Balance Ball Workout....

Options
Okay...so I got a balance ball, and a workout dvd with it and I LOVE it...I just got done doing the video and I feel like it really gave me a good hard workout...I was more out of breath than when I get on the elliptical or my treadmil...so I know I burned some good calories. But I also think this is considered a "strength training" workout and it does not count calories. But I just got my butt kicked a few times over. I feel like I should log it in cardio, but there is no option for it.

Does anyone else do these workouts? and do you log it as a cardio work out or just strength?

Replies

• roshong06
    roshong06 Posts: 196
    Options
    Okay...so I got a balance ball, and a workout dvd with it and I LOVE it...I just got done doing the video and I feel like it really gave me a good hard workout...I was more out of breath than when I get on the elliptical or my treadmil...so I know I burned some good calories. But I also think this is considered a "strength training" workout and it does not count calories. But I just got my butt kicked a few times over. I feel like I should log it in cardio, but there is no option for it.

Does anyone else do these workouts? and do you log it as a cardio work out or just strength?
  • BrandNewLaura
    BrandNewLaura Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    I have always wanted to do this type of workout...and since you have the DVD and the ball I guess I'll ask you my kind of embarrassing question :blushing: ...do you know the maximum weight limit for the ball? I want to get one so bad but I think I need to lose some more weight before I do so that I don't make a pancake ball on the floor when I try to sit on it! I definitely want to try it one of these days though! It looks so fun!
  • roshong06
    roshong06 Posts: 196
    Options
    I thought the same thing, but hey have different size balls. I got the largest ball, and I didnt' see a weight limit on it, but it is a burst resistant ball. I can tell you that I weigh 225 and it does fine with me...of course the ball is a little flatter than the 120 lb women on the videos...LOL...but it really is fun, and it works just as well. You so should try it, get the biggest ball, and you will be fine. Its a nice break from all the sweaty workout dvds I have, then the running I do..its kind of relaxing. You'll enjoy it.
  • Lexino
    Lexino Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Just so you know..you can log in 'strength training' in the cardio part so you can track the calories. Just type strength training in the cardio part. Glad you liked the new workout! :happy:
  • jlwhelan1
    jlwhelan1 Posts: 664
    Options
    I never saw a video, but I used a balance ball for my computer chair for a long time. I even got my grandmother one to use to work on her balance. I figured, every little motion for balance strengthens the torso,:smile:

Have fun, it sounds like a good workout.
  • awhistler
    Options
    I took a personal trainer class (for fun) a few years ago. The different sizes (in centimeters) are there for height. If you are about my height (5'5") you should get a 55 cm ball. If you are closer to 6 foot, you should get a 65 cm ball. It'll have that number close to where you put air into the ball, i think. That's where mine has the number.
    I use my ball, also, for sitting at my home computer. It keeps me sitting up instead of slouching (burning calories for "free", I call it). I drape myself over it, on my tummy, to stretch out my back, too. I try to do the other exercise I learned, but I haven't made time in awhile.

Ball Squats: put it against a wall or door; not letting knees go past toes, and squat as far down as I can go. At first, I only went a few inches. Now, I can go to a 90 degree angle with my knees, like I'm sittng in a chair. I'll try to post some others later. I'm so tired. I've been watching my 10 month old nephew, daily. He's my "gym" also. I do "sit-ups" and other exercises while I am holding him. It makes him laugh, and gives my tummy a workout at the same time!
    Who needs a gym when you have a baby around?
    Alissa
  • Stephomie
    Stephomie Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I love the ball! I teach a class at our local YMCA, but you can find a lot of good exercise moves to do on it on line. There are many good books that also have great exercises in them, including Therapeutic exercises on a Swiss Ball and Pilates on the Ball. You can get both from Amazon. Depending on the brand of ball, the weight limit is typically around 330. As far as size goes, your hips and knees should be at 90 degrees when you sit out at the edge of the ball. There are literally hundreds of different moves you can do on the ball. I log my class under cardio, then just count calories. I have a Polar HR monitor that counts calories, and I'm usually up over 250 in a 55 min class. Great job - keep up the great work.

Stephanie