Question: Strength Training for the Legs

Options
So when I was younger my aunt use to sing to me-Brickhouse-because I got booty and legs. While I like my bum, I would like to make my legs smaller. I don't want thin legs, just smaller ones. My whole body has gotten smaller except for my legs. (I have been tracking my measurements) They have gotten more musculer. I tend to bulk up quite easily. I don't want to give up strength training my lower body, because I like being shapely.

Right now I am doing squats and deadlifts with free weights (8lbs) 2x week. I am using three weight machines 2x week: quads (25lbs), hamstrings (45lbs) and the one where you sit down and push with your legs (50lbs). I have been increasing the weight to keep being challenged. Cardio: ellipitical (nearly every day) and stairmaster (no more than 3x week).

What are some lower body strength training excercises that I should avoid and/or should incorporate to meet my goals? Should I just use lighter weights?

Any help is much appreciate!:flowerforyou:

Replies

• heartshapdworld
    heartshapdworld Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    So when I was younger my aunt use to sing to me-Brickhouse-because I got booty and legs. While I like my bum, I would like to make my legs smaller. I don't want thin legs, just smaller ones. My whole body has gotten smaller except for my legs. (I have been tracking my measurements) They have gotten more musculer. I tend to bulk up quite easily. I don't want to give up strength training my lower body, because I like being shapely.

Right now I am doing squats and deadlifts with free weights (8lbs) 2x week. I am using three weight machines 2x week: quads (25lbs), hamstrings (45lbs) and the one where you sit down and push with your legs (50lbs). I have been increasing the weight to keep being challenged. Cardio: ellipitical (nearly every day) and stairmaster (no more than 3x week).

What are some lower body strength training excercises that I should avoid and/or should incorporate to meet my goals? Should I just use lighter weights?

Any help is much appreciate!:flowerforyou:
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    I've gotten good results at thinning up by incorporating abductor/adductor machines into my weight training.

Also, for me with my legs, I keep the weight pretty low and the reps high.

Also, Yoga has really leaned me up in the legs.:flowerforyou:
  • robynlee
    robynlee Posts: 13
    Options
    use lighter weights!!!
    you said you were increasing it for the challenge.. but thats why you are bulking up!
  • heartshapdworld
    Options
    I've gotten good results at thinning up by incorporating abductor/adductor machines into my weight training.

I forgot to add in my orginal post that I do abductor/adductor machines as well, and Yoga 2x week too. For the weights, I do 3 sets of 15 reps. The problem is when I decrease the weight, it seems as if the "arm" swings out of control whether I am lifting it (as in quads) or pushing it down (as in hamstrings), you know? And I get the feeling that that doesn't help at all.

Thanks for the suggestions-both of you:smile:
  • p90x_Dude
    p90x_Dude Posts: 332
    Options
    Heavier weights + lower reps (8-10) = bulk (ideal for power lifters and those desiring to put on mass)
    Lighter weights + higher reps (12-15) = sculp lean muscle mass

Drop the weight and increase the reps or do weightless activities like lunges.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem...my quads overpower my upper body. They're the first place I gain fat, and the last place I lose it.

There's a TON of controversy surrounding rep ranges, especially in women. More often than not, you'll hear that tons of reps with really light weight will 'tone'. However, weight that feels easy is just that--too easy. Extremely light weight (like when the leg of the machine is swinging out of control) lacks 'overload', one of the three aspects of strength training necessary to promote adaptation. And 'tone' relates to the quality of muscle contraction, and isn't related to the appearance of the muscle under the skin. Basically, it's a popular, pretty-sounding rumor. The truth is:

You won't get results from easy weights. You have to work HARD to see results.

Unfortunately, if you're conditioned at all, lifting your bodyweight with your legs will not promote muscular change. If you can do it enough times (i.e., when running) you'll see cardiovascular improvement and fat loss when combined with a calorie deficit. But there is NO TYPE OF LIFTING THAT WILL MAKE YOUR LEGS SHRINK. It's just the unfortunate fact of resistance training. When you apply progression (adding difficulty), overload (taxing your muscles), and specificity (training for a certain adaptation) you'll see some growth, even if it's just a teensy eensy weensy bit.

Rep ranges, in general, are as follows:

1-5 Power
    6-8 Strength
    8-15 Hypertrophy (growth)
    15-20 Ridiculous hypertrophy (when applying overload...Google '20-rep squats', there's nothing related to 'toning' :wink: )
    Up past 20...at that point the weight is probably too light

This probably isn't what you'll see in most Women's mags, but they can kiss my behind, because you will see this in sports med and exercise science books. I will say that individuals have different types, sizes, and densities of muscle fibers, so these numbers certainly aren't exact. But women are generally mislead to either lift weights that are too light or do tons of reps, which generally leads to further growth. Most Oly powerlifters are far from bulky, and some are under 200 lbs. Strength and size do not go hand in hand (I promise, I powerlift, and I can get lean when I want to :smile: ) Good luck!
  • cp005e
    cp005e Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    Welcome back, SBS!! And thanks for that very informative post. I have always wondered the same thing as the original poster - I tend to have a muscular build, but wish that my calves and thighs were a little more compact. Alas, it sounds like it is not to be!
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    Welcome back, SBS!! And thanks for that very informative post. I have always wondered the same thing as the original poster - I tend to have a muscular build, but wish that my calves and thighs were a little more compact. Alas, it sounds like it is not to be!

