How do you prepare salmon?

Options
Never cooked salmon before and scared to try...how long do you grill it or bake it and what's the tastiest and healthiest way to marinate it??

Replies

• Cmuchoa
    Cmuchoa Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Real simple and easy recipe here. Dust the filets with whole wheat flour. On the stove top take a pan, add some olive oil, lemon/pepper seasoning, white cooking wine, lemon juice and heat on medium flame - then add some minced garlic and when it starts to brown put in the salmon. Cook for 4 mins and then with a spatula flip and cook another 3 mins.

I serve mine with spinach and rice.

P.S. I cook my spinach with wine, lemon juice & lemon/pepper seasonings too.
  • jamaka1
    jamaka1 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    i marinate in salad dressing & bake in toaster broil for 10=15 mins, you can brush with bbq sauce; mmm
  • makeachange22
    makeachange22 Posts: 151
    Options
    we either fry pan ours with pam, and a dash of something whatever we want.
    or bake it in the oven with lemon and dill
    both really good
  • 143sunflower
    Options
    I put mine in foil (wrapped) with molly mcbutter and mrs. dash...sliced onions and place on the grill...ummmmmmm
  • curvygirl512
    curvygirl512 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Skin side down, lightly coat in olive oil, bake in oven with herbs/lemon just until it flakes. I like dill or tarragon, fresh from the garden. Mmmm.
  • healthyjen342
    healthyjen342 Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    bumpety bump! I usually bake mine with lemon juice..interested in other responses
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    bump:flowerforyou:
  • _eislek_
    _eislek_ Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I either cook it in a pan with EVOO and salt (I can't get enough salt!) or in a pyrex dish in the oven until it's done. I don't know specific times I just keep checking it.
  • Jade_Butterfly
    Jade_Butterfly Posts: 2,963 Member
    Options
    A bit of lemon pepper baked on 350 for 15-20 min!
  • SMarie10
    SMarie10 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    Do you have a Penzey Spice store around. They have a spice - Northwoods Seasoning that is to die for. Almost like a dry savory BBQ - I use that spice and either bake or grill my salmon. Fish is super easy to bake - don't bake too long. Max 10-12 min, with about 5-6 minutes per side.

If you want to try something simple, there is always lemon -pepper seasoning... Too bland for me, but safe if you're a new cook.
  • LG2789
    LG2789 Posts: 20
    Options
    I rub a little olive oil on it, sprinkle with salt and paper, garlic power and basil and pan fry with a little bit more olive oil. I also bake it sometimes at about 400 degrees until it's done!

The garlic and basil are so simple but taste so delicious! Oh, and then squeeze lemon juice on top once it's done.
  • TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Sprinkle with salt, pepper and then rub with chili powder (and a little cayenne if you like it spicy). Place 1 tsp olive oil in a pan - get oil really hot. Put in fish. Press down with the spatula until the bottom side is crisp. flip over, season other side and repeat.

Serve with black bean salad (black beans, corn, avocado, tomato, onion, minced jalepeno or jalepeno dust, cilantro, red wine vinegar, lemon juice and a little salt/pepper)
  • LG2789
    LG2789 Posts: 20
    Options
    And you know when it's done when it flakes apart nicely, and the inside is no longer a deeper pink/red.
  • gozdeh
    gozdeh Posts: 59
    Options
    I usually buy smoked salmon and dont cook it at all. Make it a sandwich or put it in salad! Yummmmm! :)
  • bsexton3
    bsexton3 Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Always cook it on the grill, with a bit of parsley and slices of lemon. Have wrapped it completely in foil and added asparagus with it, both get done about the same time, and this keeps the moisture in. No need to add any other oils or calories. Also have simply cooked skin side down directly on the grill. When done, take the meat off and leave the skin on the grill. Will clean off afterwards.

Like all fish, simply cook until completely flakey. If it is still soft in the middle and not a solid flake, leave on a little longer.

I catch salmon on the river here in town. I enjoy smoking it as well. When I filet the salmon, I collect the little scraps off the bones. That I saute with a little oil or butter than put into an omelet. Salmon is one of the sweetest fish, so needs no added flavor. Enjoy.
  • Irene8509
    Irene8509 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I grill it. While the grill is heating up (and it should be very hot for salmon), I marinate the salmon in olive oil and butter. Coat the grill with a non-stick spray like Pam (be careful) and grill the salmon skinless side first for 3 minutes. After 3 minutes turn over and cook the skin side for another 3 minutes. When done place the spatula just above the skin and ease the salmon off the grill (leaving the skin so as not to have to do it in the kitchen). If unsure go on youtube there are several videos on how to grill salmon. hope this helps...
  • kateanne27
    kateanne27 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I had some for dinner tonight! Very easy prep I laid out a handful of asparagus spears on a big piece of parchment paper, put the fillet on top, spread on a mixture of light cream cheese, dijon mustard, sauteed chopped onions, green peppers and garlic, chives and basil and black pepper. (sounds like a lot but it took 10 minutes with the chopping and sauteeing to make the sauce, if I am really lazy I just use mustard on its own or low fat herb cream cheese) fold up the paper into a packet and bake at 375 for 20 minutes
  • jllipson
    jllipson Posts: 646
    Options
    Mine is super simple - slice a lemon, place on both sides of salmon in grill basket and gril 5-10 minutes (until it flakes.

Other option, spray broiler pan with cooking spray, place salmon on pan, cover with sliced lemons and bake for 10-15 minutes in oven.
  • muffintopminx
    muffintopminx Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    • Wrap in foil
    • Swipe on EVOO
    • Season with salt and pepper
    • Cover with finely chopped garlic, sliced shallots and sliced lemons
    • Wrap the foil around it and bake the shizzle out of it, like for at least 45min.

I know this sounds completely insane, but I don't like my fish to be fishy and so I usually overcook it. That's why the foil is good, keeps it moist!
  • alb_photog
    alb_photog Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Crispy Orange-Glazed Salmon

2/3 cup orange juice
    3 TBS rice wine vinegar
    2 TBS soy sauce
    1 small chile pepper, thinly sliced and seeded
    1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
    1 (1-inch) piece fresh ginger, grated
    2-4 (4 to 6 ounce) salmon filets
    2 TBS olive oil, divided
    salt, to taste
    fresh ground pepper, to taste
    2 TBS honey

Garnished Hot Cooked Rice

1. Stir together first 6 ingredients in a glass baking dish or shallow bowl. Add salmon and drizzle with 1 TBS of olive oil, turning to coat evenly. Marinate at least 30 minutes. Remove salmon, reserving maranade, and season with salt and pepper.

2. Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat, and add remaining 1 TBS of olive oil. Cook salmon 3 to 4 minutes per side, or until fish begins to flake with fork; remove from pan. Pour reserved marinade into skillet, and add honey. Heat about 3 minutes or until syrupy. Serve Salmon warm over mound of rice, topped with sauce.

Garnish hot cooked rice with bean sprouts, chopped fresh cilantro, shaved carrots.