Yummy, healthy, and kid-friendly meatloaf

Options
flausa
flausa Posts: 534 Member
So I had a pack of mince/ground beef staring at me today, plus a counter full of veggies and a need to make a dinner that was low cal for me, filling for the hubby, and good for the kids. So I played around in the kitchen and made an absolutely scrummy meatloaf for dinner tonight, full of veggies, and deemed edible even by small children. Yup it was yummy, healthy, and kid-friendly!

Blend together (yes, really, blend - all the veg are cooked through this way and completely hidden from children who don't like to see veggies on their plate)

2 medium onions
1/2 cup celery
1 green pepper
1 cup mushrooms
2 large carrots
100g sundried tomatoes (rehydrated)
1 large egg
garlic, garlic powder, onion powder, thyme, oregano, rosemary, salt, and pepper to taste

Once those ingredients are blended together to a horrible looking paste, gently fold in 500g of lean beef.

Pour into a bread loaf pan and bake for 1 hour 20 minutes at moderate heat. Let rest for 10 minutes before slicing.

The loaf was very light (perfect for a cool spring evening) and didn't need any additional basting as some of the tomato rose to the top and formed a gorgeous sweet crust.

This could make 8 servings, but as it was lower in calories than normal meatloaf, I cut it into 6 generous portions (that were still only about 260 calories each).

Replies

• gillianjoon
    gillianjoon Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Sounds great definately will try that. thanks for posting
  • snusp
    snusp Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I wanna try that one, too! :-)
  • christina0089
    christina0089 Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Trying it tomorrow Girlie sounds yummy!
  • mskatec22
    mskatec22 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    trying it tonight for dinner...thanks!
  • Dipmom
    Dipmom Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Sounds good! I put aluminum foil on a cookie sheet, and then put lots of little loafs on it. They cook much faster and there is no clean-up! I did this once because I was short on time and had company coming. They were such a hit with the kids, that I have never made a big one again.
  • EDCoffman
    EDCoffman Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Gonna try this one.
  • robynswallow
    Options
    Sounds good, will give it a go...