Hungry Girl??

Options
2»

Replies

• chubbyspice
    chubbyspice Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I have made the cake mix with pumpkin... it is delicious. I usually make a spice cake and a small can of pumpkin, not pumpkin pie mix or the big can of pumpkin... yes you do need the paper liners because they will stick to a pan even if you spray it! I have made them many times for parties and people always love them... one time I added some cinnamon chips to it an oh yummm, but that was when I was not eating right!
  • agdeierl
    agdeierl Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I like many veggies, but squash has made me gag (literally!) ever since I was a little girl, so I haven't bothered to try the squash "fries"! I have tried the pumpkin plus cake mix cupcakes, and I thought they were kinda lame. I LOVE pumpkin, but pumpkin and chocolate do just not mix in my opinion. And for all of you who say you cannot taste the pumpkin, um, REALLY?! It was VERY obvious to me. Even my boyfriend noticed. I didn't tell him pumpkin was in there and he took a bite, and was like, "Is there PUMPKIN in this?!" And I followed the directions exactly so I don't know. Not a fan of boxed cake mixes anyway, they taste too full of chemicals for me!
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,428 Member
    Options
    I've made the brownies and frankly thought it was a waste of a brownie mix! I couldn't even get a teenage boy to eat it (and he didn't know what was in it). I ended up throwing them all away. I'd rather have the real thing than one of these. As one of my MFP friends said "if you think this is good, you've forgotten what good tastes like!".
  • Foxworth81
    Foxworth81 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I make the Yum Yum Brownie Muffins all the time and love them. All of my dieting friends like them but those that don't know they're diet love them too. I took them to my mother-in-law's house and her husband ate almost all of them. She even had real brownies on the counter the whole time we were there and he didn't touch those. It's a really versatile recipe. The Devil's Food mix hides the taste of the pumpkin but if you make them with Spice cake mix, it showcases the Pumpkin flavor.
  • SabrinaJL
    SabrinaJL Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    I LOVE pumpkin, but pumpkin and chocolate do just not mix in my opinion. And for all of you who say you cannot taste the pumpkin, um, REALLY?! It was VERY obvious to me.

Yeah, I could totally taste the pumpkin too, but I liked it.
  • chrisyoung0422
    chrisyoung0422 Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    We also tried the fries but the recipe was pulled from the biggest loser cookbook. They were ok but lacked the crisp you like without burning them a little.

The cupcakes sounds like they might taste ok.
  • craftylatvian
    craftylatvian Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Maybe the trick to the cupcakes is to use the Devil's Food mix and that is what hides the pumpkin flavor?
  • imxawesome
    imxawesome Posts: 9
    Options
    I've never made it as brownies, but I've used pumpkin mix in cake batter to make cakes and cupcakes and they're DELICIOUS. I find you have to mix it really well so there isn't a huge pumpkin taste or little bits of crunch from batter that wasn't mixed as well. But it's sooooo amazingly good.

And I've only tasted the pumpkin once and I've made it at least 6 times, and even when I could taste the pumpkin, it wasn't very obvious.
  • agdeierl
    agdeierl Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Maybe the trick to the cupcakes is to use the Devil's Food mix and that is what hides the pumpkin flavor?

No, I don't think that's the trick, because that's what I did, and unless you like pumpkin and chocolate together, I don't think you'll like it. I think mixing pumpkin with spice cake mix might be better.
  • Cbandelier
    Cbandelier Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I have made the muffins with the pumpkin and a chocolate fudge cake mix. They look kind of like poop but they taste delicious! Also really good if you use a yellow cake mix. They don't need frosting at all.