cup size??

leamatthew
leamatthew Posts: 162
edited September 26 in Food and Nutrition
Im away to make cauliflower rice tonight but all the recipes ive found states one cup etc...

How many grams is in a cup?? i dont have "cups" only mugs!! haha

Replies

• imogenboo
    imogenboo Posts: 63 Member
    It's different for different products, I think a cup of rice is around 300 grams though.
  • bossmodehan
    bossmodehan Posts: 210 Member
    do you have a measuring jug? a cup is about 250ml. that's what i have to make do with :tongue:
  • funkyspunky871
    funkyspunky871 Posts: 1,675 Member
    There's no definite answer. "Cup" refers to volume, not weight... But here are a few common "cup to gram" conversions:

Granulated sugar: 1 cup = 200 grams
    Brown sugar: 1 cup, packed = 220 grams
    Sifted white flour: 1 cup = 125 grams
    White rice, uncooked: 1 cup = 185 grams
    White rice, cooked: 1 cup = 175 grams
    Butter: 1 cup = 227 grams
    Almonds, slivered: 1 cup = 108 grams
    Oil: 1 cup = 224 grams
    Maple syrup: 1 cup = 322 grams
    Milk, non-fat: 1 cup = 245 grams
    Milk, sweetened condensed: 306 grams
    Broccoli, flowerets: 1 cup = 71 grams
    Raisins: 1 cup, packed = 165 grams
    Milk, dry: 1 cup = 68 grams
    Yogurt: 1 cup = 245 grams
    Water: 1 cup = 236 grams
    Confectioners sugar: 1 C = 110 g
    Cocoa: 1 C = 125 g

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_many_grams_are_in_a_cup#ixzz1L7f8YTYx
  • ajk828
    ajk828 Posts: 335
    from wiki answers:

It depends what you have in the cup: A cup is a measure of volume, but a gram is a measure of mass.

Depending on the density of the material you are going to have in the cup, the weight in grams of the material will vary. For example, if you fill the cup with lead, the cup will weigh much more than if you fill with feathers. This is why the cup is considered an unnecessary value of measurement, created by America to make things simpler for people who cook by an average, rather than precision.

This question would be similar to asking how much a 6-foot person weighs. It depends on the person, of course. A cup of water will weigh more than a cup of flour.

For cooking, you can find tables that convert cups to grams and vice versa for a variety of food. Below is a link with a table for standard cooking ingredients. Make sure you look carefully and scroll down to find the correct conversion table specific ingredient you are using! The conversion is different for each ingredient!

Here are a few common foods and their conversion from cups to grams (notice how much the weight varies!):
    To do the conversions, see the Related Link for a website called gourmetsleuth.com.

More about this
    In that we're in a discussion of volume - cups and fluid ounces, you've asked a difficult question: If you're measuring water, then 1 ounce is equal to 29.57353 ml, so 40 oz would be 1.183 liters. Since water weighs 1 gram per ml (or 1 kg per liter), then you'll have 1.183 kg, or 1,183 grams.

If, on the other hand, you are measuring anything else - oil, milk, flour, etc. - then you need to have one more piece of information before you can switch from volume to weight. You must know the specific gravity of the substance. An ounce of oil, for example, weighs less than an ounce of water (that's why oil floats on water).

200 grams = 1 cup
    Okay, one cup equals 236 cubic centimeters. However, a cup of milk will weigh a different number of grams than a cup of cod liver oil. But to cut to the quick, asking how many grams in a cup is like asking how many pounds in a gallon. You are using two entirely different types of measurement, one of weight, the other of volume, to ask the question. A given volume of space filled with two different types of materials will have two different weights. Also, remember that in the more logical English system of measurement, a fluid ounce and a dry ounce mean two different things.

1 cup = 240 ml = 8 fl oz = 1/2 pint (liq) = 16 tbsp = 48 tsp, all measurements regarding kitchen and cooking are standard and do not vary depending on the material.

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_many_grams_are_in_a_cup#ixzz1L7fCilss
  • funkyspunky871
    Oops. Actually for cauliflower, it should be around a 100 grams for a cup. http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/vegetables-and-vegetable-products/2390/2 Who know if this is REALLY true, but I use this website's information all the time and have never had any problem.
  • http://www.onlineconversion.com/

This website can convert anything to almost anything else. I use it for weight and volume all the time. It's super easy to figure out too.
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Oh. Never mind. I thought this was about something else.
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Totally thought this was gonna be a thread about B(o)(o)bs. :laugh:
  • Lazyboy09
    Lazyboy09 Posts: 190 Member
    Yep, I got lured in too.
  • leamatthew
    do you have a measuring jug? a cup is about 250ml. that's what i have to make do with :tongue:

Ahh fab i do yeh!! this will work best for me to measure! thanks :D xx
  • funkyspunky871

You do realize though that there's a difference in dry measuring cups and wet measuring cups, right?
  • leamatthew

You do realize though that there's a difference in dry measuring cups and wet measuring cups, right?

Ahh its ok, my measuring jug actually had cups on it too so all is fine!
  • boobear00
    boobear00 Posts: 53 Member
    Bump for later.....Thanks for the info everyone!
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    There's no definite answer. "Cup" refers to volume, not weight... But here are a few common "cup to gram" conversions:

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_many_grams_are_in_a_cup#ixzz1L7f8YTYx

this is fantastic thanks for sharing this!!
This discussion has been closed.