Ideal Heart Rates?

Options
Got into a discussion with my brother about ideal heart rates while working out and what heart rate promotes more fat burning than calorie burning....

Apparently it's better to be between 130-160 bpm for me (Age 22)

But when I'm normally on the elliptical I'm always around 170, which he then told me that that just burns calories instead of fat which is bad....

I also feel as though to just be at 155BPM during a workout I'll be going kinda slow on the elliptical.... I duno....

Does anyone have an opinion on this, or solid data about it?

I'm a noob when it comes to all this scientific stuff when it comes to working out, I always just figured if I go to the gym and go hard the pounds will drop, but if there's anything I can do to make the weight drop any faster that would be AWESOME!!!!

Replies

• chuckyp
    chuckyp Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    What zone you want to be in depends on what you're trying to accomplish. (i.e. maximum fat burning or improved cardio fitness).

Here's a link to a brief explanation about the zones. I'm sure you can Google a lot more about it.

http://exercise.about.com/od/cardioworkouts/g/targetheartratezones.htm
  • BabyDuchess
    BabyDuchess Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I'd like to know too because I'm always way above my target rate and like you I would have to really slow down to be within my range. I did notice a trainer at the gym running on the elliptical.....so I don't know?
  • BabyDuchess
    BabyDuchess Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I found this one that indicates that higher intensity workouts is best for fat burn.....I'm glad to hear it! http://whatscookingamerica.net/HealthBeauty/HighIntensityWorkout.htm
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    Umm...your brother realizes that the only way to burn fat is to burn calories, right? Which fat is comprised of...calories.

The "zones" are arguable among people with different levels of fitness and goals in mind. For someone who is not used to intense routines, a higher HR will make them feel like their hearts are going to jump out of their chest. As their levels of fitness improve, they can start pushing a bit harder in order for their HR to elevate.

The simple part of it is, higher HR output will maximize the number of calories burned per minute. The length of time that your HR is extremely high, will have an effect on your body. Longer durations of an elevated HR will burn the most calories, but will also burn a bit more muscle than if you were to be at a lower HR. To maximize optimal calorie burns with the least affect on muscle tearing, HIIT routines are usually recommended. Switching from a low-moderate pace to short bursts of high intensity will shoot your HR up, then immediately follow it up with short recovery periods of low-moderate pace, then repeat.

The positive aspects of HIIT routines are that they are effective in significantly burning calories in a short amount of time, as such, you don't need to to long periods of a HIIT routine. Also, there is a bit of a thermogenic effect of having your muscles create an after-burn, so that your body is burning more calories when you're not working out. Third, you can increase your level of fitness in a faster period of time than if you were to go for longer periods of time at the same pace. Lastly, interval training allows your body to not get used to a specific routine, because once it does, it will actually take longer for your body to start burning the same amount of calories for a certain length of time; i.e. if you are at a moderate pace on the elliptical for half an hour usually, once you start losing weight and your body begins to adjust to the routine of that moderate pace, since your level of fitness will have allowed you to get used to it and may not elevate your HR as fast as it used to, you would have to increase the duration of time just to get the same amount of calories burned.

Interval training keeps your body guessing as to what's coming next, so your metabolism should remain relatively high. PM me if you would like a bit more variation of incorporating HIIT routines on the elliptical. I've used it to lose the amount of weight that I have, so I can attest to its effectiveness. Otherwise, I wish you success on your journey.
  • a_reyes9288
    a_reyes9288 Posts: 36
    Options
    Umm...your brother realizes that the only way to burn fat is to burn calories, right? Which fat is comprised of...calories.

The "zones" are arguable among people with different levels of fitness and goals in mind. For someone who is not used to intense routines, a higher HR will make them feel like their hearts are going to jump out of their chest. As their levels of fitness improve, they can start pushing a bit harder in order for their HR to elevate.

The simple part of it is, higher HR output will maximize the number of calories burned per minute. The length of time that your HR is extremely high, will have an effect on your body. Longer durations of an elevated HR will burn the most calories, but will also burn a bit more muscle than if you were to be at a lower HR. To maximize optimal calorie burns with the least affect on muscle tearing, HIIT routines are usually recommended. Switching from a low-moderate pace to short bursts of high intensity will shoot your HR up, then immediately follow it up with short recovery periods of low-moderate pace, then repeat.

The positive aspects of HIIT routines are that they are effective in significantly burning calories in a short amount of time, as such, you don't need to to long periods of a HIIT routine. Also, there is a bit of a thermogenic effect of having your muscles create an after-burn, so that your body is burning more calories when you're not working out. Third, you can increase your level of fitness in a faster period of time than if you were to go for longer periods of time at the same pace. Lastly, interval training allows your body to not get used to a specific routine, because once it does, it will actually take longer for your body to start burning the same amount of calories for a certain length of time; i.e. if you are at a moderate pace on the elliptical for half an hour usually, once you start losing weight and your body begins to adjust to the routine of that moderate pace, since your level of fitness will have allowed you to get used to it and may not elevate your HR as fast as it used to, you would have to increase the duration of time just to get the same amount of calories burned.

Interval training keeps your body guessing as to what's coming next, so your metabolism should remain relatively high. PM me if you would like a bit more variation of incorporating HIIT routines on the elliptical. I've used it to lose the amount of weight that I have, so I can attest to its effectiveness. Otherwise, I wish you success on your journey.

Thanks for the info.... I'm not sure entirely what my brother was talking about but he did say something about interval training being the way to go.... I think he was speaking along the lines that an elevated HR will burn some of your muscle... something about lactic acid? (sp) i duno..... but I did see you mention that in your post....

My ultimate goal is just to lose weight, so whatever can get me there so be it..... I see you've lost a great deal of weight which is FANTASTIC!!! (tell me your secret!!)

I'm going to friend you..... any helpful info you can give me would be great!! I'm always up for some fitness advice as long as it can be explained to me in simplified terms lol

Thanks for all the other info guys... tons of help!! Good luck to everyone!!