Alli Questions

Options
I'm contemplating beginning the alli program. Has anyone had success or failure with it? Also, another conern I have is the fact that a year and a half ago, I had my gallbladder removed so I'm not sure if it would cause more harm than good. I'm going to spend most the day researching it but would love input from my MFP Friends!

Replies

• SageGoddess320
    SageGoddess320 Posts: 2,589 Member
    Options
    I've heard that stuff causes anal leakage :sick:
  • marthamae813
    marthamae813 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    It didnt work for me.
  • AniMarieSt
    AniMarieSt Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I would try to stay away from anything involving pills. It's just extra money that's not necessary. If you eat right and work out the weight loss will come.
  • CookieCatCatcher
    CookieCatCatcher Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Didn't work for me either. I did however crap my pants on a fairly routine basis whilst taking it. Nothing like having to wear a diaper to make you decide to just lose weight the old fashioned way.

My mother did have success, lost about 35lbs in 3 months on it. She also crapped her pants all the time. And, as soon as she lost the weight she wanted she stopped taking it, and gained everything back. Which is apparently way more common then keeping the weight off. Now she is doing it the old fashioned way too and has lost more then 50lbs.
  • Kjandcuttysmom
    Kjandcuttysmom Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I've never taken it but I've read a little up on it. I have read enough to know that it's not something I'd be interested in especially because of the leaking issue. Good luck on whatever decision you make. Shine
  • Nataliethin81
    Nataliethin81 Posts: 315
    Options
    I tried it when it first came out, about 4 years ago. Didn't do anything for me except the obvious as people have stated above.:sick:
  • MyNameIsNotBob
    MyNameIsNotBob Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    I've heard it's most effective for people who eat high-fat diets. Don't people without gallbladders need to eat low-fat diets? Not sure if it would be of any benefit. And then there's all the oily leakage, as others have mentioned... ew.
  • hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Me and my mom have both taken it.
    Both have experienced the "treatment effects" as stated above.
    NOT GOOD.
    My mom still continues to take them, though I don't think they are making any difference for her.
    I didn't notice a difference either.
    Felt like a huge waste of money, to be honest.
  • lolabugs
    lolabugs Posts: 141
    Options
    I used it a while back. You have to be totally committed to eating under 15 g of fat per meal or you WILL experience leakage (which it looks like all of us have experienced :blushing:). I would recommend just eating right and exercising. It may take a little longer than it would on Alli, but you're less likely to gain the weight back and you won't have the unpleasant side effects. Thankfully, I was at home when it happened and not at work. :laugh:
  • JoyJoyJoy65
    Options
    Didn't work for me either. I did however crap my pants on a fairly routine basis whilst taking it. Nothing like having to wear a diaper to make you decide to just lose weight the old fashioned way.

My mother did have success, lost about 35lbs in 3 months on it. She also crapped her pants all the time. And, as soon as she lost the weight she wanted she stopped taking it, and gained everything back. Which is apparently way more common then keeping the weight off. Now she is doing it the old fashioned way too and has lost more then 50lbs.

OMG... I just laughed so loud reading this that I had to share it with my husband. Even if it does work, can you imagine the conversation with your significant other? "Gee honey, you look great but you smell like crap."

(My apologies in advance to anyone I may offend with this post)
  • tsmith6569
    tsmith6569 Posts: 63
    Options
    lol!....its so true though. You can avoid the nasty "treatment effects if you NEVER go over 15 grams of fat per day. If you never go over 15 grams of fat, you are likely to lose weight anyway! Following MFP has worked so much better for me and ALLI is just a waste of money...dont do it!
  • Agglaki
    Agglaki Posts: 105
    Options
    My understanding of the product is that it is a safer (lower) dose of Orlistat. Orlistat itself if known for these "side effects" described.

The idea of the pill in it's most simple sense is that it stops the fat being stored in the body by expelling it.

The pill will only work however if you start working out, eating right.

There is no magic pill :(

Experience - Worked in a pharmacy for a while and was constantly asked about Alli...the reps who sold the product couldn't understand why it wouldn't sell, they said we were not pushing it. But the problem was that people simply wanted a get slim fast pill...

If you want more info on the active ingredient, check:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orlistat
  • Wolfena
    Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
    Options
    http://www.rodale.com/alli-liver-damage

Article above explains that the FDA may be taking it off the market soon.

I've tried it, didn't really do much for me, eating healthy, smaller portions and exercise work much better. I can't say I ever had anal leakage problems while taking it, but then I generally eat a lot less fat than your typical person (but I do eat more than 15g a day)
  • haulinbuns
    haulinbuns Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Add me to the list of those that have tried it. I did not have any side effects it simply didn't work for me. I tend to eat lower fat meals as I also had my galbladder out. I didn't notice a difference in the scale at all.

Giving up pop, drinking more water, tracking my calories in/exercise, and increasing the intensity of my work outs is what is doing it for me