Large breasts = can't run

digby765
digby765 Posts: 163
edited September 26 in Fitness and Exercise
Hi all, here's a bit of a poser for you, while on some of my regula rwalks, i've tried breaking into a jog, (the old mix it up idea) my problem is after just a few steps my breasts really hurt.:noway: :sad: I'm wearing a firm sports bra, but the sheer size and volume and good old gravity come into play and i either have to support them (literally with my arms:laugh: i must make a really funny sight:laugh: ) or stop running.

Can anyone help, any sports bra that fits us big girls that eliminates the problem.

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    I'm not busty myself - but I've found some bras that are labled "high impact" - well, really lacking. I have to double up - or throw away.

You might look into Enell. Also, some bras use the smoosh 'em "uniboob" approach - while others have actual cup sizes. Stay away from "uniboob" varieties, not enough support.
  • Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    visit Title Nine online. www.titlenine.com. They have amazing sports bras and they are all rated for size and impact. They are very well reviewed...
  • Losingitin2011
    Losingitin2011 Posts: 572 Member
    I had a friend who would put the sports bra on over her regular bra for extra support. I'm not sure how well it worked though, or if it was comfortable....
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    I was going to suggest putting the sports bra over a regular bra that has an under wire in it. That way you're getting the support from your regular bra AND from the sports bra. Also, you could try getting a tighter fitting shirt (Wal Mart's Danskin brand sells some tighter tanks/tees) to wear too.
  • campi_mama
    campi_mama Posts: 350 Member
    I wear a G cup currently...I feel your pain. Look for an underwire, encapsulating, high impact sports bra. They're out there. They aren't cheap, but they make exercising much more comfortable. Herroom.com has a good selection and a great exchange policy. Good luck!!

Doubling up as others suggested is helpful too...
  • Noonoo757
    Noonoo757 Posts: 280 Member
    Yes I know this issue so very well, i used to have very large breast before i got a breast reduction, I would wear a really good regular bra and then put a sports bra over it. That would hold them in place really well. The first time you do it, it feels a bit uncomfortable but once you start working out its fine. Also the bra that is called (the Jog Bra) is a really good one for support.
  • JocR1
    JocR1 Posts: 1
    I know exactly what you're talking about. I am large busted to begin with + breastfeeding + running = discomfort!! I have tried MANY, and just fallen in love with Moving Comfort. I wear the Maia underneath (high impact with underwire) and the fiona over top. Works like a charm. Good luck!
  • nkenga
    nkenga Posts: 46
    I know a number of women with DD's who work in a gymnastics school, and they double-up (regular bra under sports bra). It works for them. I've never tried it.

I'm a 36DD, and I've found the Danskin Now High Impact Active sports bra at Walmart works pretty well for me. Another decent one is the C9 High Impact Sports bra at Target. Both come in actual bra size (as in, 34B, 36DD, etc. instead of Small, Medium, Large).

I do walking/running on the treadmill, yoga, and self-defense (krav maga). Both these bras work for me for all these activities.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    How big are they? I started out running at a 32GG, and the only bra that worked was the Freya underwired one. I've just bought a shock absorber and it's working now, but they didn't do the job back when I was a GG. You need serious support. Like scaffolding.
  • gingembre1
    gingembre1 Posts: 12
    Try the ENELL - It comes in a couple different styles, and it will really hold those babies in place. It was recommended by Oprah. It does take some getting used to though - It is a MUCH stiffer and tighter fit than any sports bra you've ever tried. But there's nothing else like it out there.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Oh and I didn't run while breastfeeding, no way. Not happening. I went up to a J cup.
  • lachicadelfuego
    lachicadelfuego Posts: 35 Member
    If you are willing to spend the money an enell is well worth it. They are stiff and tight so they take some getting use to but I love mine.
  • pixietoes
    pixietoes Posts: 1,591 Member
    Doubling up has worked for me. At first I hated to pay for an expensive sports bra when I knew I would lose weight along the bust line first (I always have before). i'm starting to look around for one now though.
  • katerpillar1000
    katerpillar1000 Posts: 13 Member
    Hi,

I would definately recommend Shock Absorber. I have a G Cup and am about to run a half marathon, so my bra is as important as my trainers... quite pricey, but worth every penny in my opinion.

Good luck! x
  • cc2r1511
    cc2r1511 Posts: 127 Member
    2 high impact sports bras! i am a G so I totally understand how difficult it is to run!
  • mandyschalk
    mandyschalk Posts: 93 Member
    I wear a very supportive bra (With no underwire) and the a supportive sports bra, seem to help me out.
  • dougstevens
    dougstevens Posts: 208 Member
    Once again, I hope I'm not speaking out of place.
    Being an avid tennis player, there's a lot of stop-n-go; jumping, running, etc. etc.
    So you might take a look at tennis apparel for women.

Wow;
    what a coincidence; there's a similar post (and on the same day)
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/230846-best-workout-bra-for-ahem-sorry-tmi-large-breasted-women
  • digby765
    digby765 Posts: 163
    Wow thanks all i'm away on the internet to look at all the 'bra' reccomendations, I knew i could rely on you all.

It just never occoured to me to double up either....:love::happy:
  • theresnoeggs
    theresnoeggs Posts: 188 Member
    I have the same problem normally.

I usually where a reg. bra, sports bra, tank with the shelf bra built in, then a shirt. :laugh: I just feels like they aren't as free, not uncomfortable at all.
This discussion has been closed.