Thoughts on this?

Options
Found an interesting article on muscle building for women. I would love to hear your thoughts on this!

http://www.crossfiteastbay.com/2007/12/why-all-women-should-lift-weig.html

Replies

• elle18287
    elle18287 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I totally agree!
  • carpar1
    carpar1 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting, interesting read : )
  • dragonbug300
    dragonbug300 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    Well, it's true. I've lifted weights for years but you wouldn't know unless I flexed. Strengthening causes more benefits for the bones and nervous system than it does increase muscle size.
    I lift 30-50% of my bodyweight in dumbbells (total, not per hand) in addition to other weight machines and calisthenics. Thus far, people have asked if I was a dancer, a runner, a swimmer, a model, or a gymnast. No one's asked if I was a bodybuilder, though.

I firmly believe that a woman should be just as strong and capable as a man. It's sexist to think that only men can look good while gaining strength.
  • angeleyes13
    angeleyes13 Posts: 22
    Options
    This is a strange article - for one, praising Marion Jones who was found guilty of taking performance enhancing drugs - including drugs that build muscle as they increase certain steroids that will do this.

I personally know that if I lift heavy weights, low reps and eat high protein and carb, I start looking like a body builder!! (during training for a Marathon a few years ago, I put on 14 pounds and it was obviously all muscle - not a good look for me personally).

I teach dance and I do Pilates, cycle and Tracy anderson workout (not all in the same week except for the dance teaching) and I use small weights, high repetition - for me, this means my muscles are as long as possible (so I get less injuries also) and it means my posture is better.

It is also important that women do 'weight-bearing' exercises as this means our bone density is as good as possible - after menopause, oestrogen no longer protects us from fractures as it does when we are younger. This is also true for women with any hormonal.

sorry for the massive post, but bottom line it is good to lift some weight, but they don't have to be heavy to be efective!
  • chellekoren
    chellekoren Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I agree and have heard the same from other sources, especially with the genetic disposition part and osteoporosis benefits. Some women can appear more muscular than others without even trying. I am of the type that will never appear ripped, but it won't stop me from trying to build muscle. Just from the standpoint that more muscle burns calories more efficiently, makes me want more.

Thanks for the read.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    Well, it's true. I've lifted weights for years but you wouldn't know unless I flexed. Strengthening causes more benefits for the bones and nervous system than it does increase muscle size.
    I lift 30-50% of my bodyweight in dumbbells (total, not per hand) in addition to other weight machines and calisthenics. Thus far, people have asked if I was a dancer, a runner, a swimmer, a model, or a gymnast. No one's asked if I was a bodybuilder, though.

I firmly believe that a woman should be just as strong and capable as a man. It's sexist to think that only men can look good while gaining strength.

You are my new hero!
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    I have been saying this for a while now. I'm glad I've been seeing it more and more on here. If you want a great strength training work out, this is it: www.stronglifts.com
  • alynnbennett
    alynnbennett Posts: 182
    Options
    Great article!! Thanks for posting it.
    I think it's absolutly true I work my arms a lot now because I don't want my under arm to continue to wave after my hand as stopped, if you get what I'm saying LOL I've been doing arms for about 2 months now and I am just starting to see results which I love.
  • jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Interesting.... I do hear a lot of women at the gym say they don't want "man" shoulders. You're not built like a man and can't build that kind of muscle, but old wives tales persist. Personally, I have nice cut shoulders and I love how they look. Makes me look fit. And I don't think I look like a dude when I wear my sleeveless shirts, lol.
  • rachmaree
    rachmaree Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Yup, agree- lift heavy weights! 3-4 times a week :) Balance it out with some cardio and eat clean.
  • BobertC
    BobertC Posts: 123
    Options

Nicely stated, My new hero too.
  • mtasleem
    mtasleem Posts: 49
    Options

Wow! Im impressed! and glad to hear that I can go up on my weights significantly and not bulk up. Def. important to be strong physically and mentally!