Flavoring your plain yogurt...

Options
mckant
mckant Posts: 217 Member
I bought the Chobani brand plain yogurt yesterday. I'm thinking that it might be better for me to sweeten my own up instead of buying the fruit flavored ones. I tried a few bites of it and it was like eating sour cream. So what I'd like to know is - how do you make yours taste better? Do any of you eat it plain? Is it an acquired taste?

Replies

• SassyStef
    SassyStef Posts: 413
    Options
    I eat the plain greek yogurt...I add fruit, blue berries, black, raspberries lol I have even put peaches and other fruits in it.
  • monoxidechick
    monoxidechick Posts: 339
    Options
    I buy the flavored ones, but im interested in the suggestions that you get from others.
  • WifeMomDVM
    WifeMomDVM Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    great minds think alike - I'm having the same "problem" I refuse to buy the fruit flavors because they have so much sugar. Yes, it does taste like sourcream and I am TRYING to acquire a taste for it.

Today I mixed mine in the blender with 1/2 cup strawberries, 1/4 cup blueberries, and 1/4 cup almond milk for a smoothie - it wasn't too bad, but it will take some getting used to. I may just have to go eat some chicken or something for protein - but I'm eager to see what others say...
  • LiL_MisS_C
    LiL_MisS_C Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I put in sugar free maple syrup and stevia! :)
  • just4peachy
    just4peachy Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    You could use fresh fruit or natural honey to sweeten it. I prefer it plain but I'm not sure if it's an acquired taste or not, it's what I grew up eating.
    Good luck!
  • LG2789
    LG2789 Posts: 20
    Options
    I mix in honey and berries
  • lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I eat it plain, and add nothing to it. Why does everyone here can't seem to stand their yoghurt plain?
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Berries are good in it, slivered almonds, a little bit of honey or artificial sweetener.

The plain Fage or plain Dannon Greek yogurts are both a little smoother than the Chobani.
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    I add fresh raspberries, 1/2tsp of somekind of sweetener and a dash o' raspberry extract!

almonds and agave nectar are great too!
  • fluteqt
    fluteqt Posts: 1
    Options
    I haven't tried this myself yet but I was considering using low sugar or sugar free jelly/jam?
  • andyj1984
    andyj1984 Posts: 76
    Options
    What about blending a banana and some berries in with it?
  • bryony_pie
    bryony_pie Posts: 40
    Options
    I mix in sugar-free jam - I used to use smuckers (which is really low-cal and comes in a ton of flavors) but started making my own jam last summer using splenda. It's good! My boyfriend eats it and he hates the taste of sour cream, so there's that!
  • Rhian_81
    Rhian_81 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Add a tablespoon of honey and any fruit you fancy, like banana or strawberries. I sometimes take the time to sweeten it up with stewed apple, pear or plums. I love it with plain honey, and I use total fat free greek yoghurt.
  • olyrose
    olyrose Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I was making a smoothie this morning, with plain yogurt, vanilla protein powder, and mangoes. Didn't put in enough mango at first, so it just tasted like vanilla yogurt. Not sure if it would really work without the fruit or blending, but you could try mixing it with protein powder.
  • clioandboy
    clioandboy Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    I like my yoghurt natural, then I add honey and slivered almonds DELICIOUS
  • denitraross
    denitraross Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I put 1/3 cup of bran buds in my yogurt (80 calories)...this gives it a good crunch and it is almost you daily intake of fiber :)
  • traceywaugh
    traceywaugh Posts: 144
    Options
    I pour it over chopped fruit. it is someting you get used too i wasnt keen on it to begin with but got used it. went through a phase when craved it and would eat it on its own.
  • Staceslim
    Staceslim Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I bought the Superstore brand Greek yogurt & find it not too sweet but I think I will try to put some fruit in it & see if its better I usually buy the flavored ones that are sweetened with sucralose, I do need to try the plain stuff more though because I realize that its probably better for me. I do have frozen fruit & so I will try a smoothie when I have more time I also do need to learn how to use my new blender.:flowerforyou:
  • wewon
    wewon Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I bought the Chobani brand plain yogurt yesterday. I'm thinking that it might be better for me to sweeten my own up instead of buying the fruit flavored ones. I tried a few bites of it and it was like eating sour cream. So what I'd like to know is - how do you make yours taste better? Do any of you eat it plain? Is it an acquired taste?

LOL!

I buy it specifically as a sub for sour cream. I also use it in place of mayo and as a 'cream' base for pureed guacomole and to add flavors such as garlic, paprika and onion ect.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I'll happily eat it plain, but I like to use it in other things too:

Breakfast - with a nut flaxseed mix, or made into a smoothie with fresh fruit.
    Meals - where you would use sour cream or mayo - tuna mayonaise, topping for baked potato.
    Desserts - lovely blobbed onto a meringue nest and draped with a fruit coulis and some crushed nuts.