Too much water?!?!

Options
Quick help! I drink 64 oz. of water at work...but i still crave water! most of my calories come from food but even with just tea and juice it spikes the calories (even though i buy them light)....if i want water, is it okay to go over the 64 oz. a day?

stats: weight: 147
height: 5'2"
work out: 5 days a week, cardio and strength (blowing through calories really well) say 415 cal. a day
nutrition: staying within the limits given very well but concerned about the water in-take...

and is there any no-calorie suggestions to substitute for water?

Replies

• rachel82
    Options
    Quick help! I drink 64 oz. of water at work...but i still crave water! most of my calories come from food but even with just tea and juice it spikes the calories (even though i buy them light)....if i want water, is it okay to go over the 64 oz. a day?

stats: weight: 147
    height: 5'2"
    work out: 5 days a week, cardio and strength (blowing through calories really well) say 415 cal. a day
    nutrition: staying within the limits given very well but concerned about the water in-take...

and is there any no-calorie suggestions to substitute for water?
  • p90x_Dude
    p90x_Dude Posts: 332
    Options
    It is fine and yes you can drink too much water. You are no where near that though. I actually read that we should drink our body weight in ounces a day. That seemed a bit far fetched though, so again don't sweat going over the 64oz. It just may have you running a big more to and from the John :happy:
  • tweety3
    tweety3 Posts: 118
    Options
    haha. Well put Dude. Guess thats a plus for ya... more water, more running... to the john!! :laugh: :laugh: Gotta get those calories burned any way we can eh?!!:huh:
  • gogospice
    gogospice Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    The kidneys of a healthy adult can process fifteen liters of water a day! You are unlikely to suffer from water intoxication, even if you drink a lot of water, as long as you drink over time as opposed to intaking an enormous volume at one time. As a general guideline, most adults need about three quarts of fluid each day. Much of that water comes from food, so 8-12 eight ounce glasses a day is a common recommended intake. You may need more water if the weather is very warm or very dry, if you are exercising, or if you are taking certain medications. The bottom line is this: it's possible to drink too much water, but unless you are running a marathon or an infant, water intoxication is a very uncommon condition.:drinker:
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    If you're really guzzling water, the biggest issue you'll need to address is the loss of electrolytes from excessive urination. It's a good idea to make sure you're getting enough sodium and potassium, so keep track of that on MFP. Bananas and G2 or regular old salt will be easy to add to your diet. :smile:
  • Quenofcrazzy
    Options
    Depending on how active you are and how hot it is your body will crave lots of water. All I drink anymore is water..and I drink between 3 and 4 gallons per day.
  • rachel82
    Options
    Thanks everyone! That's muchas helpful! :wink: Really appreciate it!
  • CrystalBella
    CrystalBella Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    I drink about 100oz a day... and I'm on the potty with my 3yr old every 20mins! :laugh:
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    Be sure to check with your doctor if your thirst and/or urination become excessive. Excessive thirst can be a sign of diabetes.