What should I bring to eat?

Options
emibmas
emibmas Posts: 1,058 Member
I work nights. Not every night, but a few times a week. There is not a place to bring a meal, store it, heat it, anything. We are allowed to get food there....
these are my options:
Hotdog
French Fries
Popcorn
Giant Soft Pretzel
Nachos

SERIOUSLY! I need to be there aroind 4:30 and leave around 12:30- 1am, so I usually eat a huge lunch, but still, I am ALWAYS under my calories on the nights I work because I refuse to eat there. I used meal replacement bars for awhile, but to be honest, I can not stomach them.

ANY advice is welcome and appreciated! :drinker:
Thanks!

Replies

• emibmas
    Options
    I work nights. Not every night, but a few times a week. There is not a place to bring a meal, store it, heat it, anything. We are allowed to get food there....
    these are my options:
    Hotdog
    French Fries
    Popcorn
    Giant Soft Pretzel
    Nachos

SERIOUSLY! I need to be there aroind 4:30 and leave around 12:30- 1am, so I usually eat a huge lunch, but still, I am ALWAYS under my calories on the nights I work because I refuse to eat there. I used meal replacement bars for awhile, but to be honest, I can not stomach them.

ANY advice is welcome and appreciated! :drinker:
    Thanks!
  • georgiaj
    georgiaj Posts: 59
    Options
    hundred calorie snack packs fit in your purse easily..
  • emibmas
    Options
    I do not bring a purse to work. No place to keep it. I am under about 500 cals a work night. Thanks for the advice though, I appreciate it:flowerforyou:

Let me re-pharse it. I need to eat something at night that has about 500 cals, and it not high in fat. I do not know of anything, but I am also pretty new at this,
    SO.....is there something out there that I can eat for dinner on these nights, that will fit in my pocket? Is there a really yummy shake or bar that I just do not know about?
    Or should I just get a happy meal on the way in? :noway: heehee
  • AlyssaC2010
    Options
    hmm i was gonna say bring a PB sandwich or something but you said you didn't have a purse. you could always bring those 100 calorie snacks and keep them in your car and eat it before & after. the sandwich will probably keep too. apples will also.
  • EM13
    EM13 Posts: 17
    Options
    would granola work? you could make your own or buy it pre-made to suit your cal / fat / ... needs! Just a thought! good luck. em
  • emibmas
    Options
    I never would have thought of that....thanks! I am going to try that!:flowerforyou:
  • pamelawilliams
    Options
    It's not 500 calories but very filling, fruit, apples, oranges, etc. that can be kept in your car. :smile:

85625.png
  • kimber607
    kimber607 Posts: 7,128 Member
    Options
    Hi

Oh boy..has to fit in your pocket?
    I was going to say an EAS shake...but that might not work
    How about some Kashi roll/granola bars...some are about 180-230 cals
    Maybe 2 Luna bars?
    You could bring a few sting cheese sticks but can't wait too long to eat them :)

Kim
  • laurenk182004
    laurenk182004 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    I agree, a bag with nuts, granola and maybe even some pb and chocolate chips should do the trick! Or like someone else said bring something u can leave in your car. Also Fiber one bars are so yummy at 140 calories a piece. Bring an apple...they have those little pre packaged containers of peanut butter too that u could put on an apple, or some whole wheat crackers. Good luck! :)
  • emibmas
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
    Is it bad I was hoping that one person would say "go ahead and have a hotdog" :tongue:
  • Emdicio
    Emdicio Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Hmm, with those limitations I think you're probably stuck with meal replacement bars (which are typically 250-300 calories, are high in protein and carbs, low in fat and usually have decent vitamin/mineral packages). These are not snack bars (ie, Fiber One, Nutrigrain, Granola bars, etc) but are designed as a full meal replacement. Brands are EAS, Myoplex, Met-Rx, Balance, etc. Wal-mart carries a few but you can get more choices at Hi Health and other nutrition/health stores.

Hope this is useful.......Mike
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
    Is it bad I was hoping that one person would say "go ahead and have a hotdog" :tongue:

eh-eh-eh...nono.gif

What kind of work do you do, might I ask, where they don't give you at least a drawer or something for personal belongings??? :grumble:
  • emibmas
    Options
    I work at an ampitheather and arena. I have (tough job, I know) Kenny Chesney Fri and Sat night and John Mayer Wed night. I am on my feet all night, I would not change it for anything. The arena is different, I can store food there, no personal stuff, just food. So, at least I can prepare something and bring it there. But I was getting frustrated with what to bring and still be healthy.
  • Mishy
    Mishy Posts: 1,551 Member
    Options
    Hmm, I've tried to think of stuff you fit into a pocket, and so far I've come up with

granola bar (chewy or crunchie)
    beef jerky
    fruit roll up
    nuts
    dried fruit in a box (like raisins or cranberries)
    peanut butter or cheese cracker packet (although this presents a squish hazard :wink: )
    maybe string cheese depending on how long it would be in a pocket.
  • jamdblake4
    jamdblake4 Posts: 179
    Options
    Hmm, with those limitations I think you're probably stuck with meal replacement bars (which are typically 250-300 calories, are high in protein and carbs, low in fat and usually have decent vitamin/mineral packages). These are not snack bars (ie, Fiber One, Nutrigrain, Granola bars, etc) but are designed as a full meal replacement. Brands are EAS, Myoplex, Met-Rx, Balance, etc. Wal-mart carries a few but you can get more choices at Hi Health and other nutrition/health stores.

Hope this is useful.......Mike

meal replacement is the way to go, some of the powder doesn't taste to bad mixed with water so in the worst case stick the pack in your pocket get 2 of the biggest cups you can and start mixing, and then drink as fast as you can.
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/mrps.html
    If that doesn't work eat the hot dog.
  • Shannon023
    Options
    I work at an ampitheather and arena. I have (tough job, I know) Kenny Chesney Fri and Sat night and John Mayer Wed night. I am on my feet all night, I would not change it for anything. The arena is different, I can store food there, no personal stuff, just food. So, at least I can prepare something and bring it there. But I was getting frustrated with what to bring and still be healthy.

Oh yeah...poor you. :laugh:

Can you wear a fannypack to keep some healthier munchies in??
  • emibmas
    Options
    I think I am going to try the meal replacement bars, I am not sure what to look for, but I know the ones I tried in the past were nasty! I guess I will try a few different brands.

Thanks everyone for the ideas!

(no fanny packs here, I wear a uniform :smile: ) THANKS PEEPS!:heart:
  • Shannon023
    Options
    I think I am going to try the meal replacement bars, I am not sure what to look for, but I know the ones I tried in the past were nasty! I guess I will try a few different brands.

Yeah, well the heck with ya then. :laugh:

:flowerforyou:
  • emibmas
    Options

BUT IT WAS GREAT GREAT IDEA! My uniform sucks! I wear black capris, and a long sleeve white button down and being outside in 100 degress....NOT FUN! YEAH FOR FANNY PACKS!:smooched: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • Shannon023
    Options

BUT IT WAS GREAT GREAT IDEA! My uniform sucks! I wear black capris, and a long sleeve white button down and being outside in 100 degress....NOT FUN! YEAH FOR FANNY PACKS!:smooched: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Well...{{sniffle}}} okay then....