I have yet another question...

Options
Okay...so I hope I'm not making anyone mad but I really want to make sure that I'm counting everything correctly. So, I'm going to be taking a spinning class next week when our gym opens up (I've never done it before) and I don't know...does it tell you how many calories you burn or is it something that I will have to calculate myself, and if so, how? I just want to be prepared. I saw that step is in the database (I'm taking a step class) and yoga. I'm also going to take this class that works with a stability ball to work on your core. I don't know how to count that. So, if anyone has any advice, that would be wonderful. I'm new to all this and could really use some pointers! Thanks so much!

*kistinbee*:bigsmile:

Replies

• kistinbee
    kistinbee Posts: 3,688 Member
    Options
    Okay...so I hope I'm not making anyone mad but I really want to make sure that I'm counting everything correctly. So, I'm going to be taking a spinning class next week when our gym opens up (I've never done it before) and I don't know...does it tell you how many calories you burn or is it something that I will have to calculate myself, and if so, how? I just want to be prepared. I saw that step is in the database (I'm taking a step class) and yoga. I'm also going to take this class that works with a stability ball to work on your core. I don't know how to count that. So, if anyone has any advice, that would be wonderful. I'm new to all this and could really use some pointers! Thanks so much!

*kistinbee*:bigsmile:
  • diannholland1965
    diannholland1965 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    First off, DO NOT WORRY ABOUT ASKING QUESTIONS MAKING US MAD!
    You are new and you want to know something ask away :bigsmile: This is what this site is here for.
    I know nothing about the cals burned on the stability ball so I can not answer that. But with the spinning class the monitor will more then likely tell you what you burn as you burn it.
    Write down what it says after each class and then try to beat that each week. :bigsmile:
    I have NEVER known a spinning class instructor that did not give newbees a run down of how to work the cycle before the class started. IF THEY DO NOT!!! You are in the wrong class.
    I hope this helps!
    :flowerforyou:
    --Diann...
  • kistinbee
    kistinbee Posts: 3,688 Member
    Options
    Thanks Diann.... This does help. And there is a pre-spinning class to teach us how to use it and everything. So, I hope I will learn much from that. I just wanted an idea before I went in there. Thanks. And I will remember to ask questions when I have them.

:bigsmile: *kistinbee*
  • icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    Options
    kistinbee

I found this at medicinenet.com. Hope it helps with your question.

www.medicinenet.com/cycling_biking_or_bicycling/page7.htm
    How many calories do I burn when I bike?

You can burn as many as 750 to 1,000 calories per hour if the biking is hard and continuous. Most people don't work that hard, and so 500-600 calories is more likely. But your calorie expenditure will vary greatly depending on whether you're on a stationary or outdoor bike, how hard you work, how efficient your bike is, and other factors. In comparison to running, biking burns about 25% fewer calories if you equal out the workload. However, as I said, your calorie expenditure while biking is going to vary, and it's entirely possible to burn more calories on a bike than running in the same period of time.

Why should I bike?

10 reasons to bike:

1. It's an inexpensive form of transportation...no taxes, no fuel, no insurance, no tolls, no parking fees.

2. A bike lasts for years, if not decades (have a dusty bike sitting in your garage?).

3. It's easy to find parking.

4. It beats sitting in traffic.

5. It's an activity you can do with the entire family.

6. It's good for the environment!

7. It's a great way to get around and see new things.

8. It's good for you. In the Shanghai Women's Health Study, more than 67,000 women were followed from 1997 to 2004 to investigate the relationship between their exercise and bike-riding habits and their risk of heart disease, stroke, and cancer. It was found that both regular exercise and cycling for transportation were independently associated with a reduction of mortality compared with inactive individuals.

In a similar study of 6,954 men and women who spent an average of three hours per week cycling to work, the risk of dying prematurely was reduced by 28%, even if they didn't do any other exercise.

In terms of diabetes and insulin resistance, 24 patients with diabetes (average age 45 years old) who biked for 45 minutes three times a week for eight weeks improved their insulin sensitivity by 46%, decreased their visceral fat by 48% (visceral fat is the unhealthy fat located deep in your belly that surrounds and infiltrates the organs and is associated with heart disease and diabetes), and increased their oxygen consumption (the measure of aerobic fitness) by 41%!

9. It's easy to do, and you can do it for a lifetime.

10. It's fun!
    Whether you're riding around town for errands, commuting to work, working out for exercise, or simply enjoying the sensation of moving under your own pedal power, biking is the right activity for so many reasons. If you haven't been riding, now might be just the right the time to give it a try!
  • diannholland1965
    diannholland1965 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I like that ICAN!
    It is just one of the FUN things that I like to do for excersize!
    BTW Kistinbee, If you decide to take up "Regular" biking because you liked the spinning class so much, There ARE pedomitors that you can add to your regular bike. They tell you how far you have gone, and some tell you how many cals you burned.
    I got mine at Wally World so I know that they are all over the place.
    --Diann...
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    I enter my spinning as "stationary cycling, vigorous effort". This estimates at 500-600 calories an hour, which my instructor says is accurate.

Warning: spinning is the crack of exercise, and you are very likely to become addicted to it.

Good luck,

V
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    Oh, and I enter a swiss ball class as "pilates moderate effort"...if you use weights, you may want to call it calisthenics.:flowerforyou: