How do you decide your goals?

Options
I'm aiming at the big 50 lbs lost mark, and it will soon be time to set the next date and number.

My next big goal is onederland, which *hopefully* at tomorrow's weigh in will be 33 pounds away.

So how do you decide your next goal, and when it will be? Do you shoot for a special day, or just calculate a safe weight loss and time in the future?

Replies

• faerybun
    faerybun Posts: 65
    Options
    Well right now i have a mini goal of reaching 135 before June 18th, the day of a concert. I dunno, certain dates like that really motivate me and keep me on track. If it's just some random day, I can't grab enough motivation, really.

But when I'm working out and listening to the beats I'm looking forward to hearing x amount of pounds lighter, quitting after twenty minutes doesn't sound so appealing.

:]
  • Aesop101
    Aesop101 Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    I set my first major goal at 60 just because I felt It would be the weight that people would notice. Not a good idea to do that. However, at 63 lbs lost is when I got my first comments.

I haven't set any more goals. Not sure why. Just trying to figure things out. Well I suppose I fear setting these goals and then going to extremes to accomplish them. Then too, it's a life time commitment. So I want to focus on losing weight but remember that it's health we are talking about.

Nothing wrong with setting goals though. Just make sure they are reasonable. I did set a goal where I calculated my average weight loss then deducted a couple of pounds. I gave that one up because of the above reasons.
  • significance
    significance Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    My big goal is the mid-way point of my healthy BMI, which is also a weight that I have maintained stably and comfortably in the past.

My mini-goal was the top of my healthy weight range, which I reached recently.

I didn't set goal-dates as such, but set a target weight loss rate of 0.5kg/week and aimed for that.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    My goal is to lose about 55 pounds total. I've lost 13.5. My plan was for the weight loss to take about a year, broken up by my third pregnancy. I'd hoped to lose 25 pounds (30 if I was really lucky) before I got pregnant, which was a 6 month timeline. I didn't reach that goal. I tried, but wasn't always able to get the gym consistently and for my body, that's more important than the healthiest diet ever. I'm a little disappointed since I was only halfway to my halfway goal. But, it did put me at just about the same weight I was when I got pregnant the first time, so it's better than nothing! And, since my diet has changed drastically and I still try to make it to the gym 5 days a week I know this pregnancy will be much healthier and I may not even gain much weight. (I only gained 30 pounds with each pregnancy, 20 of which I lost the week after giving birth.)

So now my goal is simply to reach my goal weight of somewhere between 125 and 140. I'll decide when exactly I'm done when I see how I look and feel and how much body fat I have. And how much work I feel like putting into it. If I'm healthy and looking great at 140, I'll stop there. If I still need to burn fat (which I probably will) I'll work toward 125. I don't really have a timeline set, but I'm thinking a year after my next baby is born will be about right, though I'm hoping it'll happen in more like 6-9 months.
  • Shadowcasting
    Shadowcasting Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    My final "goal" is about 10 pounds below what I call my "normal fat weight." My "normal fat weight" is the weight I had been maintaining as an adult for a good amount of time.

I'm not quite sure what happened, but 30 hit me like a Mack-freakin-truck. I didn't make any adjustments for it, though, and over 3-4 years I gained 70 pounds. Yeah. BAD.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I didn't set a goal date - I didn't want to feel pressured to reach a certain point by this date or that date. I just feel like - for me - that's WAY too much pressure on me to succeed and if I don't meet it, then I'll feel like a failure. Instead, I set an ultimate goal of 150lbs. Along the way, I set mini goals for myself - such as lose enough to not need plus size clothes anymore, etc.

I reached my goal in September of last year. It was a long, hard road... but I did it.

Due to some injuries, I gained a few pounds between November and March. However, I've gotten the injury weight (I believe it was more water retention from the medications I was on than actual weight) back off and am staying around 150-151lbs (though I DO fluctuate up to 5lbs through the day).