Coffee = Appetite supressant?

Frappuzzino
Frappuzzino Posts: 342 Member
edited September 26 in Health and Weight Loss
I decided to have a cup of coffee late this morning, and I have not been hungry at all for lunch. I noticed this when I drank coffee before as well. Is coffee a natural appetite suppressant or is it just me? LOL

Replies

• Jenscan
    Jenscan Posts: 694 Member
    That happens to me when I drink coffee also, but not cola or tea. Green tea does suppress my appetite also.

Hmm.. Maybe I should start doing that more! :)
  • JaredTheGeek
    JaredTheGeek Posts: 26 Member
    The sugars in the soda will make you eat more. If you have coffee with little to no sugar or are using an artificial it will suppress hunger.
  • wmjrigo
    wmjrigo Posts: 69 Member
    Seems like it. I'll normal drink half a cup around 3 when I start getting hungry and that will tide me over til dinner.
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,526 Member
    I'm not sure it it is official, but it works for me!

I love coffee, and have several cups during the day, as well as a cup of decaff after dinner. It definitely helps me to eat less. Of course, if you add a lot of sugar that could be a problem. . . .
  • Just1forMe
    Just1forMe Posts: 624 Member
    I decided to have a cup of coffee late this morning, and I have not been hungry at all for lunch. I noticed this when I drank coffee before as well. Is coffee a natural appetite suppressant or is it just me? LOL

This is why I have such a hard time eating breakfast :blushing:

My 3 cups of coffee come first! Caffeine is a natural appetite suppressant to some degree, but for me, I think it just fills me up so I don't want to eat. I am working on getting better at the eating-my-breakfast thing ...
  • NHGirl23
    NHGirl23 Posts: 2,657 Member
    Works for me every time!
  • Like any habbit - doing it enough, you will end up continuing it, and thus not other things; fluids, food...
    I quit coffee as i drank it way!!! to much, but i was addicted and commited to finding something that would
    give me the fix that coffee did. cuz i had to have that cup of joe in the AM come hell o r high water!!
    I started to drink green tea, what a plus with all its other benifets; great skin,
    good for the motabilsm, long term benifets to help our bodies push away possible cancer forming cells..
    Awsome for anti aging apearances..
    Anyway, if you have too much coffee, and your on this site, you must eat!! even a piece of multigrain toast with
    butter or non-hydrogenated margrine. Never starve yourself. Specially with coffee, you'll feel dehydrated, irritable,
    grumpy, and not quite feel yourself.
    Good Luck, and all the best!! :flowerforyou:
  • Frappuzzino
    Frappuzzino Posts: 342 Member
    Like any habbit - doing it enough, you will end up continuing it, and thus not other things; fluids, food...
    I quit coffee as i drank it way!!! to much, but i was addicted and commited to finding something that would
    give me the fix that coffee did. cuz i had to have that cup of joe in the AM come hell o r high water!!
    I started to drink green tea, what a plus with all its other benifets; great skin,
    good for the motabilsm, long term benifets to help our bodies push away possible cancer forming cells..
    Awsome for anti aging apearances..
    Anyway, if you have too much coffee, and your on this site, you must eat!! even a piece of multigrain toast with
    butter or non-hydrogenated margrine. Never starve yourself. Specially with coffee, you'll feel dehydrated, irritable,
    grumpy, and not quite feel yourself.
    Good Luck, and all the best!! :flowerforyou:

This was my first cup of coffee in a long while. I definitely don't drink it too much! I drink green tea way more often. :)
  • troythegeek
    troythegeek Posts: 47
    I have never been much of a coffee drinker, but we have one of those Keurig coffee machines at work now and I have been drinking more. I only drink a cup a day and have noticed that if I wait until around 10am then I'm not as hungry when lunch rolls around at 1:30pm. It seems to really help!
  • ZeroTX
    ZeroTX Posts: 179 Member
    This has been my experience as well. What's more, I tire of all the "quit the coffee addiction" mantras, as if it's like smoking. To the contrary, all evidence points to coffee being good for your brain, and even preventing or reducing the effects of Alzheimer's.

http://www.thementalfitnesscenter.com/blog/coffee-prevents-alzheimers-disease/

Google the phrase "coffee prevents alzheimers" to find a few dozen other articles and studies.