Thanks! I'm glad to be home and in the gym! :bigsmile:
    Really, the best way to become more symmetrical is to build the upper body. And certain areas will continue to look bulkier until we lose a loooooot of fat, because really it's the fat that creates the appearance of bulk. Muscle is lean and dense.
  • jamdblake4
    jamdblake4 Posts: 179
    Options
    everyone has said some good things, for the women I train that want what you want I have them stop doing squats and no more deadlifts both mass building. I would add some walking lungs.
  • heartshapdworld
    Options
    I have the same problem...my quads overpower my upper body. They're the first place I gain fat, and the last place I lose it.

Girl....I feel you. :laugh: I had to check for a minute and make sure that my twin sister didn't join this site-I really do have an indentical twin sister. Well, thanks for all the infomation.

I do appreciate the obvious work you have put into your post. I could feel that the light weight was not causing "overload," because it was just too easy. I kept working out though, and increasing the weight as needed, because I figured toned (big) legs are much nicer than flabby (big) legs. I had a feeling someone would post that there is no way to shrink your legs. I guess I need to be happy with myself the way God made me. :grumble:
  • heartshapdworld
    Options
    Drop the weight and increase the reps or do weightless activities like lunges.

Thanks for the advice. :happy: Last night I was dreaming about this, and deceided when I woke up that I would do weightless activties as you call them. I assume they must work, otherwise you wouldn't see them in magazines like Shape, but I wanted to check what you all had to say first.

My thought process is this: I will be using my body weight, so there will be some degree of difficultly. If only because these exercises are different than the machines that I have been using at the gym the muscles will be worked in the different way. Since I can't add weight, unless I choose to with dumbells, then (hopefully) my legs won't increase in size but increase in strength and tone only.
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    First, less weight more reps, even try lunges and squats without any weight.

Second, yoga and pilates. Both help elongate muscles while toning, making you appear leaner.
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    Options

This probably isn't what you'll see in most Women's mags, but they can kiss my behind,

:laugh:
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options

This probably isn't what you'll see in most Women's mags, but they can kiss my behind,

:laugh:

Hey, I've seen some that say women shouldn't lift because of menstruation, because we'll look like men, because it's not good for our privates. Believe me, there are some CRAZIES out there.

Heartshapd, don't worry, your legs will shrink with fat loss. I have tried everything from powerlifting to sets of 30, and nothing has made me smaller but a lot of cardio and a healthy caloric deficit (a.k.a, fat loss). But underneath whatever body fat you may have, you have strong, beautiful muscles, and the bigger the are, the more prevalent and defined they'll be! I used to hate my legs, but once they raised up a 225 lb deadlift, I appreciated their power and function instead of criticizing their size. :flowerforyou:
  • carvan
    carvan Posts: 377 Member
    Options

I forgot to add in my orginal post that I do abductor/adductor machines as well, and Yoga 2x week too. For the weights, I do 3 sets of 15 reps. The problem is when I decrease the weight, it seems as if the "arm" swings out of control whether I am lifting it (as in quads) or pushing it down (as in hamstrings), you know? And I get the feeling that that doesn't help at all.

Thanks for the suggestions-both of you:smile:

Try slowing down your movements. For instance, when doing the hamstring machine, (lying down, curling legs toward bum) go up on a count of 2, and bring it down on a count of 4. Do that for 15 reps, you feel the burn. And yes, light weight, more reps
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    Options

Hey, I've seen some that say women shouldn't lift because of menstruation, because we'll look like men, because it's not good for our privates. Believe me, there are some CRAZIES out there.

When I read that women should do inversions (in yoga) while menstruating, I thought they were crazy as well. Like what, the blood is going to flow back in?
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options

When I read that women should do inversions (in yoga) while menstruating, I thought they were crazy as well. Like what, the blood is going to flow back in?

BWAHAHAHAHAH:laugh:

..and...ewwwwwwww heheh:tongue:

One person I saw on a forum said that she read squats could caused the vaginal muscles to collapse...I mean...come ON. Babies come out of there, it's not that flimsy LOL
  • heartshapdworld
    Options
    One person I saw on a forum said that she read squats could caused the vaginal muscles to collapse...I mean...come ON. Babies come out of there, it's not that flimsy LOL

That's funny! What a great way to start the morning:laugh:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    RUN! have you ever seen a runner with big legs!?

good luck!
  • heartshapdworld
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestion-I am getting over Braecitius, so running is a out for now. Doctor's orders.