OT - !@$(%@ drivers -- RANT

Options
I am not your enemy.
Really.
I have nothing against you until you put my life in danger. My children need a mom. My husband needs me too. And I really like living.

Think about it,
I'm not even in your lane, but in the bike lane. It is not good sportsmanship to try to run me off the road. Or to zip and turn ahead of me, nearly (and sometimes) causing me to hit you, fall down, etc. Or to cut me off just because you are bigger (and encased in a whole lot more metal than me in my little helmet.)

Think of all the benefits you have because I gave up my automobile to bike commute. Yes, I gave it away. We have one car in this family and I don't drive it regularly. I bike.

You have one less person to fight with a parking spot over. I'd win. I'm in before 7 a.m. And you aren't.
Gas is less, I'm not buying any so I'm not driving up the cost of it. I'm saving you money.
There is less pollution in the air you breath because I don't drive. I'm good for your health.

All I ask is that you drive safe around me. I have enough obstacles -- I even think there was a ham hock in the bike lane today. There is always glass from the bottles thrown from cars. I keep my eye out for you, but you are bigger and faster than me. When you play chicken I turn out of the way. See line 3 about my children.

If I have the right of way please don't bully your way in front of me.....The clearly marked BLUE intersection with No Cars In Bike Lane does mean you. Really. Yes, it really does even if it means you have to wait 30 seconds for the light to change.

That friend of mine you hit last semester. He's ok. Thanks for stopping to check. (Sarcasm, the driver left him on the side of the road.)

Replies

• jlwhelan1
    jlwhelan1 Posts: 664
    Options
    I am not your enemy.
    Really.
    I have nothing against you until you put my life in danger. My children need a mom. My husband needs me too. And I really like living.

Think about it,
    I'm not even in your lane, but in the bike lane. It is not good sportsmanship to try to run me off the road. Or to zip and turn ahead of me, nearly (and sometimes) causing me to hit you, fall down, etc. Or to cut me off just because you are bigger (and encased in a whole lot more metal than me in my little helmet.)

Think of all the benefits you have because I gave up my automobile to bike commute. Yes, I gave it away. We have one car in this family and I don't drive it regularly. I bike.

You have one less person to fight with a parking spot over. I'd win. I'm in before 7 a.m. And you aren't.
    Gas is less, I'm not buying any so I'm not driving up the cost of it. I'm saving you money.
    There is less pollution in the air you breath because I don't drive. I'm good for your health.

All I ask is that you drive safe around me. I have enough obstacles -- I even think there was a ham hock in the bike lane today. There is always glass from the bottles thrown from cars. I keep my eye out for you, but you are bigger and faster than me. When you play chicken I turn out of the way. See line 3 about my children.

If I have the right of way please don't bully your way in front of me.....The clearly marked BLUE intersection with No Cars In Bike Lane does mean you. Really. Yes, it really does even if it means you have to wait 30 seconds for the light to change.

That friend of mine you hit last semester. He's ok. Thanks for stopping to check. (Sarcasm, the driver left him on the side of the road.)
  • ali106
    ali106 Posts: 3,754 Member
    Options
    oh honey I soooo agree!!!!

I'm so sorry about your friend! omg...I always let the bikes go....I mean come on common sense!!! bikes and pedestrian vs a car...hmmmm?

so hugs and be safe and I hope all those drivers that don't feel the same have a change of heart honey!

Ali :flowerforyou:
  • jlwhelan1
    Options
    Thanks Ali

This is a university town and all the students are returning...
    Some perhaps are a little lacking in common courtesy, or driving safely...some are on cellphones and don't want to be bothered coming to a stop. Most people are WONDERFUL:heart: . But it only takes one.:sad:
  • searls717
    Options
    I know exactly what you are talking about! You must live in Tempe. I live in Chander and although we don't have as many bikers as some of the other towns, I am always super cautious when I am driving. Nothing irritates me more than seeing someone turn and not even look to see if someone is even in the crosswalk! :explode: :explode: :explode:

Wishing you the best of luck!
  • Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    I've discovered something over the last couple weeks - I LOVE riding a bike., I could ride for miles...

...but I can't... Because of this post.

ndianapolis has the worst, most inconsiderate, careless, homicidal bullies behind the wheel I've ever been around, and I refuse to put myself at that kind of risk. I live right in the city, so it's hard enough to open up and really work, because there arent enough streets LONG enough to truly glean anything from the activity. Add the broken glass and trash, then the drivers.

