Push-ups kill my wrists.... need an alternative or work arou

Options
I have been working out using the Biggest Loser Wii (which I love) but there are a ton of push-ups and planks which I can do without issue but the next day I have serious breath-catching pain in my wrists. Any thoughts, work arounds or alternatives? I am really motivated but the pain is insane and not worth doing serious damage to my wrists.

Replies

• Tzavush
    Tzavush Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    You can try taping your wrists or wearing wrist braces for support when you are doing it.
    But if its pain the following day it sounds like inflammation of the joints. Keeping the water intake high helps. If you don't have any objections or medical issues with taking antiinflammatories motrin/advil/ibuprofen can help.
    Rotating between hot and cold compresses on your hands and wrists can be helpful too.
  • gameovergt
    gameovergt Posts: 502
    Options
    push up bars
  • road2peachtree
    road2peachtree Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I do push-ups on the wall or on the arm of the couch or on the stairs. It reeeeaaaally helps my wrists and I'm actually able to do more.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    Are you sure your push-up form is correct? Here is a good video on proper form http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwRLWMcOdwI

To save your wrists on planks do them resting on your forearms instead.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    Push up bars are supposed to really help if normal push ups hurt your wrists :)
  • kklemencic
    kklemencic Posts: 45
    Options
    When my wrists are bothering me I use dumb bells, gripping them while they are resting on the floor where my hands would normally go for push ups. This keeps my wrists straight and puts less pressure on them. You can also do a plank using the weights in this position or rest on your elbows while in plank position.
  • tludare
    tludare Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I will try using push up bars and see if that helps. :smile: