False Hope weight loss

Options
Ok I'm not sure if this is a debby downer post or not. I know a lot of people struggle with the weight loss journey, but eventually get there. There are no quick ways without hard work and dedication. A pound of fat weighs 3500 calories roughly so when I see post about an amazing weight loss in a week or 2. Something that is not possible I find it frustrating because people react to that and get a false hope. You could be discouraging others with this so-called false hope. I guess I know if your on this site, at some point you struggled with your image, but don't you think your denial if you really believe:

1. you gained muscle in a week(at most you gain 1%-2% a month)
2. lose an astronomical weight in a short period of time(less your busting laxatives non-stop)

I just don't like seeing these posts because it discourages other who are really trying to lose weight the right way. I know there are others out there that feel this way, but just had to vent hehe, couldn't study for a second.

Mikey

Replies

• kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    my only response to this is that people shouldn't really compare themselves to anyone else, "good" or "bad" for any reason. everybody is different, and what works for someone doesn't work for another.

also, someone might lose a lot of weight in a week or two, but it might not be fat - it could be water, or worse, muscle. so it's not really about the scale.

just do what you do at the pace that you do it most comfortably, and it's all good.
  • Naomi91
    Naomi91 Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    People shouldn't compare to others... but they do. So I completely agree that it gives false hope.

Sure people lose a lot of weight in a week, but what Mikey is talking about is when people claim it is fat
  • Dove1216
    Dove1216 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I unstand Mikey...I had the same feelings...Like others have said don't compare yourself to others...I have alot of weight to lose over 100 pounds and I have made up my mind I can only do it JUST FOR TODAY and that is what gets me through it all. Please think positive make friends...get that support that is needed so much from others...Hang in there every step you take every ounce you lose is moving forward everyday...Think of how it will make you feel inside just getting through one day at a time....I am with you & understand 100%.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    Good point mikey. It would be so much more beneficial to compare weights in percentages instead of pounds. I think that would be the best was to put things into perspective. Especially for those trying to loose the last five.