Sweet Tooth & Dieting

Options
Hello pals,
Starting this diet, losing weight for the better of my health but my main problem is that I have a sweet tooth. Do anyone have a desert recipe that is low in calories ... Basicly, delicious but healthy!!! :tongue: Yum

Replies

• slp922
    slp922 Posts: 1
    Options
    I have a major sweet tooth too....One thing I've done for a quick dessert is eat berries (fresh or frozen and thawed) and mix them with light cool whip in a bowl. It's sweet enough with very few calories!
  • marthamae813
    marthamae813 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Strawberry shortcake isnt too bad. Ditch the whipped cream. I eat Orange Ice cream bars all the time. 80 calories =]
  • jade6943
    jade6943 Posts: 1
    Options
    I also will occasionally eat sweet cereals (like fruity pebbles or life) instead of a dessert as most breakfast cereal is lower in calories and adds extra vitamins and minerals.
  • amandapratt
    amandapratt Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I portion out the sweet stuff I ate pre-MFP so instead of eating 200+ calories at once, I've got it broken down into 100-130 cal snacks.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    Something I've done in the past that has worked well is to have a hidden stash of my favorite sweet (for me, it was really good ice cream). IF I had low enough calories for the day, I could eat a small amount (1/2 serving) at the end of the day. I used a tiny spoon so i ate slowly and really savored it.
    There were days I'd look at the chips my husband had, or think about going back for 2nds, and then think, "do I want this or do I want my ice cream?" ... ice cream usually won out and I refrained from other sweets ... and I realized that if I didn't like the way some "treat" tasted, it was better to stop eating it so I could have something better later.
  • A_New_Horizon
    A_New_Horizon Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    I have a big sweet tooth also. There are all kinds of alternatives. Vitatops make a great treat, each top is only 100 calories (I like their triple chocolate chunk). Fresh fruit is always a good one. There is a sugar free brownie mix that my mom makes for me. If you replace the oil with water, it is only 90 calories/piece. I am big on candy bars, so I only eat half when I have a craving for them. Everything is ok in moderation, just don't go crazy. 100 calorie packs are great too.
  • Losingitin2011
    Losingitin2011 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    No-Sugar added fudgsicles! Only 40 calories!

http://www.popsicle.com/Products/Fudgsicle.aspx
  • KanCrav
    KanCrav Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    The easiest thing I can suggest is Jello Pudding. They have new 60 calorie flavors and the are SOOOO good!~!~!~! Other flavors are only arond 80 cals... and the chocolate mousse is to die for!~!~!
  • etarre
    etarre Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I also have a huge sweet tooth! My workplace is filled with sinful munchies pretty much all of the time, so I bring something really good from home so I can avoid the sweets that aren't worth the calories.

I eat two squares a day of a very dark chocolate...I especially like the Lindt and Sprungli touch of sea salt-- it's so intense and a little salty that it makes me thirsty and I can't eat very much, but it still satisfies my chocolate cravings. I buy one bar at a time, but only take those two squares to work so I can't cave and eat too much.
  • rsqsquad05
    rsqsquad05 Posts: 125
    Options
    I asked a similar question and got great feedback!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/230254-how-can-you-cure-a-sweet-tooth

Nuts sometimes help as well as lots of water....it is HARD when you have a sweet tooth. I am on day 2 of trying not to indulge. They say after a couple weeks you wont even want it anymore, we shall see!
  • gingembre1
    gingembre1 Posts: 12
    Options
    I have a huge sweet tooth. It's bad enough that I can't have anything dessert-like, because I literally can't stop once I get started. What I've found has helped me a lot, and curbs my sweet craving in the evening, is to have a half cup of 0% Fage Greek Yogurt with 1 Tbsp of Strawberry Jam from Trader Joe's stirred in. To me it tasts like strawberries and cream, but I find by the end of my bowl I'm satisfied, and not craving more.
  • kacarter1017
    kacarter1017 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I've made sugar free/fat free pudding, added fresh berries and a little cool whip- it's really good! Also, just the fruit and cool whip is good. I've made oatmeal raisin cookies that are low fat, high fiber and reasonable calories.
  • sbwood888
    sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    Skinny Cow Ice Cream Sandwiches. There are several flavors. 120 cals. My fav is the choc / choc and the choc / mint. YUM. :love:
  • Bviera
    Bviera Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I do a lot of baking because I find it fun (and because I also have a big sweet tooth!) and I've been experimenting with ingredient substitution to make my baked goods a bit healthier. For instance, instead of granulated sugar, I'll use honey or agave. I'll reduce the white flour and bake with 75% whole wheat flour and 25% white flour. For some things, you can use all whole wheat flour, but it won't rise as much, so be careful with that. Apple sauce or yogurt instead of olive oil and butter, etc. I imput the recipe into MFP's recipe calculator and figure out how many servings I can get. It's great!

I will also buy a single bar of dark chocolate and keep it on hand for cravings. I usually eat one square of Ghirardelli's 72% dark chocolate bar. One single bar lasts me a whole month. Alternately, I buy sugar free jello pudding. They're tasty and good for the occasional sweet craving. It's not good to deprive yourself, but it's important to keep sugar to a minimum. I believe it's okay in moderation, but it's taken me a long time to get to the "moderation" aspect of it instead of the "pig out" aspect! :-)
  • trevisam
    trevisam Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Check out the hugry girl website...they have really good recipes
  • Shellz206
    Shellz206 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Not a recipe... but the Kellogg's Fiber Plus Caramel Coconut Fudge are delicious!
  • southernbelle39
    Options
    I also have a sweet tooth and the 60 calorie jello pudding cups usually give me my chocolate fix. I've also found that minute maid makes frozen lemonade tubes that are under 100 calories and are very refreshing (especially since it's been getting warmer out).

I hope this helps!
  • laniackerman1
    Options
    I like Weight Watchers mini ice cream tubs they have 77Kcals each and are so tasty! YOu'd never think you are eating diet ice cream... At tesco they come in a 4 pack (2 chocolate tubs and 2 toffee tubs)! So Yum! x
  • ddamore
    ddamore Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Wow i'm so glad this question was asked and you guys gave some great tips! I'm big on ice cream and usually buy cake cones that way I can portion how much ice cream i eat. But I might check out those skinny cow ice cream bars and start investing in some jello! Thanks ladies!
  • tmaksparkie
    tmaksparkie Posts: 279
    Options
    Gum!!!!!! I chew it when I have a craving. My fav is the dessert gum by extra I think. Love the mint chocolate chip ice cream. Or I go for cinnamon because after chewing that I don't want to eat anything it tastes gross.