Reebok Precision XT heart rate monitor...

Options
Do any of you have one of these? I have a couple of questions about using it. Also, where do you place a HRM-above or below your boobs? The manual says to place it over your heart--I'm not wure where to wear it. Any help?

Replies

• FitMomof3
    FitMomof3 Posts: 147
    Options
    Do any of you have one of these? I have a couple of questions about using it. Also, where do you place a HRM-above or below your boobs? The manual says to place it over your heart--I'm not wure where to wear it. Any help?
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options

Not being a woman, I'm guessing a bit, but my wife puts her's below. I don't have that model though. I have a polar.
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    Options
    Above would be quite uncomfortable. About at the bra strap line works.
  • FitMomof3
    Options
    I thought that it probably went below, but I was not sure. Thanks for your responses!
    :flowerforyou:
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    FitMom, just got my Reebok HRM too. Chest strap -- for me-- goes right up under the bottom strap of your bra. Mine fits pretty comfy.

Have you figured out how to use that blasted thing yet? Someone needs to write a REAL manual for that thing. I can use the timer and the calorie counter (while the timer is running) but that's about all. What do you think of it?
  • FitMomof3
    Options
    That is all I can do too. I thought it was just me. I'm glad someone else is having troubles too. Does it consistently pick up your HR? I used my for the first time this morning and it would pick up my HR intermittingly (sp?)--going from 50 to 120 in a just a few secs. Also it never got into my target heart rate zone--which I don't really believe because I was working my butt off. After a 70 minute workout and varying speeds and inclines for 4.0-8.0, I only burned 146 calories. I know that is not right.

Maybe we can figure it out together or someone else can help us out. I was so excited to get it and now I am having trouble using it. Did you get it off of Woot.com by any chance? Just wondering--that is where I got mine and I just got mine yesterday.
  • MFS27
    MFS27 Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    That is all I can do too. I thought it was just me. I'm glad someone else is having troubles too. Does it consistently pick up your HR? I used my for the first time this morning and it would pick up my HR intermittingly (sp?)--going from 50 to 120 in a just a few secs. Also it never got into my target heart rate zone--which I don't really believe because I was working my butt off. After a 70 minute workout and varying speeds and inclines for 4.0-8.0, I only burned 146 calories. I know that is not right.

Maybe we can figure it out together or someone else can help us out. I was so excited to get it and now I am having trouble using it. Did you get it off of Woot.com by any chance? Just wondering--that is where I got mine and I just got mine yesterday.

Like Banks, I also have a Polar, but one of the things Polar says to do before you put the chest strap on is to wet the electrodes (for better conduction). So I just run the strap under the tap quickly, shake and put it on. Have not had any issues with picking up HR, etc.

Maybe try wetting the strap???
  • cp005e
    cp005e Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options

Hmmm! I just got mine off Woot! as well - but it is a gift for my dad so I haven't cracked the packaging yet. I'd be interested to hear what other issues you guys run into. I would assume that you are supposed to wet the electrodes on the chest strap. I have heard that there are also some conductive creams/gels that you can use as well to help it get a good read.

I personally have a Polar, which had been working great until recently. Lately, I have been having some trouble getting it to consistently pick up my heart rate. Yesterday I got it VERY wet (ran each electrode under the faucet for about 10 seconds) and had somewhat better results.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Options
    The chest strap seemed to pick up my HR okay... I thought it looked a bit low, but I could be wrong.

I did make sure to get it wet, running it under the tap before sticking it on.

I made sure to place it up as high as I possibly could (up under the girls) to get a better read on my heart. I also made the chest strap as tight as I could so it'd stay up close and personal.

If I figure out any more settings, I'll let you know! :laugh:

And yes, I got mine from woot. Love that place!
  • FitMomof3
    Options
    I assume that the electrodes are only on the thicker plastic part that goes in the front, right?

ETA: I got it wet but not really wet. I'll try getting it wetter.
  • MFS27
    MFS27 Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    I assume that the electrodes are only on the thicker plastic part that goes in the front, right?

On the Polar, the electrodes are the fabric areas to the side of the thicker plastic part. I just get the whole thing wet and shake it. My HRM is water resistant to 50 meters (I use it when swimming), so no worries. Yours should be similar, I would think.
  • FitMomof3
    Options
    Mine is water resistant to 30m--Is is still safe to quick run it under water and then shake it off?
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Options
    Double check the manual for me..... I was thinking the watch is waterproof but the chest strap is not.

I still ran it under water quickly..... the backside of the thick plastic piece.
  • cp005e
    cp005e Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    The big plastic piece should be the transmitter (the part that takes the signal and sends it to the watch). The electrodes should be on the strap itself - like a slightly metallic part on the fabric on either side of the big plastic piece. That part should be moistened and stay in contact with your skin.

(BTW, I think I was maybe having trouble with my Polar because it was too loose and the contacts weren't solid. I tightened it up today and ran it under water and didn't get any crazy readings like I had been getting.)
  • FitMomof3
    Options
    Double check the manual for me..... I was thinking the watch is waterproof but the chest strap is not.

I still ran it under water quickly..... the backside of the thick plastic piece.

Yes the watch is what is water resistant to 30m. The chest strap is splash proof.

Lauren1981- I read in your other post that you were disappointed because you only burned 140-some calories in your workout. I had walked on the treadmill and only burned 146 calories. Come to find out--I was looking at the wrong number. I did a similiar workout this morning and looked at the correct number and burned 311 calories, so make sure you are looking at the right number.