Thai recipes needed

Options
ofccat
ofccat Posts: 284 Member
My husband and I went to Thailand several years ago and loved it! Anyway we really enjoyed a garlic cashew chicken there and I can not seem to recreate it let alone a healthy version. Anyone have one or any other healthy Thai recipes they want to share?

Replies

• RTricia
    RTricia Posts: 720
    Options
    a lady on here (I forgot to thank her!) gave us all a recipe for Larb:

She writes:

This is something I have regularly for lunch or a main meal- it is absolutely beautiful and sooooo low in fat/cals/carbs. This recipe serves 4 as a starter or lunch- or 2-3 as a main meal. It seems like a lot of ingredients, but they are all available from big supermarkets now and the whole meal is ready in under 30 minutes.

500g extra lean ground turkey
    2 lemongrass stalks, woody outer leaves removed
    4 kaffir lime leaves
    3 garlic cloves, peeled
    1 thumb sized piece fresh ginger, peeled
    2 birds eye chillis
    1 tbsp thai fish sauce
    1 tbsp light soy sauce
    2 tsp sesame oil
    1 tsp granulated splenda
    Small bunch fresh corriander (Cilantro)
    Small bunch fresh Basil (Thai holy basil if you can get it)
    Small bunch fresh mint
    Gem lettuce leaves, to serve
    Spring onions, to serve
    Cucumber sticks, to serve
    Lime wedges, to serve
    Spray oil (1 cal spray- approx 20 sprays), for frying

*In a food processor, grind the lemongrass, chillis, ginger, garlic and lime leaves into a paste.
    *Spray a hot pan with spray oil and add minced turkey. Add the lemongrass paste and fry for 5 mins until cooked through.
    *Add the soy sauce, fish sauce, sesame oil and splenda and stir through. Bubble away for a further 2 mins unil liquid has almost evaporated.
    * Turn off the heat and add the fresh chopped herbs and spring onions. Spoon into gem lettuce cups and serve with cucumber sticks and lime wedges.

Per serving: 261 cals, 9g carbs, 1g saturated fat, 39g protein.

Add more/less chilli to taste, or substitute with chilli flakes/powder. For a more substatial meal serve with rice/shirataki noodles & beansprouts mixed in.
  • ejmcam
    ejmcam Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I love thai peanut chicken. You can buy a prepared peanut grill sauce that is relatively low calories, or make your own using all natural peanut butter, soy sauce, juice of a lime, garlic, ginger (to taste) red pepper flakes. I eat that over chicken, with brown rice or whole grain spaghetti, or sometimes soba noodles (buckwheat noodles)
  • kyodi
    kyodi Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Adding to my topics via comment. LOVE thai food. I'll see if my thai basil chicken recipe is packed yet or not; if not I'll post it when I get home :-D
  • ofccat
    ofccat Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the recipes! Can't wait to try,
  • Snelllee
    Snelllee Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    bump
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    Here ya go! http://www.realthairecipes.com/ I have made the garlic pepper chicken, it was fantastic!
  • meggiemaye
    meggiemaye Posts: 117
    Options
    Ooh! I make up a vegetarian pad thai sauce or a sweet chili sauce from random online recipes and then put that over tofu...it gives you the flavors of Thailand without the heavy carbs from noodles and ickiness like fermented fish sauce! Gross! :tongue:
  • justcallmejennifer
    justcallmejennifer Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    cant wait to try these!
  • ColoradoRobin
    ColoradoRobin Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I made a Thai dish using some fresh veggies, tofu, sesame oil, peanut butter, lime, Bangkok blend from Penzey's spices, and Miracle Noodles (shiritaki). It was quite good, just take some Beano first, lol. The noodles are a type of soluble fiber from an Asian root, and like all fiber, can be a bit gassy. The good thing is they are zero calories. They smell fishy when you open them, but you just rinse them thoroughly. I cooked them in the pan with everything so they would take on the flavor of the sauce. I hear there is a soy shiritaki blend noodle at Whole Foods that may be good as well.