Hidden Animal Ingredients

Options
2»

Replies

• chris0912
    chris0912 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I remember reading about the beef fat thing in McDonald's fries a while ago. While it's true that they stopped cooking the fries in animal products, they have replicated the flavor by adding something to the fries themselves. However, I'm not sure if they're adding "real" beef for the flavor or an artificial beef flavoring. The author of Fast Food Nation talks about being in a lab in NJ where the scientists open a test tube and it instantly smells like burgers cooking on a grill.
  • darkhorse43
    darkhorse43 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I know these things are different in the States to the UK, McDonalds have used vegetable oil for their fries for years over here.

The ones I watch out for are E471, which is mono and diglycerides of fatty acids, and is not vegetarian, gelatin, and rennet. Also cochineal (from beetles). It is much easier in the UK, I find, than any other country I have been to, as in supermarkets almost all products are marked if they are 100% vegetarian.

In America they stopped cooking in animal fat but they added beef as a flavoring so it would taste the same after changing to vegetable oil.
  • KZOsMommy
    KZOsMommy Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    McDs fries also have milk product in them. My daughter has a milk allergy and on their website it says contains milk. They said they soak them in milk before frying them.
  • _eislek_
    _eislek_ Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    wine & beer :( isinglass or gelatin can be used in the fining process.

it's a wee bit misleading to say sugar isn't vegan - as far as i know, using bone char is quite old fashioned and many brands are fine for vegans. obviously it gets difficult to confirm when unspecificed "sugar" is used as an ingredient in processed food though.

IslasLorax - i'd hazard a guess that petroleum might not be vegan on the technicality that long, long ago, it was plankton and stuff. i don't actually know for sure though!

yeah about the sugar, the only brand that I know of that still uses bone char is Domino sugar.