Fat and Flying

Options
I'm booking a trip to Nashville this summer. I haven't flown in a while...and I think I could actually be down to the weight I've flown at before by the time of my trip. But, my question is...what are these policies on buying two seats? I know I can fit in one seat...I just need a seatbelt extention. Has anyone ever been forced to buy another one? What is the protocol. Please just share your knowledge. I'm around 340 lbs right now.

Replies

• jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Honestly I avoided flying when I was at my heaviest so I can't really answer your question. I would recommend calling the airline to find out their policy on "large" people.
  • Tomhusker
    Tomhusker Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I've never had to buy 2 seats, but I don't fly Southwest. They are the ones who are notorious for that BS policy.
  • rosey808
    rosey808 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I don't know the policy either. Have you considered requesting a seat next to an empty one? If the flight isn't full that could be a good option.
  • SimplyDeLish
    SimplyDeLish Posts: 539
    Options
    I've never had to buy 2 seats, but I don't fly Southwest. They are the ones who are notorious for that BS policy.

I agree. Steer clear of Southwest and you should be fine. You'll be most comfortable in an aisle or window seat. If you think you'll need a restroom break on the flight - get an aisle seat. If you are lucky enough to be flying with family - so you don't need to sit by obnoxious and sometimes rude strangers - there should be no issues.
  • CeleryStalker
    CeleryStalker Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I'm going to ask a question and I'm going to preface it with this: I'm not trying to be rude. I'm a big girl myself, LOL. My question is, why is the policy considered to be BS? Space on an aircraft is at a minimum. Even fit people feel crammed into the tiny little seats, and God forbid you've got a really long flight to try to get comfy for.

The last flight I was on (Delta...ooh they had nicer seating than American Airlines...roomier, bigger, cleaner, neater, newer), the person sitting next to me was obese in a big way. I wasn't rude to her, and we actually chit chatted about weight, weight loss, how embarrassing it was for her to be spilling over into my seat, how she had actually lost 100# already, etc etc etc. She apologized about her size pretty much nonstop from one side of the country to the other. It was more mentally uncomfortable for me than physically.

But my question does relate back to that. You have lots of people in confined places, and there isn't always the luxury of an empty seat. Why should any passenger have to deal with having another one basically right on top of half their body? She literally had nowhere to go but into my arms, lap, and workspace, despite the fact she was sitting in the aisle seat. Aisle seats are only good for one side of the problem. LOL

I was too busy feeling bad for her to be angry that my tiny space was being taken over by the person sitting next to me, but I can see where it would really make someone angry....especially if the person sitting next to them was really overweight and rude/obnoxious/unbathed/etc. It's not just skinny people who can be these things, ;)

Again, I'm not trying to be mean, and I feel like I've outlined my question well enough that people can understand I'm not trying to be a big fat meanie. I sincerely would just like to know why folks think it's unfair for people too large to occupy one seat are sometimes required to purchase a second seat?
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    I'd speak with the airline about it.
  • bmontgomery87
    Options
    sorry stupid cpu keeps double posting
  • bmontgomery87
    Options

Again, I'm not trying to be mean, and I feel like I've outlined my question well enough that people can understand I'm not trying to be a big fat meanie. I sincerely would just like to know why folks think it's unfair for people too large to occupy one seat are sometimes required to purchase a second seat?

I actually agree with the policy. I'm not trying to be a jerk.
    But If I go to a restaurant and choose to eat 2 entrees, I'm gonna have to pay for both of them.
    If you're using extra space (the service the airline provides) on the plane, you should have to pay extra.
    Thats money the airline would lose, and that isn't fair to them. They lose a seat, and also pay more for gas due to your weight.

Again not trying to be a jerk, I just agree with the policy.
  • dian1227
    dian1227 Posts: 122 Member
    Options

I actually agree with the policy. I'm not trying to be a jerk.
    But If I go to a restaurant and choose to eat 2 entrees, I'm gonna have to pay for both of them.
    If you're using extra space (the service the airline provides) on the plane, you should have to pay extra.
    Thats money the airline would lose, and that isn't fair to them. They lose a seat, and also pay more for gas due to your weight.

Again not trying to be a jerk, I just agree with the policy.

I don't think anyone is being a jerk. We have unfortunately created a severe massive weight problem in this country with out behaviors. I am one of those "obese" people. Its ok...I've made peace with it and am working on it. And if I have to fly I will cooperate with the rules. We all have to live here together, there are all sorts of habits that are not attractive, that's one of the reason's you can't smoke in buildings in a lot of states now...no one who chooses not to smoke wants to be exposed to something they did not choose. So if we weigh more, we have to deal with the consequences. I'm not a jerk either, just born unfortunately brutally honest.

Love all of you!!

Blessings,

Diane
  • rosieflo
    rosieflo Posts: 218
    Options
    Yeah, I hope no one thinks I'm arguing with the policy...I just don't know about it. I'm having some anxiety about it...and wanted to have some head knowledge before I deal with the situation.
    I understand that I'm super obese. I pay for it every single day of my life. I just didn't know the policies is all.
  • Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    The policies vary by airline. You can find them on their Web sites. Most will accomodate you if there are empty seats on the flight, but if it is full or overbooked, then you might be forced to pay for the extra ticket.
  • bugnbeansmom
    bugnbeansmom Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    The airlines are pretty reasonable about this. If an extender is needed and safe, you are usually fine with one seat. Again sites are really helpful. I will tell you that Delta seems to have a little bit bigger seats but not by much. US Air is usually farily good as well. I would stay away from Southwest. The seats are TINY!!!! I was on a flight to vegas with three 6 foot plus people and the other two were well within a healthy weight. We were cramped! Try not to stress out too much. It is what it is. I fly at least once a month and have never seen someone kicked off the flight.
  • grlaurie
    grlaurie Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I don't know how tall you are but I am 5'7" and I never needed a seat belt extention at 315. I flew alot and yes if the person next to me was obese as well it was not great but never had anyone be rude. The last time I flew I was 250 and it was awesome I felt like I had to much room :). I'll bet by July you are 300 and it will be a breeze do not buy an extra seat to soon!!!!
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    Something else to consider is how far you are flying. If you are going to be in the same seat for 2-3 hours you might want to consider first class. When my guy and I travel (he isn't overweight) he flat refuses to go coach when flying more than 2-3 hours. He gets uncomfortable when he can't change positions, lean back in the seat, or get to the bathroom when needed. Last June when I weighed my highest (almost 300 and pear shaped) I had to get a last minute flight cross country, one of the 'hops' was in a coach seat. I had the extender in an isle seat, and my legs went numb. I ended up having a bad bruise on my right leg where the seat had dug into me.

After having lost 55 pounds I caught a Southwest flight to Florida during the holidays and had no problems at all. No extender, no numbness, no bruises. Call the airline you plan to use, some give you a 50% discount or charge the child rate for the second seat if you book it ahead of time. Many will give you a refund if the flight is not full and the seat next to you is empty if you had booked it ahead.