Calories vs Empty Calories

Options
KELM0710
KELM0710 Posts: 147 Member
I have been told and read that there is a difference but that was a long time ago. Is there really a difference? Here is why I ask. I want to work on keeping my total daily calories under the limit (that includes my exercise cals) so that I can step up the weight loss. I am only at 4lbs down and not that encouraged.

I am limited on what I can buy as most know, so My question is, If I keep eating the stuff I eat(making small changes) {i.e. no soda} and keep my cals down would I still lose?

Example I get 1500 cals a day, exercise average 450 makes total 1950, will only eat back 1450-1500 a day..Would I lose no matter what i eat?

Sorry if it sounds like I am repeating myself, I just want to have you all understand what I am getting at. lol Sometimes my brain goes faster than my hands when typing.

Replies

• ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    Options
    The first change I had to make is to eat cleaner. I was always eating the right amount of calories, but was still eating foods that were high in carbs, and were deep fried. Ive added fruit and am eating leaner meats. I still eat bad things, but far less of it. You are welcome to take a look at my diary.
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Im a firm believer in making this last a lifetime you should consume only high quality foods.......extra lean protein, fruits, veggies, very few whole grains and some low fat dairy. You may lose no matter what you eat, but the question is, do you want to feed your body that stuff????
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    It depends on what you are eating... we are lacking information.. if you eat candy bars, and chips, and donuts (ie empty calories) all day long, but stay within your calories sure you will lose weight but you wont be healthy, and you will retain water, and feel bloated, and your fat stores around your belly will stay longer... you will feel exhausted all day long, you will also feel more hungry all day long, and you will constantly crave sweet things.

But if you eat good calories Whole wheat pasta whole grains fruits veggies lean meats and stuff like that, you wont feel as hungry, you will lose weight quicker, your belly wont hold onto the "sugar pounds" as I call them and you will feel more alert, be ablet o think and sleep better. you wont be tired, your work outs will be more effective. and you will be happier.

Both options leave you with losing a few pounds. but option two means that your body will run more effeciently where as option one, leaves you run down.
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    Yes, you will lose weight whatever provides the calories you eat.

I don't know your situation or what exactly you are eating at present, but if you eat only "empty calories" you are likely to end up feeling pretty wretched due to lack of correct nutrition and hungry.
  • ellenangel
    ellenangel Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    For weight gain/loss, it is pretty much calories in versus calories out.

Though it isn't quite that simple- ignoring things like thermogenics, etc (ie, the science behind how your body breaks down/burns food), there are other things to think about- I don't avoid any specific foods but I am aware of how I feel after eating certain things. Like, I know I will be hungry again an hour after eating something like a candy bar or pure sugar- whereas, I know if it's incorporated into a more balanced/stabilising meal that won't cause blood sugar to peak/crash, I'll be much more satisfied for longer.

So on that level, it does matter- if I have a snack of a 3 chocolate chip cookies mid-afternoon, I would probably end up being lethargic/cranky and end up eating more later. If I had a cookie with lunch (ie, a turkey sandwich), it wouldn't affect me the same way. Ditto to dried fruit (which I LOVE), chips, etc. Throw in some cottage cheese or greek yogurt and the difference is amazing to me. Everyone is different though- personally, I seem to find protein and fiber hold me over between meals and snacks but it seems different for everyone (some people find fat or carbs more satisfying).

