8 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I don't think it is quite that simple. There is nothing I have completely cut out of my diet. If I really want pizza or ice cream or anything else, I will have it. But I won't have as much of it as I would like. I won't have it as often as I would like. And I won't pair it with other things that I want.

So I am nit going to go out and order pizza with a pitcher of beer, and follow it with a brownie sunday like I used to. That would be more than my allotted calories for the whole day.

What I will do is order a large salad, a piece of pizza, (two if I worked out hard enough), and an ice tea. Usually this still means I have to make healthier choices through out the day to stay around my calorie goal.
  • foreverloved
    foreverloved Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I think this works for people who have a lot of weight to lose and have a long ways to go mentally before they can really make the majority of their decisions healthy ones. If you allow yourself to eat some junk while still watching the calories you still lose weight because you used to eat all the junk you wanted! Eventually when you've lost some pounds it gets harder to lose weight and your decisions have to get better and better but it's a gradual thing and we all start somewhere! I find that each week it's easier for me to ignore the office's thursday donuts or the vending machine goodies.
  • RILEYRED
    RILEYRED Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    MODERATION, A TASTE OF ANYTHING IS FINE
  • Sherri0706
    Sherri0706 Posts: 64
    Options
    I started out with that philosophy, but as I am learning more about becoming healthy as opposed to just losing weight, I find that I don't want to eat all the things that I did before. Do I still have pizza, chocolate, frozen custard? Yes, sometimes. Am I losing weight? Yes. If I have cut a food out, it's because I chose to, not because I felt that I had to in order to lose weight.
  • cgomez0812
    cgomez0812 Posts: 1
    Options
    Honestly I've started cooking more. if I want a pizza I make a healthier version on wheat crust, If I want a burger and fries I make a turkey one with squash chips... I don't think it's good to deprive yourself from some of lifes greatest foods!!! I guess this reply only benefit those who have time to cook!!! Anyhow good luck..