Recommend a HRM

Options
I need to get a decent HRM to track calories burnt. I am a cheapo so something under $100 would be ideal. Any recommendations for a HRM? Preferably one I can buy at Walmart or Sports Authority???

Replies

• JustMichelleB
    JustMichelleB Posts: 290
    Options
    Polar FT4, ~$70, easy to use, seems pretty reliable/accurate and durable. Chest strap is pretty comfy and machine washable.
  • idream2bgwen
    idream2bgwen Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Polar FT4, ~$70, easy to use, seems pretty reliable/accurate and durable. Chest strap is pretty comfy and machine washable.

Question for you...Is the monitor water proof? And the chest strap? I love to swim and would love to find one that is! Thanks. I seem to see lots of recommendations for this particular model. It is the one I am looking into! :smile:
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT7, I have worn it in the pool, it is water proof, and its under $100, I think my wife got mine on sale for around $80
  • amandalc980
    amandalc980 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Do you need the chest strap?

This is the one, right?

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Polar-FT7F-Heart-Rate-Monitor-Black-Silver/12534674
  • Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options

Question for you...Is the monitor water proof? And the chest strap? I love to swim and would love to find one that is! Thanks. I seem to see lots of recommendations for this particular model. It is the one I am looking into! :smile:

Water resistance 30m (Suitable for bathing and swimming

^^^^ that is off their website. I also have the Polar FT4 and absolutely love it!
  • jrbb0309
    jrbb0309 Posts: 55
    Options
    Do you need the chest strap?

This is the one, right?

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Polar-FT7F-Heart-Rate-Monitor-Black-Silver/12534674

Yes you need the chest strap. It's what accounts for the accuracy of a HRM like this. And make sure you pay attention to the manual which says if you're using it for swimming, DO NOT push the buttons on the watch under water. It affects the water-resistance.
  • idream2bgwen
    idream2bgwen Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Water resistance 30m (Suitable for bathing and swimming

^^^^ that is off their website. I also have the Polar FT4 and absolutely love it!
    [/quote]

Perfect! Thank you!!! :happy:
  • amandalc980
    amandalc980 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Just bought the FT4 from Sears. Should be able to pick it up when I get off work! Very excited. Knew I could rely on MFP for good advice. Thank you.
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Just bought the FT4 from Sears. Should be able to pick it up when I get off work! Very excited. Knew I could rely on MFP for good advice. Thank you.

:glasses:
  • chanstriste13
    chanstriste13 Posts: 3,277 Member
    Options

good deal! i've had my ft4 since christmas and i really dig it. i also dig your underwater pic! so cool!