Could use some input on "Scales"

Options
I'm a combination of discouragement & excitement. I went to my gym on Thursday. They had replaced the scale with a new scale. It was my regular weigh in day so I jumped on. To my amazement, it showed that I weighed 10 pounds more than I expected or had weighed on the old scale. Needless to say I was less than pleased.

I did the best thing I know how. I went shopping. And just to confuse me further I was able to buy a size 6 dress that by all accounts I shouldn't be able to fit into. I found that even if I moved down to a size M shirt it was too big. You have to realize that just a mere 4 months ago I wore a size 14 sometimes a 16.

I came home and proceded to try almost everything on in my closet. 90% was too big. I was able to fit into the outfit that I wore the weekend of my wedding over 12 years ago. I haven't been able to zip it since then.

So do I ignore the scale? Or adjust my weight on here and move on?

Replies

• robertf57
    robertf57 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    If that's the weight you're going to use, I would adjust your weight on here, and increase your starting weight 10 lbs if you want your weight lost to be accurate. This always sucks when the new scale is soooo far off from the previous.....
  • epj78
    epj78 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    I hate new scales (unless they say I weigh less :) ).

If this is the scale you are going to use from here on out - adjust your weight here. I love the idea above of adjusting your starting weight up too to show your true loss.

Remember - you didn't gain that weight (as your shopping trip shows!!!), the scales are just calibrated differently.
  • Juliebean_1027
    Juliebean_1027 Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    The hardest lesson I've learned since joining MFP almost 2 years ago is this: Ignore your scale. If your clothes are fitting better, if you're feeling better, if you're looking better then it doesn't matter if the scale says you're 10 pounds heavier than you were 2 weeks ago. I've finally learned the lesson of placing the importance on your body fat and the inches you've lost.
  • carol7323
    carol7323 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    So how do I change my starting weight? I couldn't find how to do it anywhere.
  • cfinley21
    cfinley21 Posts: 18
    Options
    My manual scale at my dr office says i weigh 20 more and my digital one at my ob's office says 20 less...the one i use on a daily basis says 5 over what the digital one says. I hate scales!
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    So how do I change my starting weight? I couldn't find how to do it anywhere.
    Just go to the area where you Weigh-In. At the bottom there is a button that says "Adjust previous....."