Figure out what works best for you and your lifestyle and incorporate the things you enjoy into your intake- I am fairly new to the forums but am of the opinion that all foods can be included in a balanced/healthy diet. Nothing is off-limits though certain foods I eat less of than others :smile:
  • ellenangel
    ellenangel Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I took so long to type, others said what I was trying to say in a much less rambly way :laugh:
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Well, here's an example of why empty calories are not the same as calories. I used to eat a pretty healthy diet, but my portions were definitely too large. Anyhow, I was up to 200 when I had my son, lost 50 pounds and was back to my prepregnancy weight. Then I started eating a lot of convenience food and eating out a lot b/c I work 40 hours and drive an hour each way to work. I gained back about 20 pounds, but was maintaing there for at least 2 years. Then I started drinking a lot of red bull on top of whatever calories I was eating to maintain where I was at. In less than than two more years I was back up to almost 190 pounds. The only change in my lifestyle or eating habits during that time was the red bull. Empty calories piled full with sugar. What you eat absolutely matters because you don't want to damage your body with unhealthy foods just to be under a calorie goal. It can be affordable to eat clean. The biggest helps are meal planning and keeping all your meals for the week within a range of similar ingredients.
  • jackiebo
    jackiebo Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Theoretically, you would lose. Although you wouldn't be eating the right nutrients to fuel your body, which could lead to fatigue, hair loss, loss of skin tone, fluid retention which could lead to high blood pressure. The radical fluctuation in blood sugar leads to the adrenals working overtime to produce insulin to counteract it. Over time they become "worn out" and not efficient, resulting in diabetes and other chronic diseases.
  • susanswan
    susanswan Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    Speaking as someone who has lived on sugar, sugar, and more sugar, I just plain FEEL so much better eating whole grains, non fat dairy, no sugar (use only stevia), no white flour or refined grains, and very lean meat such as chicken and fish. Don't get me wrong, there is nothing that I'd rather eat than a box of donuts, or pan of chocolate chip cookies right out of the oven! And I do mean a BOX of donuts or a PAN of cookies, too! I choose to avoid those things in my every day life because they are SO tempting to me.

I don't think that I could limit myself to 1500 calories of donuts or other junk per day! There is something about that quality of food that is addictive to me. I don't think I could get enough. When I follow my no sugar, no white flour to the letter I have absolutely ZERO cravings. I'd still "like" to eat those things, but I don't start drooling and driving to the store to get them, I can say no and that is the end of it.

I think when I turned 50 I realized that at 205 pounds life wasn't going to get any easier physically for me or any healthier for me unless I took the dreaded and drastic step to make lifestyle changes and pick the "rest of my life" diet and exercise plan. I am committed now to following through. I might slip up now and again, but the rule is I go right back to my plan. I refuse to get sidetracked on the way to my goal this time.

You are the one who has to live with your decision, but the good news is you can change it at any time. You'll never know how GREAT you can feel until you change your diet and eat healthy food. You might want to give it a try sometime. Even if I have to get up 3 hours earlier like yesterday, I am not dozing off by noon anymore! It is incredible how good you can feel! Good luck to you!
  • susanswan
    susanswan Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    Theoretically, you would lose. Although you wouldn't be eating the right nutrients to fuel your body, which could lead to fatigue, hair loss, loss of skin tone, fluid retention which could lead to high blood pressure. The radical fluctuation in blood sugar leads to the adrenals working overtime to produce insulin to counteract it. Over time they become "worn out" and not efficient, resulting in diabetes and other chronic diseases.
    WOW! VERY well put!!!!!!! = D
  • KELM0710
    Options
    I need to clarify a little. I am not eating complete crap everyday. I do eat fast food more than I want to and more than my body should take in. I had my gallbladder taken out almost 1 yr ago and I need to take fast food out of my diet completely but I struggle with it. Its almost like as soon as I say I am not going to have it anymore...Within days I am at a drive thru..Like as soon as I think I cant have something I want it more..best explanation.

So mainly I am talking sodas, fast food, cookies for snacks, chips for snacks stuff like that. I eat good at dinner and breakfast. Its lunch and snacks that get me.

lenneah1026 <--thanks for the add and I will take a look to see if it help me on my journey.

I need to incorporate more fruits.I think that will help with the snacking.

