No processed foods allowed

Options
I would like to challenge my self to cook without processed foods for 1 week(one of my fellow MFP friends gave me this idea.) However I do not know how to cook a single thing without using them,lol If you could please help me with this by posting your favorite recipe or website for recipes without processed foods I would be very grateful! Thanks so much in advance!!! HAGD :happy:

Replies

• puggleperson
    puggleperson Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    BUmp :)
  • Walt75
    Walt75 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Gotta get a George Forman grill !!! You can cook a real piece of meat in five minutes! No added preservatives or spices. I been trying to cut all processed foods out of my diet. They pack way too much sodium and calories.
  • WifeMomDVM
    WifeMomDVM Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    Fresh tilapia

juice from one lemon
    1 garlic clove crushed
    3 T extra virgin olive oil
    1 T chopped fresh basil
    1 tsp dried oregano
    1/4 tsp of pepper
    1/4 tsp of salt (I leave out because I'm watching sodium)

Marinate fish for 1.5 hours, discard excess marinade, then bake at 450 for 15 minutes or until flakes easily with a fork.

Serve with whole grain brown rice (I LOVE to flavor my rice with a little lime juice and fresh cilantro)
    and naked steamed brocolli.

Naked sweet baked potatoes (with ground cinnamon added only) are also tasty.
  • barefootbeauty
    barefootbeauty Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Hello! Our family does no processed food whatsoever and it was hard at first, but once you get use to it, it is really easy and you notice a major difference in how things taste and how much you enjoy the food.

I can give you lots of suggestions, but maybe you want to start by listing some of your usual weekly meals? That would make it easier so you're eating foods/meals you like normally.

Good luck! :)
  • lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    I have revamped all of my favorite recipes to be much healthier, and by using fresh ingredients and fresh herbs they actually taste much better as well.
    What are some of your favorite things to eat? It would be easier to make suggestions that way.
  • ladybugss
    ladybugss Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    bump
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    Got news for you...all food is processed. It's about DEGREE, ie, BREAD is all processed, ALL meat is processed, All cheese, yogurt...processed, all oil, processed. Organic beans in a can with No Salt Added or organic dried beans (both processed, what's better for you?), either - same nutrients. I wish you the best, the only way to get non-processed food is to raise it and grow it yourself, then eat it in it's natural state. I think what you are going to try and do is COOK at home...cook and/or eat fresh produce and cook raw meat. That is not drastic or intimidating if you look at it like that...most of our parents did it (usually if you are over 40, lol) Frankly, all I'm saying is that we need to get a different perspective of how we define what we are endeavoring to do, even if it means "redefining" things for ourselves. Example: I drink a protein smoothie/green smoothie most days, well - some call it a meal replacement, but for Me it IS a meal, so I call it a Meal (it has to be digested...)

I wish you the best in whatever you do.
  • mcfletch
    mcfletch Posts: 2
    Options
    Nourishing Traditions by Sally Fallon is my favorite cookbook, and the one that put me on the path to healthier cooking without processed foods. Westonaprice.org is the site. The key is 1. planning and 2. baby steps. There is also a website called http://nourishedkitchen.com/ that follows the same vein, and Jenny has some of the most amazing recipes I've ever made. Love, love, love her Salisbury Steaks. Good luck! :)
  • BeesKnees
    BeesKnees Posts: 25
    Options
    I am loving this recipe right now! It's perfect for the summer time. And my favorite thing about these Turkey Burgers, is that they do not shrink up like most burgers (even when extra lean mine shrink some). They stay big, and you really feel like you are getting so much more. This recipe is from skinnytaste.com -- I LOVE this website. Most of her foods stay away from overly processed stuff.

Turkey Burgers with Zucchini
    Gina's Weight Watcher Recipes
    Servings: 5 • Serving Size: 1 burger no bun • Old Points: 3 pts (bun extra) • Points+: 4 pts
    Calories: 156 • Fat: 6.8 g • Protein: 18.6 g • Carb: 5.5 g • Fiber: 1.3 g

1.25 lbs 93% lean ground turkey
    1 small zucchini, grated
    1/4 cup seasoned whole wheat breadcrumbs
    1 clove garlic, grated
    1 tbsp red onion, grated
    salt and fresh pepper
    oil spray
    In a large bowl, combine ground turkey, zucchini, breadcrumbs, garlic, onion, salt and pepper. Make 5 equal patties.

Heat a large skillet on high heat. When hot, lightly spray oil. Add burgers to the pan and reduce the heat to low. Cook on one side until browned, then flip. Flip over a few times to prevent burning and to make sure the burgers are cooked all the way through
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    Got news for you...all food is processed. It's about DEGREE, ie, BREAD is all processed, ALL meat is processed, All cheese, yogurt...processed, all oil, processed. Organic beans in a can with No Salt Added or organic dried beans (both processed, what's better for you?), either - same nutrients. I wish you the best, the only way to get non-processed food is to raise it and grow it yourself, then eat it in it's natural state. I think what you are going to try and do is COOK at home...cook and/or eat fresh produce and cook raw meat. That is not drastic or intimidating if you look at it like that...most of our parents did it (usually if you are over 40, lol) Frankly, all I'm saying is that we need to get a different perspective of how we define what we are endeavoring to do, even if it means "redefining" things for ourselves. Example: I drink a protein smoothie/green smoothie most days, well - some call it a meal replacement, but for Me it IS a meal, so I call it a Meal (it has to be digested...)

I wish you the best in whatever you do.

Fresh produce, raw meats that are not cooked, boxed, packaged, or cured are NOT processed foods. Dried beans are not processed, they are dried - that is not processing.
  • april_kelley
    april_kelley Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Someof our usuals are the always popular spaghetti, tacos(occasional), sloppy joes. We love pasta dishes of almost any kind. No fish around here, we just dont like it unless it is Tuna. We also love casseroles. I have 3 kids and lots of sport stuff so quick is great but im trying to take a step in the right direction. So glad I have so many people to ask for help!!!
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    check out http://www.cleaneatingmag.com/Meal-Planning/Meal-Plans.aspx - they have recipes for avocado egg salad, chicken and vegetable stew, multi-grain pancakes with raspberries and ricotta sauce, egg and ham turnovers, mediterrranean calzone, balsamic glazed halibut with roasted vegetables, etc.
  • jae6704
    jae6704 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    If you google clean eating tons of sites will come up. Also most Oxygen mags have some examples and there is a clean eating mag out there that is pretty cheap.

I have three kids and they eat clean and it sure helps.