Cooking Frozen Fish

jacque1109
jacque1109 Posts: 129
edited September 26 in Food and Nutrition
OK, this might sound REALLY stupid but--- how do I cook fish in the oven.

I have frozen tilapia and flounder...

The package says cook at 375 degrees for 15 mins but, it still looks kinda slimy :ohwell:

How do I know FOR SURE the fish is done AND what kind of stuff do ya'll put on your fish (I put some lemon pepper)

THANK YOU!

Replies

• kgool
    kgool Posts: 177 Member
    You thawed it first right? I do 10 minutes per in inch of fish thickness at 400 degrees actually, and use a broiler pan or sometimes put it in a little foil pouch and poach it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtFEATf_ga0

Hope that helps, it should be firm to the touch and spring back when you push it with your finger.
  • sbwood888
    sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
    I cook my fish straight from the freezer. No need to thaw first. I usually cook my flounder fillets for about 18-20 minutes but it really depends on how thick the fillets are. Key point: They are done when the fish is completely opaque and flakes easily with a fork. If it appears translucent at all, it is not yet done. I usually put lemon pepper and the after it is plated, I squeeze lots of fresh lemon juice on. YUMMY! Anohter way to spice is to put paprika and dill weed..then the fresh lemon juice. I like mine swimming in lots of lemon juice. :love:
  • Furrytreats
    Furrytreats Posts: 132 Member
    I cook my tilapia frozen and until it looks white and flakey. Approximately 18 minutes.
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Should be white and flakey as said above.

I prefer to cook my fish in a pan with a little butter.
    Then add lemon. I cook it from the frozen state.
  • mishelnkiki
    mishelnkiki Posts: 775 Member
    i personally cook it both in a pan AND in the oven. i turn the heat on high throw it in the skillet, get it good and warm on both sides for about a min apiece and then i throw it in the oven at 350. it just gives it a lil crispier outside, AND it keeps the juices in a lil better.
  • laurasnyder411
    laurasnyder411 Posts: 172 Member
    I love to make either a mango or peach chutney to drizzle over any white fish. I usually cut up the fruit into small pieces, add a tsp of rice wine vinegar and cook over low heat until it looks like preserves. You can add spices or different fruit. It's kinda sweet, kinda tart. The recipe calls for sugar. I don't add it.
  • Woodman725
    Woodman725 Posts: 288 Member
    i personally cook it both in a pan AND in the oven. i turn the heat on high throw it in the skillet, get it good and warm on both sides for about a min apiece and then i throw it in the oven at 350. it just gives it a lil crispier outside, AND it keeps the juices in a lil better.

I do this too, but I use the broiler to finish the top off. It cooks a little faster, so you really have to watch it. Good luck, lemon pepper = YUMMM! I think I may have some fish tonight.
  • ZebraHead
    ZebraHead Posts: 15,207 Member
    I always thaw my frozen seafood (fish filets, not talking about fish-sticks).

Season and pan sear, then finish under the broiler.

Never try to cook a frozen fish....
This discussion has been closed.