2 lbs in the fist week!!!

Options
I've been a member of myfitnesspal for a long time but just started using it this week. I lost only 2lbs in my first week!!! I expected to loose more like 5lbs. Is this normal?

Replies

• Jasmine951624
    Options
    You're supposed to aim for 2lb a week arent you? to avoid putting it back on quickly
  • lauraafatts
    Options
    It probably depends on your starting weight and how unhealthy etc you were before.
    I lost 4lbs in my first week of healthy eating.
    And I know loads of other people that lost more/less.

It does depend on your own body.
  • mlemonroe2
    mlemonroe2 Posts: 603
    Options
    Weight loss experts will tell you 1 pound a week is healthy. 2 pounds is the most this site will even alow for your goals. Any more and it is unhealthy weight loss and you could be burnning muscle instead of fat.
  • boudrfra
    boudrfra Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm aiming for 1 to 1.5 pounds per week but I expected more the first week...
  • mlemonroe2
    Options
    It probably depends on your starting weight and how unhealthy etc you were before.
    I lost 4lbs in my first week of healthy eating.
    And I know loads of other people that lost more/less.

It does depend on your own body.

Initial weight loss is mostly water weight, that is why it tends to be more in the first few weeks.
  • mlemonroe2
    Options
    I'm aiming for 1 to 1.5 pounds per week but I expected more the first week...

Yeah, the first week or so tends to be higher. I think 2 pounds is great though!!! Congratulations :drinker:
  • wewon
    wewon Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    2 lbs/week is healthy and normal.

More than that could be something as benign as water or as important as lean muscle.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Two pounds is a great start! I have 30 pounds to lose total and dropped 5 pounds in the first 2 weeks. After the initial water weight loss, it evened out to 1-1.5/pounds a week (until I plateaued...).

Keep up the good work!
  • boudrfra
    boudrfra Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the encouragements!!!