Fiber Calories US vs CANADA

Options
I get the HG emails every day and this was an interesting tidbit from it. Basically it states how calories are calculated differently in the US and Canada based on the fiber content. I think us Canadian's are getting the raw end of the deal lol!

"While fiber is considered a carb (so it counts as a carb on labels), our bodies do not digest calories from fiber. So in recent years, many companies have not been adding these calories from fiber carbs to the total number of calories on the label. If something is listed as having 30g carbs, but 10 of those grams are from fiber, only 20g carbs count toward the total calories -- so instead of 120 calories from carbs, there would be only 80 (4 calories per gram). Yes, it's complicated -- especially since the rules are different in the U.S. than they are in other countries. In Canada, for example, companies are required to count the calories from fiber in the total calories -- so a serving of Fiber One original bran cereal is listed as having 100 calories (the same exact product has 60 calories per serving here in the States)."

Replies

• vanessadawn
    Options
    I get the HG emails every day and this was an interesting tidbit from it. Basically it states how calories are calculated differently in the US and Canada based on the fiber content. I think us Canadian's are getting the raw end of the deal lol!

"While fiber is considered a carb (so it counts as a carb on labels), our bodies do not digest calories from fiber. So in recent years, many companies have not been adding these calories from fiber carbs to the total number of calories on the label. If something is listed as having 30g carbs, but 10 of those grams are from fiber, only 20g carbs count toward the total calories -- so instead of 120 calories from carbs, there would be only 80 (4 calories per gram). Yes, it's complicated -- especially since the rules are different in the U.S. than they are in other countries. In Canada, for example, companies are required to count the calories from fiber in the total calories -- so a serving of Fiber One original bran cereal is listed as having 100 calories (the same exact product has 60 calories per serving here in the States)."
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    I don't think that the calories from fiber are deducted on labels here in the States. I know that some items will proclaim they have only so many "net carbs" because they deduct the fiber from the total carbs but for diabetics, carbs are carbs--fiber or not. The only difference is it takes the body longer to digest fiber, so those carbs don't impact blood glucose levels as badly.
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    I know the fibre one is more calories per serving here, so that makes sense.

I know the food labelling laws are different up here than in the states, sometimes it's very difficult to even get information on some foods, as they aren't legally required to be labeled.

I always put "Canada" after anything I enter into the food database.:flowerforyou:
  • VanessaC
    VanessaC Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I can believe that. I just entered a fibre bar and even the one with 10 confirmations does not match the label on mine here in Canada.
  • jamerz3294
    jamerz3294 Posts: 1,824 Member
    Options
    :grumble: Jeez, you try to educate yourself about the food you eat, and the source of info is "skewed" by the mnfctr to make it look like that product is better than it really is. I understand all too well about "marketing", but really, some info should be unedited, and accurate. Hrmpfh. :noway: