Gain weight after workout?

Options
2»

Replies

• RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    It's probably not your workout that has you up a pound.
    I had a quick peak at your diary & i would say It's more probably that it's your diet that has you up. Make sure you are drinking enough water & eating clean & healthy...
    :)

Possibly, but the workout could have just as much to do with it (if not more). I can gain up to 6lbs the day after a good workout.

You don't need to "eat clean" to lose weight.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    -Muscles retain water after a workout to repair...just as an injured joint will swell to protect itself, your muscles "swell" to help repair them.

-You weight fluctuates. A LOT. There are a ton of things that can affect it: working out, hormones, the amount of feces in your body, sodium, etc, etc, etc. Understand this, and accept it. You can't change how your body works.

-If you're going to weigh every day, I recommend an app like Libra for tracking it. Graphing your weight the way Libra does helps you understand your fluctuations without going insane.
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Water. Your muscles store water after intense exercise, it is a protective thing and it aids in recovery, in a few days your muscles will shed the water.

This. Drink a lot of water to make it go away faster
  • Travisbalmelli
    Travisbalmelli Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Happens to me too. I hate it. But it is part of losing weight. Keep it up
  • smanning1982
    smanning1982 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    As others have said, it's just your muscles getting stronger and retaining water to heal themselves. I always weigh in on Monday mornings, first thing. If I exercise Sunday my weight is usually the same as the previous Monday or even a pound up (even though I probably actually lost 1-2lbs of actualy weight). So then I weigh on Tuesday and I'll be down 1-2 lbs from the previous weeks weight. Because of that, I now use Sunday as a rest day and drink lots of water and my real weight is usually pretty acurate on monday.

Take a rest day or 2 then weigh again :)
  • diggitydana
    Options
    Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness. This soreness is caused by microscopic tears in your muscle tissue caused by your work-out. These tears attract inflammation to the area to help protect and heal the muscle fibers. This process requires extra water. So your body will retain water as necessary until the muscles are repaired. I have also heard to take exederinThis can result in a 3-4 lb weight gain, this happened to me during T25 and by week 3 or 4 my weight started to drop.
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    I had a quick peak at your diary & i would say It's more probably that it's your diet that has you up.

Good point, i just looked - and you have a lot of high-fat dairy and processed foods listed. Plus I am seeing <1200 on non-workout days. Make sure you are eating a balanced diet and hit those calorie goals - you'll be good to go!

**EDIT - added last sentence.

If she's in deficit, high fat foods or processed foods will not make her gain weight. I'm on a cut at the moment and eating lots of red meat white processed foods, high fat dairy hell even alcohol. I'm also an athlete. As long as I hit my protein numbers I'm fine. It really is calories in, calories out.

The gain is usually water retention in the muscles carrying out repairs.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    1254541d1382070167-day-date-date-just-homage-zombie-meme.jpg
  • JackieO524
    JackieO524 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    that is exactly what i was going to say - i always find that after a really good (painful) workout and sometimes, extra salt - i show a gain but in a few days - i show a bigger loss - it all balances i swear
  • Polarpaly05
    Polarpaly05 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I love that this thread has been necro'd 4 times now.

June 6 2011 -> Nov 28 2012 -> Dec 28 2013 -> March 7 2014
  • Simrashah
    Options
    Hi
    I have been gaining weight instead of losing . My week plan is 2 days salad and the rest of the days normal food but the calorie intake is limited to 1200. I do treadmill or cardio 3/4 times a week and burn 2000 calories.

Before the above plan I followed the fast weight loss in one week plan which suggested the dietary chart and the cardio(slim in 6 plan) I did lose weight but it was just 2 kg.( this time weight was 63 kg lost 2kg and it came down to 61kg)

Now I have gained weight, it is 65kg. My target weight is 56kg.

I have been trying to loose weight for a year. I started from 61kg ,my weight fluctuates a lot and instead of losing I am continuously gaining.

Can you please suggest what could be the reason

Please share your views and help me to achieve my target :smile:
  • alazio
    alazio Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Thank you, this information about the water retention is very helpful. I pushed myself really hard in a new workout yesterday, ate right (under goal calories), woke up giddy to see what the scale would say. Was SOOO discouraged when I was up a pound. Happy to see that this may be just water...going to keep pushing forward.