My favorite, though suggests that the trifecta of reading, being bilingual (or learning a second language), and DRINKING COFFEE will keep your brain young as you age:

http://www.sdkrashen.com/articles/Keeping_Your_Brain_Young.pdf

Keep drinking coffee. Not only does it keep you from eating, it keeps your brain sharper.
  • 1shauna1
    1shauna1 Posts: 993 Member
    I think it does. For some it also helps to get the "mail moving" if you know what I mean, lol. I love coffee; need one in the morning to get my day started right! I don't know if it makes me feel more awake, but I love the taste of it! And it does have benefits as mentioned previously.
  • tehzephyrsong
    tehzephyrsong Posts: 435 Member
    Yes, caffeine can have appetite suppressant qualities. This is a common effect of many stimulant drugs. A cup of black coffee--no cream or sugar--is only 2 calories, furthermore, so if you can drink it black, it should help prevent snacking during the day (should you have that problem).
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Caffeine is a well-known appetite suppressant. Most over-the-counter diet pills contain large amounts of caffeine. (Unfortunately, you get used to the effect pretty quickly.)
  • BryGuy2
    BryGuy2 Posts: 244
    Coffee does work as an appetite suppressant for me. I drink it everyday at work, usually before and/or after lunch, when i'm hungry. It helps to hold me off till my next meal.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    It helps me a little. I drink a ton of it, but I water it down so it's more like tea. I don't put anything in it, sugar or creamer.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Caffeine is a diuretic, so be careful using it as an appetite suppressant. I'm not saying don't use it, just understand how the mechanics work. You need to replace the fluids the diuretic effect the coffee is having on you, which means drinking extra water a little later on.

The appetite suppression effects of caffeine will dwindle over time, but the diuretic effect will not. Many people have a great deal of difficulty differentiating hunger and thirst, and will eat something when in fact their body is calling for water.
  • ZeroTX
    ZeroTX Posts: 179 Member
    Caffeine is a diuretic, so be careful using it as an appetite suppressant. I'm not saying don't use it, just understand how the mechanics work. You need to replace the fluids the diuretic effect the coffee is having on you, which means drinking extra water a little later on.

The appetite suppression effects of caffeine will dwindle over time, but the diuretic effect will not. Many people have a great deal of difficulty differentiating hunger and thirst, and will eat something when in fact their body is calling for water.

Dunno if it's the caffeine that causes the appetite suppression for me or not. Some of it is the taste in my mouth and the mechanics of the process.... making the coffee, preparing it with splenda/sweet'nlow/milk, slowly sipping on it instead of sticking food in my mouth, etc. When I go to a convenience store, for me it's often the way I pass by the sweets aisle... just get me some coffee and that'll be "something" and not that sweet roll or package of ding-dongs that looks so appetizing. :)

Also, I do not get the same appetite suppression from sodas -- not even Mountain Dew (diet), nor from "energy drinks," which have a lot more caffeine in them... In fact, energy drinks make me hungry. I like to eat them with a big, delicious pastry.... Yeah, that got me through grad school and made me gain 40 pounds.

-Z
  • tenunderfour
    tenunderfour Posts: 429 Member
    Caffeine is a stimulant and that is what is in many OTC weight loss pills.
  • BOLO4Hagtha
    BOLO4Hagtha Posts: 396 Member
    This might be TMI, but I've noticed that when I have coffee before my breakfast (i.e on an empty stomach), I tend to need to use the bathroom, if I haven't done so already upon waking up. :/
  • princessdracos
    princessdracos Posts: 125 Member
    This might be TMI, but I've noticed that when I have coffee before my breakfast (i.e on an empty stomach), I tend to need to use the bathroom, if I haven't done so already upon waking up. :/

One of my friends call a cup of coffee and a cigarette first thing in the morning a "pipe cleaner." :laugh:
This discussion has been closed.