Is it normal to gain weight when you first start working out

Options

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    drink a crap ton of water and that will help release any water retention...
  • mercyphoenix
    Options
    very very normal if you are new to working out. See below from beachbody.com

The temporary weight gain explained:
    When someone starts a new exercise program, they often experience muscle soreness. The more intense and "unfamiliar" the program, the more intense the muscle soreness. This soreness is most prevalent 24 to 48 hours after each workout. In the first few weeks of a new program, soreness is the body trying to "protect and defend" the effected or targeted tissue. Exercise physiologists refer to this as delayed-onset muscle soreness, or DOMS.

This type of soreness is thought to be caused by tissue breakdown or microscopic tears in muscle tissue. When this happens the body protects the tissue. The muscle becomes inflamed and slightly swollen with fluid retention. This temporary retention of fluid can result in a 3- to 4-pound weight gain within a few weeks of a new program. Keep in mind that muscle soreness is not necessarily a reflection of how hard you worked. In fact, some people feel no signs of muscle soreness, yet will experience the muscle protection mechanisms of water retention and slight swelling.

Thanks for the info!! :D
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    When I started T25 my weight went up but everyone was noticing I was getting smaller. Dont let it put you off and there are many other ways of measuring success.
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    Muscles are heavier than fat...

lolololol

muscle is more dense than fat. there's a difference.
  • nathanthe007
    Options
    definitely common, I currently started working out again about two weeks ago, i have managed to put on 12 pounds, although devastating for my goal and quite the increase in a small amount of time, it is mostly due to water weight, change in diet, and muscle memory. This being the largest ive gained in two weeks, but what has happened in the past is the same and after about 3 weeks or 4 and the metabolism really kicks in, the lbs melt away at a decent rate.
  • jodycoady
    jodycoady Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    Me too! I just guess it was because all my fat is turning to muscle. (I remember reading it many years ago - this was before the Internet, lol) But it's still tough to keep at it when you don't see results right away. Add me if you'd like.

I'm lazy and only work out an hour 3 to 4 times a week....keep up the good work though....I'd love to have to drive to w/o 6 times a week!
  • Topgun77822
    Topgun77822 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Same thing happened to me! In August of this year I decided to get back into shape. I started at 207 pounds. I got my nutrition in check and decided on a 400 Kcal per day deficit. I added 3 day a week 10 minute High Intensity Cardio along with 3 day a week progressive weight training. Note: I usually eat back my exercise calories. For 2 weeks my weight did nothing but go up...up...up. In fact I stopped weighing myself when I hit 211 pounds. It took about 2 weeks for the process to reverse itself.

My interest is a body composition change to be more muscular with less bodyfat. My fat levels have dropped very consistently now.....but initially that was not the case. My strength levels are still increasing.

In summary maintain a slight caloric deficit....eat nutritiously...train hard....rest hard....and nature will make you the best version of you possible....give it time and keep your head on straight.

Enjoy the journey!
  • nathanthe007
    Options
    yeah man how she goes, i quit weighing as well for now, im currently 258, was 246, i am leanin up but ill weigh myself next week. I did a crossfit course yesterday for power, high intensity which was quite the experience other than standard weight training, i have been implementing about 20 to 30 min of running 4-5km runs, before my strength training, cause im going for immediate weight loss, already have the size lol. im trying for 5-6 days a week.

and jodi, it is hard to go 6-7 times a week, 3-4 is way better than nothing, keep it up. lifes a busy b#$% haha do what you can
  • trowb20a
    Options
    This had me discouraged numerous times during my weight-loss "journey" (which I usually gave up on after a few days). I wouldn't bother eating right because I'd see the numbers on the scale climb after high-intensity cardio, for example. Then I'd just give up.

However I've been doing the first month of Insanity (about 1/2 way through) and I see the numbers on the scale increase but my measurements are decreasing, and I feel better in my clothes! I think it's true your muscles store water/fluids to protect themselves after rigorous exercise, and the scale does lie. However, I recommend focusing on how you feel, what you see in the mirror, and your measurements. We all know muscle is denser than fat, and becoming leaner may cause the scale to increase for a bit. Just keep chugging through! I'm trying not to be discouraged myself, because if I step on the scale during different parts of the day during a given week, the # fluctuates ~5lbs! so if your'e easily discouraged I'd say stay away from the scale until you're self-assured enough and are sticking with your workout and food regimens well enough to not let something like the scale deter you. :)
  • jodycoady
    jodycoady Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    [/quote]
    "and jodi, it is hard to go 6-7 times a week, 3-4 is way better than nothing, keep it up. lifes a busy b#$% haha do what you can"

thanks...I also do cardio before my weights....20 mins cardio, 30 mins weights, then another 10 mins of cardio to finish off.
  • danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    My weight goes up a lb or 2 for a day or 2 after every lifting session, consistently. Past a couple weeks or a month- all the time. It's all water retention to help repair the muscles, and nothing to worry about.
  • lylasmom814
    Options
    I'm so glad I came across this post. I was literally starting to have a panic attack when I got on the scale this morning to see a 4lb weight gain. I had weight loss surgery 3 years ago and lost 230lbs. Now I have gained 30lbs back. I am so obsessed with the thought of becoming huge again, I see myself in the mirror like my old self again. So after working out the last 3 weeks, 5 days a week and eating much better I almost died once I stepped on the scale. I can see the positive changes in my body. I have chose to try and "bulk" up so my saggy skin looks better on my arms and legs. So in hoping the gain is in those results I'm seeing in my arms and legs having larger muscles.
    Thanks again for this post and I think I will throw my scale away for the next month.
  • chapklc
    chapklc Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    i'm really glad this was posted. I've been working out the last two weeks, steadily increasing in strength and cardio as well as staying at or slightly under my calorie goals...and just weighed myself, and i've gained four pounds. Now I still have much muscle soreness and of course I can see some swelling, where I fell much to my shame, on my bike (riding with clipped in shoes on the road for the first time.) At least I know I'm being honest with my calories, and i'm not too worried, but I did want to see some changes. So I will just keep trucking along...
  • SuePin02
    SuePin02 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    So happy for this info, I really did need it today :smile:
  • workingonself
    Options
    Aww! Great info , I was so sad before reading the posts. Thanks foreverjade
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Me too! I just guess it was because all my fat is turning to muscle. (I remember reading it many years ago - this was before the Internet, lol) But it's still tough to keep at it when you don't see results right away. Add me if you'd like.

I'm lazy and only work out an hour 3 to 4 times a week....keep up the good work though....I'd love to have to drive to w/o 6 times a week!

No, it's because all of your muscles are retaining water for muscle repair......

or, unless that's supposed to say guessed then you already knew that.
  • otillie03103
    otillie03103 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    What a relief. I started Rockin' Body 3 days ago and have gained 2 bs already. I stayed under my calorie goal and drank a ton of water yesterday (but didn't make quite as many trips to the bathroom as I usually do when I drink so much, but I was so thirsty). Must be water weight due to new regime. I am not going to quit though. Helpful information on this post. Thanks everyone!
  • kayveebee7
    kayveebee7 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Needed this ta-day!!! (Dramatic for today :) )
  • tifflatta
    tifflatta Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm 2.5 weeks into meticulously watching my calorie intake and doing cardio workout 3-5/per week. The first week I lost 6lbs but after I've slowly gained. I understand from reading these posts that it's probably "water weight" from workouts. However, I thought after two weeks I would see improvement. I'm drinking a TON of water everyday. Any suggestions?
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    yes it's water weight. Your muscles are retaining water. Or so I've heard.