I'm truly sorry for you. Try to stay safe.
  • jlwhelan1
    Options
    I know exactly what you are talking about! You must live in Tempe. I live in Chander and although we don't have as many bikers as some of the other towns, I am always super cautious when I am driving. Nothing irritates me more than seeing someone turn and not even look to see if someone is even in the crosswalk! :explode: :explode: :explode:

Thank you. You are close, Tucson not Tempe.
  • msce2
    msce2 Posts: 35
    Options
    I wish they would make roads more biker friendly. It's not only dangerous for the bikers but for the cars that have to pass in the oncoming lane of traffic.
  • jlwhelan1
    Options
    I've discovered something over the last couple weeks - I LOVE riding a bike., I could ride for miles...

ndianapolis has the worst, most inconsiderate, careless, homicidal bullies behind the wheel I've ever been around, and I refuse to put myself at that kind of risk. I live right in the city, so it's hard enough to open up and really work, because there arent enough streets LONG enough to truly glean anything from the activity. Add the broken glass and trash, then the drivers.

Thanks. Are there any bike paths (removed from the street) that you could ride for recreation?
    Sigh. I've bike commuted in Portland OR, Los Angeles, CA (yup) and here. This place scares me the most. Going early morning is OK. Late night is OK (at least I can see lights coming and there is less traffic) But normal hours between 4 - 7 p.m. are so scary.
  • jlwhelan1
    Options
    I wish they would make roads more biker friendly. It's not only dangerous for the bikers but for the cars that have to pass in the oncoming lane of traffic.

Agreed. And a really snappy ad campaign about road safety would be nice...
  • MargieM
    MargieM Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    I agree with everything that has been said above. I am struggling with letting my daughter ride her bike to school for this very reason. BUT.... on the flip side, not only do we need a safety campaign for people who drive cars, but we need a bicycle education program for kids and young people. I have just about hit kids on bikes that blow through stop signs without stopping, not even looking to see if there are any cars around them. There are kids that ride facing traffic instead of going with traffic. (There are some adults that do this too) My job as a safe driver is to be aware of everything around me, including pedestrians and bikers. But they also need to be aware of me and follow the rules of the road too.... It's all about respecting everyone out on the road, 2-legged, 2-wheeled, or 4-wheeled. My job as a parent is to teach this to my children too.
  • jlwhelan1
    Options
    I agree with everything that has been said above. I am struggling with letting my daughter ride her bike to school for this very reason. BUT.... on the flip side, not only do we need a safety campaign for people who drive cars, but we need a bicycle education program for kids and young people. I have just about hit kids on bikes that blow through stop signs without stopping, not even looking to see if there are any cars around them. There are kids that ride facing traffic instead of going with traffic. (There are some adults that do this too) My job as a safe driver is to be aware of everything around me, including pedestrians and bikers. But they also need to be aware of me and follow the rules of the road too.... It's all about respecting everyone out on the road, 2-legged, 2-wheeled, or 4-wheeled. My job as a parent is to teach this to my children too.

MargieM, you are so very right. There are certainly some very ignorant adult and undereducated children when it comes to the rules of the road.

I honestly can't imagine letting my dd ride alone. The thought is very frightening to me, although I did when I was one year older than her... There are three very busy intersections and the bike route is on a busy road....ugh, no, I couldn't stomach her riding her bike on her own. (And we are considered a bike friendly town.) At one of these streets, a six year old boy was killed three years ago crossing for school.

You've inspired me to talk to our PTA about a bike safety course for the school. I'll also see if the university will do the same. :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • MargieM
    MargieM Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    I know, I was riding to school at her age too, on the very same roads she would take. Luckily, we are a small town without a lot of traffic, but you just never know. It's a lot scarier out there than when we were kids!

Good luck with the PTA and University! It's a great idea! I may have to talk to some of our PTO board members too...
  • searls717
    Options
    There are kids that ride facing traffic instead of going with traffic. (There are some adults that do this too)

When I was growing up, we were taught to ride against traffic. That way we were able to see what the drivers were doing coming our direction. So we could get out of the way if we needed to.
  • searls717
    Options

Thank you. You are close, Tucson not Tempe.

Tucson is just as bad. I have been down there visiting friends and you are right, when school is in, you see a lot of people just acting just plain stupid. I thought school was supposed to make you smarter, not dumber.
  • Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options

Thanks. Are there any bike paths (removed from the street) that you could ride for recreation?
    Sigh. I've bike commuted in Portland OR, Los Angeles, CA (yup) and here. This place scares me the most. Going early morning is OK. Late night is OK (at least I can see lights coming and there is less traffic) But normal hours between 4 - 7 p.m. are so scary.

Theres the Monon trail, but I have to ride straight through the city to get to it (2 miles), and its unsafe for about 3 miles.