Bread free lunch ideas...

Options
hols_blue
hols_blue Posts: 26 Member
I've given myself a challenge this week to not eat bread. It's gonna be hard as I often eat toast for breakfast and a sandwich for lunch. Can you give me some ideas for lunches that don't involve bread. Thanks

Replies

• melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Salmon or tuna salad on lettuce
    Soup
    Bean and meat mixture with salsa and Mexican seasoning (I like it over lettuce for taco salad)
    Crustless quiche
  • cobarlo14
    cobarlo14 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    place bread with hearts of romainne large leaves and wrap it up!!!
  • bethrs
    bethrs Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    some combo of the following:

soup.
    salad
    I eat a can of tuna plain often.
    yogurt or cottage cheese and fresh fruit
    just vegetables
    a cut of lean meat and veggies
    left over dinner such as spaghetti or casserole
    If you have a loose interpretation of bread, anything on a tortilla or rice crackers
    what you usually eat wrapped up in a big pice of lettuce or eaten by itself w/out the bread
    a naked burrito
  • Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    Lettuce or cabbage wraps. You can use any meat you like, chicken, tuna, or whatever. Oatmeal is a good breakfast one if you don't want toast. However, I don't know if it's the bread you're avoiding or the carbs, so another alternative is an omelette with 1 whole egg, 2 egg whites, loaded with veggies :)
  • lsd007
    lsd007 Posts: 435
    Options
    Steamed broccoli with brown rice, soup, salad, use lettuce to make a sandwich like "roll up"
  • lipt8611
    lipt8611 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    i LOVE plain greek yogurt mixed with fresh berries and cinnamon for lunch- super high in protein and without all the added sugar. And a couple more servings of fruit (today it was grapes and an orange) and I'm good to go until snack time! (which was a bag of lite kettle korn from trader joes, only 110 calories and SO filling!)

I know it's early to have a lunch and snack already by now but I am a HS teacher and eat at 10:30am haha
  • sweetCJ
    sweetCJ Posts: 144
    Options
    I do "fruit and protein powder" shake in the morning (keeps me full for at least 2.5 hours, then I have a fruit for my morning snack)
    I have a baby spinach salad with strawberries, red grapes, cucumber, carrot, feta cheese and a low sodium dressing.

It's pretty yummy, I eat it every day because it's so good. Just don't use to much dressing...I use 0.5 to 1 tbsp. The strawberries and grapes makes up for the lack of dressing!

Good luck!
  • juliapurpletoes
    juliapurpletoes Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    today I will be having a veggie/garden burger....sliced tomatoes.......and a little bit of leftover rice from last nights dinner.

when I eat things like tuna salad or peanut butter and I need to spread it on something, I have found a really high fiber, whole grain cracker without much sodium (which to me is the problem with bread - lack of fiber and high in sugars and sodium)...really scour your market and health food stores for some healthy alternatives in the cracker department and don't go overboard!!

and a good thing is also Lettuce wraps!

be well!
    :happy:
  • Robin1117
    Robin1117 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    I usually do any kind of egg for lunch: fried egg (using olive oil), scrambled egg w/ a little cheese and sauteed veggies, omelet w/the same.....
    Then supplement w/some pumpkin or sunflower seeds, apple chips, yogurt to get to around 400-500 calories.

I'm kind of boring but it keeps me filled because of the good protein....
  • jessie580
    jessie580 Posts: 87
    Options
    just make whatever you want to eat without bread!

I can eat a sandwich without bread :) wrap it up in lettuce :D

salad

make some healthy pasta dish for work for a couple days, freeze and take with you

too hot here for soup :\
  • Superdupermom
    Superdupermom Posts: 149
    Options
    After this week try to switch to tortilla rolls :) wraps are great!!!! whole wheat! you can do a chicken salad with tons of veggies! you can do tuna salad on leaf lettuce. soup. meat and veggies whatever you prefer...brown rice is good in portion as well! good luck!
  • silvafan
    silvafan Posts: 147
    Options
    I get canned chicken & mix it with mustard and that is what I eat for lunch, & maybe a hard boiled egg. Today I put the canned chicken over lettuce & made myself a chicken salad.
  • JesaGrace
    JesaGrace Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    These are some really good ideas....
  • pjrisher
    pjrisher Posts: 152
    Options
    I actually decided to do that too! I realized that although I don't eat a LOT of bread, it hikes my calories up when I do so I am just going to try to avoid it. Today I ate potato and leek soup and grilled chicken.
  • Holton
    Holton Posts: 1,018
    Options
    The perfect time of year to give up breads! So many yummy fresh vegetables and fruits available! Eat those vegetables raw or steamed, tons of salad options topped with some lean chicken breasts and balsamic vinegar. The ideas are endless without bread ever entering the picture and just as easy to pack up the night before or the morning before leaving for work! Hummus is great dip or spread for vegetables. Skewer some tomatoes and mozarella and basil or other veggie/cheese combos of your choice!
  • angelaplaxton
    Options
    Hey! I think you rock for giving yourself that Goal for this week. Beause a week is all it will take to break the "bread Habbit". Thats just what i did.
    I do however dream of a big slab of cheese on bread, now i just think its descusting!! lol
    i ate rice cakes, plain no salt obviously. and put light cream cheese or or peanutbutter(unless you have Peanut allergies use another form of nut butter). Hummus is great too!
    I like the tuna on its own, u can put that on a rice cake with some tomatoe slices too!!
    You keep at it, and msg me if your having a meltdown from no bread!!!
    HUGS
    PS i lost 5lbs that week when i did it too!!
  • cpumeu
    cpumeu Posts: 89
    Options
    black bean mango salad!
    black beans
    mango
    red onions
    cilantro

YUMMERS!
  • Sheltie2011
    Options
    You can have Quinoa, it's good for breakfast and lunch. Check out the recipes on the net. It's very good.
  • lkyeomans
    lkyeomans Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    One of my fav meals is throwing a baked potato into the microwave. I split it open and pour some Fat Free Ranch dressing on it and add some real bacon pieces (1 TBSP is only 25 cal) No need for any butter or sour cream, it is so filling and a comfy food. I had it for lunch today Only 150 cal for my whole meal!
  • mommacool
    mommacool Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Use gluten free crackers like Blue Diamond Nut crackers or Crunchmaster brand gluten free instead of bread. Top it with sandwich toppings.