protein

Options
myfitnesspal sets your calories, protein, carbs, etc. based on your weight, i assume. i have been going over (way over somedays) on my protein and was wondering if anyone else has had this happen. i have read that too much protein is bad for your kidneys. i was also hoping someone could help me with that whole issue-is it bad? how much is too much?

Replies

• ellenangel
    ellenangel Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Is it every day? Or just occasionally? The guides set by myfitness are just guides and not a "one size fits all" but if it is way over consistently, it can strain kidneys- but more "concerning" is that you are missing out on other food groups if you are still within your calorie range but going over over on protein.

What kind of meals/foods do you eat/like/are pushing you over?
  • tgbjr1973
    tgbjr1973 Posts: 23
    Options
    I have the same issue (always over on protein). I discussed it with a trainer at my gym and he felt MFP's recommendation for protein was really low, and advised that I should be getting a whole lot more. He recommended 20g + of protein at every meal and snack, 5-6 times per day, which adds up. If you're working out (especially strength training) you should be eating extra protein, but if you're not working out this may be a little much. Also, he advised that if you don't already have kidney problems, too much protein should not cause any problems, but that if you have existing problems you may need to monitor it a little closer.