No I don't want to keep eating crap like I am but I am limited for a little while on spending. I hate how I feel after I eat too much of something or go over on sodium.. I wonder why I was ok with feeling like that before. I notice I am starting to make some healthier choices. Also my husband has just got on board with wanting to lose weight and start eating healthier which is awesome because I can buy more healthier stuff.

kimmerroze<--very well put, thanks for the info. I totally agree. I want to make healthier changes and I do notice that on days I eat better I feel better. I dont get sleep due to a little one who doesnt sleep but thats a whole other topic lol

Ellenangel<--I think another part of my problem is that I am home all day and am bored.. So I can't really distinguish between "boredom eating" and actually being hungry. Hopefully once I get a job this will all change.
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    I need to clarify a little. I am not eating complete crap everyday. I do eat fast food more than I want to and more than my body should take in. I had my gallbladder taken out almost 1 yr ago and I need to take fast food out of my diet completely but I struggle with it. Its almost like as soon as I say I am not going to have it anymore...Within days I am at a drive thru..Like as soon as I think I cant have something I want it more..best explanation.

So mainly I am talking sodas, fast food, cookies for snacks, chips for snacks stuff like that. I eat good at dinner and breakfast. Its lunch and snacks that get me.

lenneah1026 <--thanks for the add and I will take a look to see if it help me on my journey.

I need to incorporate more fruits.I think that will help with the snacking.

No I don't want to keep eating crap like I am but I am limited for a little while on spending. I hate how I feel after I eat too much of something or go over on sodium.. I wonder why I was ok with feeling like that before. I notice I am starting to make some healthier choices. Also my husband has just got on board with wanting to lose weight and start eating healthier which is awesome because I can buy more healthier stuff.

kimmerroze<--very well put, thanks for the info. I totally agree. I want to make healthier changes and I do notice that on days I eat better I feel better. I dont get sleep due to a little one who doesnt sleep but thats a whole other topic lol

Ellenangel<--I think another part of my problem is that I am home all day and am bored.. So I can't really distinguish between "boredom eating" and actually being hungry. Hopefully once I get a job this will all change.

Im going to drop a bible reference here, but learning is "line upon line, precept upon precept" work on one thing now, and as soon as you have that mastered then you can start working on another thing... so for now, work on snacks.. pack fruit, veggies, nuts, a glass of soy milk (they have really low calories) some whole grain crackers (watch the salt and sugar) yogurt... a few slices of meat and cheese, etc. once you have your snacks mastered then move onto lunch....

And just so you know... when you say you are going to quit doing drive thru meals and you make it a few days and then the cravings kick in, did you know you only have about two more days of resisting before your body will adjust and you wont crave them anymore? Kicking a CRAVING (not an addiction) only takes about 6 days if your body is used to having something and you deprive it of it.... for instance... it took me a good week to fight with my dessert cravings... once I got past that week I was able to go a whole month without one mistake... you just have to get the sugar out of your body... fast food also puts enzymes and chemicals in their food to make your body crave it more.. so once it is gone, then you are free! I haven't had fast food in almost two years, I don't crave it at all and the smell almost tips me over, bleck! haha it takes practice.. but you will get there... I promise, once it is out of your system the cravings drop SIGNIFICANTLY!
  • baldzach
    baldzach Posts: 1,841 Member
    Options
    Im going to drop a bible reference here, but learning is "line upon line, precept upon precept"

Reminds me of a song....

"If we are patient we shall see
    How the pieces fit together in harmony."
  • KELM0710
    Options
    Right now I am working on the cutting out soda.. I am on day 2 so kinda expecting a headache tomorrow. It hasnt been as hard as I thought but then again I stay home all day and I dont go anywhere and go shopping once a week. I just have to keep avoiding buying it and I should be ok.
  • KELM0710
    Options
    Right now I am working on the cutting out soda.. I am on day 2 so kinda expecting a headache tomorrow. It hasnt been as hard as I thought but then again I stay home all day and I dont go anywhere and go shopping once a week. I just have to keep avoiding buying it and I should be ok.