I am CONFUSED and Angry

One month ago I weighed 130 pounds. My doc told me to stop running because I was not getting my period. Now I weigh 140 pounds. I just started working out again. I know the weight will come off but..... along the way somewhere I think I have developed some problems.... I believe I have a very unhealthy relationship with food. Ex: Today I ate 6 poptarts in 1 sitting, 2 hours later I ate 4 more. I was not hungry at all. But, once I started eating I just could not stop. This was not the 1st time either. I really dont know what to do or how to fix my newly developed eating habits. HELP

Replies

• borjanap
    borjanap Posts: 232 Member
    One month ago I weighed 130 pounds. My doc told me to stop running because I was not getting my period. Now I weigh 140 pounds. I just started working out again. I know the weight will come off but..... along the way somewhere I think I have developed some problems.... I believe I have a very unhealthy relationship with food. Ex: Today I ate 6 poptarts in 1 sitting, 2 hours later I ate 4 more. I was not hungry at all. But, once I started eating I just could not stop. This was not the 1st time either. I really dont know what to do or how to fix my newly developed eating habits. HELP
  • iluvsparkles
    iluvsparkles Posts: 1,730 Member
    oh honey, you are not alone here!
    poptarts are the enemy in my book!

listen, first of all, you are not alone,
    but second of all, you are right, your brain is telling you the truth. That is an unhealthy relationship with food to a degree..but you can totally get on top of it.

my problem is that I will 'put eating off'' until its too late, then i binge or eat way too much at once.

you have come to the right place to get help, so ask questions, and please, send me a private message if you ever need to talk about it and everything... just stick with us, and you will get back on track, the healthy way!
  • iftcheiaf
    iftcheiaf Posts: 960 Member
    borjanap -
    You and I have a very similar problem. I do the exact same thing. Don't beat yourself up though. This is fixable. First of all, when you get those urges, sit and write to us. Someone is always one at some point.

For me, cakes, cookies, pop-tarts, and such are my weakness that I will eat and eat and eat (say good-bye to that box of 12 donuts). So I have decided, now only three days, to cut out all wheat. No starches. Just wheat. I keep reminding myself that I am not eating wheat, so I can't have the cakes, cookies, and donuts.

Also, try to keep fresh fruits and vegetables, sweet things like that, sugar free pudding, etc in your house and keep the other stuff out. Hard for me because I have kids, but I put them in a box out of my sight and practically out of my reach so I don't notice them when I open up our cabinets and refrigerator for other stuff.

Today was a bad day. But tomorrow is new. You're aware of the problem and trying to change. That indicates you're a strong person and YOU CAN DO THIS!!!!

Keep in touch with us here and let us help you! (HUGS)
  • kirthe
    kirthe Posts: 1
    Think about whether you are dealing with anorexia/bulemia or some obsession. Do not get fixated on a number, so a 10lb weight difference...is that important to you? If food becomes an obsession, either eating or feeling guilty because you're eating, get psychological help as well. None of us is perfect, so often personal issues manifest themselves in the way we handle food.

Our appearance can affect us emotionally, but sometimes it's just in our own head, we ovecompensate for how we think we look. If your dieting is because of something other than NEEDING to lose weight, there are other issues going on. Please think about those, for your total well-being.
  • TheGoblinRoad
    TheGoblinRoad Posts: 835 Member
    I find that we are what we think we are, or we are in the process of becoming that.

Therefore it helps me somewhat to start thinking of myself as someone who is developing a better relationship with food, so that I can become that person.

Got to take power back into our hands.

I'd enjoy the poptart, though I'd try to make myself eat it over the course of half an hour, perhaps while walking.

I just started a few weeks ago at improving thing, so we will see how it goes.
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    I would say that the stress you used to deal with through your exercise is now being dealt with with pop-tarts? I'm not sure, but I know that when I don't exercise, I lose all ability to cope with stress, and find it really hard not to turn to food.

I'm a hard-core emotional eater, and one thing that helped me is to journal. I know it sounds cheesy, but sometimes that eating comes from not expressing something (sometimes an emotion I don't even recognize I'm having). Get yourself a notebook, and just write a random page or two of whatever pops into your head. You might discover the root of those pop-tarts.

Are you completely not allowed to exercise? Maybe you could try yoga or strength training to supplement your cardio.

Oh, and sparkles is absolutely right. . .you're not alone.
  • iluvsparkles
    iluvsparkles Posts: 1,730 Member
    Think about whether you are dealing with anorexia/bulemia or some obsession. Do not get fixated on a number, so a 10lb weight difference...is that important to you? If food becomes an obsession, either eating or feeling guilty because you're eating, get psychological help as well. None of us is perfect, so often personal issues manifest themselves in the way we handle food.

Our appearance can affect us emotionally, but sometimes it's just in our own head, we ovecompensate for how we think we look. If your dieting is because of something other than NEEDING to lose weight, there are other issues going on. Please think about those, for your total well-being.

Well said. I really couldn't have said it better myself.

see what i mean, we all do this..from time to time...when it becomes daily, you know you are in the beginning of the problem, and that is when it is time to take action, and remember, BALANCE.
    a poptart is balanced. 10 is not... one or two,,,even three cookies is good...but portions! i am so guilty of this, so like ift said, sit down and write and put the cookies down!
  • mlillie
    mlillie Posts: 302
    yes you are not alone. Emotional eating is the hardest thing I deal with- I exercise harder to compensate and then I become stricter on my eating.

The healthiest eating I ever had was when I was in India and I think it was because I was meditating and just more centered and had less stress.

After not having the nerve to talk to my boss today about a raise I came home and ate a TON of granola and cereal.....bowl after bowl. And then my stomach hurt. And before reading your post I decided for myself that I really want to break the cycle and really pay more attention to why I am eating- AM I stressed about something?? Am I really hungry because I am being unreasonable about my calories? Am I "eating" words I wish I was saying??

I am going to try and start keeping a journal of it and see if it helps me....but feel free to post here about it because you really are not alone.

Thanks for being brave enough to post this...you really helped me think about it tonight as well.