depression weight loss and excercise.

Options
I have a lot of depression, anxiety and panic attacks and i was just wondering if anyone else was on this level with me trying to lose weight , excercise and deal with everyday life in the process. it would be very helpful if there was someone out there like me that i could help with support and they could help me.

Replies

• mandanroger08
    Options
    I have a lot of depression, anxiety and panic attacks and i was just wondering if anyone else was on this level with me trying to lose weight , excercise and deal with everyday life in the process. it would be very helpful if there was someone out there like me that i could help with support and they could help me.
  • laurenk182004
    laurenk182004 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    Hey :) I am not depressed at this point in my life, but I have been there, and I had a serious issue with anxiety attacks before I got pregnant with my daughter. I tried various medications and nothing helped, most times, the medications seemed to make it worse. Finally I got my doctor so perscribe a low dose of xanax (.25mg pills). When I feel an attack coming on I take one and it usually isn't a problem from then on out, and I don't get messed up or anything b/c it is such a low dosage. I used to need the xanax just about everyday, but now I very rarely take, I think I've taken maybe 2 since Taylor was born. Anyways, you are not alone, I know exactly how you feel. I couldn't go to the gym, or workout because when my heart rate rose I started to panic, thinking that I was gonna have a heart attack or something (silly I know) So I never exercised and I ate to calm my nerves. All of that got me to a very unhealthy weight of 246lbs, not to mention all the booze I drank on close to a nightly basis to stave off the panic attacks. I like to consider myself a success story as far as the anxiety attacks go, because once I MADE myself get out there in the world, and do things, like working and traveling, I realized that life is not as scary as it may seem. I once read that people with anxiety attacks are just too smart for their own good. If you ever need to talk feel free to message me. Good luck dear! :)
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    manda-- this will sound trite-- just take one day at a time. Set small goals at first-- " Today I will eat no chocolate-- " and attain them, then expand them. With each goal achieved, you will feel better about yourself, and more empowered. I was in a bad state a couple months ago, miserable about everything, and then I found this site and was able to start taking a "hands on" approach to the weight loss, and I've been able to lose. Taking this issue back and controlling it, owning it, has helped me become a stronger, more positive person.

Hang in there-- you're not alone here.:flowerforyou:
  • gabi_ele
    gabi_ele Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Howdy Neighbor:flowerforyou: and welcome to MPF.
    I have delt with depression for about 32 years now, it runs in my family. Righ now I am doing excellent don't have to take medication and no counseling either. My problem times are the wintermonth but even for the last 2 winters I have been doing ok. I find that since I eat healthier and exercise I am doing even better, except around a certain time of the month , but since I know that I can deal with it for what is is and don't blow everything out of poportion.
    One of the things I have found to be helpful to me is I try no to be crytical of myself, when I tell myself how dumm, ugly or stupid I am... or how bad my life is....as soon as these things come to my mind I will isolate them and think ... would I talk to my friend like that? so I made a mistake, the world is not comming to an end...nobody is perfect, not even me, no matter how hard I try... there are lots of people that are worse of then me .... God loves me no matter what.....will this be important next week? month? year?...... I have lots more:bigsmile: but I think youre getiing the idea. I can get myself into a tizz fit in a minute if I let myself, but if I stop it in it's tracks a lot of times I can keep myself on an even level. There is nothing wrong with medications and counseling and if I get back to a certain point I probably will have to go back on them. For the time being I am enjoying every day as much as I can and count my blessings.....
    PS: if you would like I have a yahoo account with the same name and you can reach me there if you would like to chat....